Khan ducks Alexander- Alexander/Judah + Paulie/Porter

That's too bad. Khan could beat Alexander.

But if he's guaranteed a Mayweather spot, why not? I mean lets be honest Mayweather doesn't have a lot of options and this was a fight that was talked about in the past. Let's get it over with.

By blame on this doesn't fall on Khan... whether Alexander was signed or not, who's not going to turn down that bout for Mayweather (especially when you consider that Alexander likely wins)?

My blame entirely falls on Mayweather if the bout happens.

By blame on this doesn't fall on Khan... whether Alexander was signed or not, who's not going to turn down that bout for Mayweather (especially when you consider that Alexander likely wins)?

My blame entirely falls on Mayweather if the bout happens.

Who should Mayweather fight then? Line up four possible opponents.

I honestly would prefer a Cotto rematch.

But there's Danny Garcia. Even Keith Thurman is more deserving than Khan. Erislandy Lara. All of those are Golden Boy fighters I think.

The only reason the Khan fight might happen is because it'd be big money in the UK.

I honestly would prefer a Cotto rematch.

But there's Danny Garcia. Even Keith Thurman is more deserving than Khan. Erislandy Lara. All of those are Golden Boy fighters I think.

The only reason the Khan fight might happen is because it'd be big money in the UK.

Yes, I agree about Lara and Garcia being possible matchups. Thurman is a young and dangerous fighter though and I don't know if it's advisable for Floyd to face him on a business level. Thurman vs Garcia would be an awesome matchup though. A rematch against Cotto would be good on a boxing scale but does Floyd really want to rematch against a man that gave him a really good fight the first time around?

Lara and Thurman bring no name recognition. No chance in hell.

Cmon fellas, ya know better than this.

I think Lara being Cuban could possibly raise some hype in some parts of the country.

LOL, no. Zero main stream name credibility or recognition.

This is almost as ridiculous as when President suggested Pacquiao face Abrgeu over Rios.

LOL, no. Zero main stream name credibility or recognition.

This is almost as ridiculous as when President suggested Pacquiao face Abrgeu over Rios.

Besides Pacquiao, who has name recognition? I think at this point there aren't many left with name recognition. Fighting Marquez would be foolish and Cotto is the other one left with name recognition but let's see if he can get past Rodriguez.

Garcia, Martinez, Marquez rematch (assuming he gets past Bradley), Alexander, Trout if he picks up another win, hell Golovkin's talked about dropping to 154 for a Mayweather bout.

Lara and Thurman bring no name recognition. No chance in hell.

Cmon fellas, ya know better than this.

Neither Guerrero or Ortiz exactly had vast amounts of name recognition. Both could tap into the Mexican-American fanbase which helps, but let's not act as if either were exactly stars, let alone superstars, before Floyd picked them.

I think Lara being Cuban could possibly raise some hype in some parts of the country.

Not really. The Cuban's are known as one of the hardest nationalities to promote to, even inside Miami and New York. For all the abuse Arum gets for how he's handled Rigondeux you'd be hard pressed to find any Cuban's who have been able to regularly draw in live fans or produce bumper TV ratings over the last 20+ years despite many of them being talented.

Honestly, I'm not convinced it really is big money over here. Khan's a distinctly unpopular boxer on this side of the Atlantic and not even in the "I'll pay to see him knocked out/embarrassed" sense... just general dislike and apathy.

I think this feels somewhat similar to the Calzaghe bouts with Hopkins and Jones Jr where HBO and Golden Boy assumed that because Calzaghe was as well known as Hatton over here and could get decent attendence numbers in Wales he'd have a similar number of fans cross the Atlantic to watch him live and tune in at 5am to watch the bout.

Suffice to say, the fans didn't.

Khan vs May does at least 1.2 mil buys.

Khan has speed and work out put to give it a good fight. His chin is shaky but Mayweather isn't exactly a big puncher.

Khan has speed and work out put to give it a good fight. His chin is shaky but Mayweather isn't exactly a big puncher.

He's a full sized welter and I don't really think real power is necessary to crack Khans chin. Julio Diaz had him falling all over himself. Lamont Peterson had him running too.

167672883_8.jpg

amirkhanvjuliodiaz.jpg

The guy just doesn't know how to defend himself. If Julio Diaz can find openings like that, I'm pretty sure Floyd can.

Khan is a big guy too. I think he was killing himself to make 140.

It would be an entertaining fight because offense vs strictly defense.

Hatton/Mayweather only did 850-900k in the US.
Guerrero/Mayweather only did around 850-900k... and that had the Mexican-American fanbase tuning in.

Khan lacks a constituency in the US. He can't rely on nationalism in the way that boxers with Mexican heritage can and he doesn't have the reputation that the likes of Cotto and Mosely could fall back on. His recent high profile contests have all been losses and his last bout consisted of him being smacked all over the ring by a gatekeeper. More people have likely seen him over the past year or so as part of Garcia's highlight reel than they have his bouts... although considering how underwhelming he was against Molina and awful against Diaz that's not actually that bad a deal.

I'd be amazed if it broke 1,000,000 buys in the US and pretty shocked if it broke 800k. And I don't expect the UK PPVs to add up to much.

lot of people underselling Khan on here, he has good footwork and hand speed which have traditionally given Mayweather some problems. He has a lot of heart to, which should offset his chin a bit

However, I don't think this fight makes sense, I don't see Khan really winning. That said, there is a lack of contenders. Only Garcia makes any real sense, and isn't he rematching Matthysee?

lot of people underselling Khan on here, he has good footwork and hand speed which have traditionally given Mayweather some problems. He has a lot of heart to, which should offset his chin a bit

However, I don't think this fight makes sense, I don't see Khan really winning. That said, there is a lack of contenders. Only Garcia makes any real sense, and isn't he rematching Matthysee?

I think that was just a rumor.

Hatton/Mayweather only did 850-900k in the US.
Guerrero/Mayweather only did around 850-900k... and that had the Mexican-American fanbase tuning in.

Khan lacks a constituency in the US. He can't rely on nationalism in the way that boxers with Mexican heritage can and he doesn't have the reputation that the likes of Cotto and Mosely could fall back on. His recent high profile contests have all been losses and his last bout consisted of him being smacked all over the ring by a gatekeeper. More people have likely seen him over the past year or so as part of Garcia's highlight reel than they have his bouts... although considering how underwhelming he was against Molina and awful against Diaz that's not actually that bad a deal.

I'd be amazed if it broke 1,000,000 buys in the US and pretty shocked if it broke 800k. And I don't expect the UK PPVs to add up to much.

When Mayweather fought Hatton, he wasn't the star he was today.

As for the Ghost fight, no the mexican's did not support the event because they didn't think ghost was a "down latino" and considered "white wash."

Every Floyd ppv from now until he retires will do 1 mil buys. The mainstream media loves to cover him and watch to see if his 0 will go.

When Mayweather fought Hatton, he wasn't the star he was today.

As for the Ghost fight, no the mexican's did not support the event because they didn't think ghost was a "down latino" and considered "white wash."

Every Floyd ppv from now until he retires will do 1 mil buys. The mainstream media loves to cover him and watch to see if his 0 will go.

You mean Guerrero's "down" father didn't help his street cred among Mexican Americans? I think the only more "down" Mexicano is Danny Trejo.

Back