Khan splits with trainer

McGirt has made some real blunders doing that shit. A couple of instances: telling Tarver to use the 'jab baybaa' going into the 12th against Hopkins (when he was at least 10 points behind on the cards), or setting Gatti's game plan of trying to out box Mayweather.

Christ, I can see why there were a few "lol McGirt" posts then

(thanks - didn't know any of that)

I agree with you on the blunder with Gatti out boxing Mayweather but I think that was just because he didnt like Floyd and didn't really want him to outbox him but just pressure him if Floyd was being too defensive.

The Tarver Hopkins one however he can't be blamed for as Tarver was never going to win it out on his feet going into the last round so told him to use the Jab just to make it through imo which was OK tactics.

I said on the previous page Mayweather or Roach but that was purely because I think they are better trainers period than McGirt not down to styles. Also it doesnt look like the McGirt switch has done anything for Audley Harrison although Kahn isnt really a fair comparison but that may be a factor in Kahn's decision and might influence him to choose Buddy!

Tarver was not out on his feet by a long stretch. He had just resided himself to defeat, which for the so called undisputed champ is not acceptable.

Rather than 'jab baybaa', Buddy should have slapped him around the fucking face and shouted at him to do or die, this is for your family and so on.

I could never get over the fact that any trainer of that stature would simply sit back and let his prize asset throw a fight away like that, round after round. It was a disgrace.

But still who knows Antonio Tarver better you or Buddy McGirt. Tarver has never really had the will and heart to be a Boxer and that is what he needed to pull off a flash KO over Hopkins in the last round. Buddy maybe sensed he wasnt going to get it and thought it was better for Tarver to finish the fight on his feet.
The worst thing you can do against the best defensive fighter in the world is attack him and Buddy knew Tarver would be on his ass if he attempted to.

i'd be pretty pissed off if, anytime in any fight ..especially a title defense, where my trainer doesn't believe i can win.

I wouldn't want him in my corner.

Too right.

And I don't care too much for that 'finish on your feet' rubbish either. If you're gonna go down, go down fighting not running scared. I wouldn't want my name associated with any fighter who runs scared.

Look at Kalib Starnes the other weekend. His reputation is in tatters. If he'd have got KO'd fighting his heart out, nobody would have said a word. Nobody respects running and trying to just survive, it was the same with Tarver.

McGirt is just horrible for Blood & Guts type fighters. He is good with slicksters like Paulie but turned Brewster into a lazy counter puncher, etc.

Good that he's finally getting a real trainer. Harrison was just convenient since he was close to Khans home.

Lol, somehow I just don't see Khan and Roger Mayweather getting along. Personality wise I think he'd get on best with Roach.

Back