Khamzat's wrestling is top class, "Rocky" stands no chance

Sage Northcutt has been training since he was a wee lad. He must be even better?
Yes, but unlike Khamzat Sage is not a Viking. Plus he was training Shuri-ryū Karate, which is as good as Wing Chun in the cage.

Khamzat has been training since he was 5 at wrestling. Won a bronze medal at a junior level in the Russian National Championships, and has won gold in freestyle wrestling in Swedish National Championships both Welterweight and Middleweight class. Not only wrestling, but Khamzat has competed in judo and sambo too...While Leon Edwards started his martial arts training at 16.

I smell a mauling incoming.

"I’m born for fighting; I always feel like that. I like to see movies like when in the war or history, like Vikings or something like that. I feel like that when I go to the cage like all the time ‘I’m going to kill somebody now and take my gold.”
- Khamzat 'Borz' Chimaev

Time to get on the hype train guys

I am on the train before he even starched Meershaert

Is the fight 5 rounds?
Think it will be if main event.
That’s my only slight concern, if Khamzat doesn’t end it in the first 2 rounds his cardio will be tested which is interesting in determining if he is championship material

I’m starting to agree. I know it sounds a bit absurd as Khamzat is untested against any ranked opponent in the UFC, but the pedigree and the skill set is there I believe. Leon is a great fighter, and I totally understand why many are favoring him as he has a far more proven resume. I kind of feel bad for Leon in a way because he put together a nice streak and had a chance to fight a declining Woodley for that #1 contender before the pandemic hit. Burns took advantage and stole his prize. Now the UFC essentially played some dirty tactics and bullied him into a corner. And now the Wolf is coming....

Last edited:
Think it will be if main event.
That’s my only slight concern, if Khamzat doesn’t end it in the first 2 rounds his cardio will be tested which is interesting in determining if he is championship material
This is true, but the guy has a long list of credentials in wrestling, which is always grueling. I'm hopeful his cardio holds up fine. Though I doubt it goes past 2 rounds

Edwards will beat him, Usman even struggled to get Edwards down. He is far better than you give him credit for.
That fight was a long time ago, and I’m sure both are better at this point. Much more recently than that however I saw Edwards get taken down several times and get his guard passed by a fringe top 10 guy in Gunnar Nelson, who is a solid fighter, but I personally have never been over impressed by. He beat RDA decisively but I believe RDA scored a few TD as well. Edwards has also not fought a guy with the power that Khamzat has. I’ve seen Leon get dropped by the same slip uppercut from an unranked fighter that Khamzat sent Aliskerov to the shadow realm with. Leon can certainly win this fight but I don’t his fight with Usman several years ago has any bearing on this. Are we also positive Usman has better wrestling than Khamzat?

Edwards will beat him, Usman even struggled to get Edwards down. He is far better than you give him credit for.
Khamzat is 100x better at striking than Usman that he doesn't need to resort to spamming TDs to beat Leon.

Khamzat will be the guy who threatens the WW GOAT title being held by GSP.

I don't know, man. Edwards is so fundamentally sound he's boring to most people, yet the same consistency makes him less prone to making mistakes than others.
Helwani once dubbed him "the MMA Tim Duncan". As a big fan of th GOATPUFF, I kinda agree but only insofar as the predictable excellence he's displayed the last few years.

i can’t predict a winner here but it is definitely a step up in competition for Chimaev. Either the hypetrain crashes or he might he the new big thing.

Edwards has sketched me out. I can’t tell if he’s really invested in fighting major opponents or if he just wants to keep his name in the rankings. This should be Khamzat’s first real test

Look to the Leon / Usman fight as a guide. Was Leon dominated there in your mind ?

Usman represents a good benchmark in grappling to compare Khamzat to. Do you think Khamzat has better or worse grappling?

Now consider the striking. Is Khamzat more skilled than Usman when he fought Leon ?

Then consider whether Leon has gotten better or worse since then.

And you'll have your answer..

This is a good exercise because I think the skill difference in both striking and grappling between Usman and Khamzat is narrow enough to give you a good idea how the Leon fight would go compared to the Usman fight.

I like Khamzat, but this is a real test for him. We get to see if he belongs at the top. And this is also a good fight for Leon, you get to stake your claim and beat up an opponent with name value while staying relevant.

but I wouldn’t count Leon out, he’s the more proven fighter between the two.

Guys from Britain have shit wrestling. If Khamzat wrestling is any good he should get the on done rather easily.

Usman fought Edwards and won 29-28. Edwards' wrestling and clinch game are very good and he's improved a lot since his fight with Usman.

In interview he said his plan was to fo for olympics games for Sweden but couldnt because of paper nationality problem. Then he switch to MMA.

I'm sure he could have been olympic champ

Back