Khamzat vs Edwards fight breakdown

dragonsfly

----------------------------
Banned
Reaction score
It is an interesting match-up lets analyse where the fight goes and how they match up against each other.

- In the striking department Edwards is good but he has shown that he can go down with one punch which means he would have to avoid engaging in a brawl fight against Chimaev since he has a one punch Knock out power. We will likely see Edwards backing up and avoiding a head on striking engagement with Chimaev.

- In the wrestling department Chimaev has also the advantage there since he has a GOAT level wrestling and can even get the takedowns via fancy carthwheel moves plus Judo trips and other tricks from the clinch which means Edwards would likely have to avoid any wrestling or clinch engagements.

- Speed both are equal fast but Chimaev has better transitions from punching to all of sudden takedown something similar to GSP in that regard.

Stylistically on paper Edwards is at disadvantage everywhere the fight goes and he can't just circle out of harms way since Chimaev is willing to chase him down. In my honest opinion he has a punchers chance in this fight and Chimaev is even equally deadly in the submission game. He represents real denger everywhere from striking, wrestling to submissions to end this fight outside of Edwards punchers chance there is nowhere else he has an advantage over Khamzat

Last edited:
Edwards could very well be able to get back to his feet once taken down

But I got Khamzat via smesh

Imo if he wants him to stay there he will stay there by locking his legs and holding him against the fence

Last edited:
from what I have seen on Edwards he has a change to pull off a submission from guard. At least we haven't seen much of Chimaev's defense against elite BJJ guys

Leon has experience and calm under pressure.
He is more technical i stand up and knows how to deal with wrestlers.
He dismantled another prospect from Caucasus, which was far more proven
https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Albert-Tumenov-60198
Just because he beat Tumenov doesnt mean anything for Chimaev

There are 2 different fighters. Edwards last loss was to Usman where he lost against a wrestler, I feel a wrestler heavy pressure will be his achilles heel. He's very good with his technique striking but to deal with Khamzat's wrestling you need to have world class level TDD which I dont think Edwards has unfortunately for him

It is an interesting match-up lets analyse where the fight goes and how they match up against each other.

- In the striking department Edwards is good but he has shown that he can go down with one punch which means he would have to avoid engaging in a brawl fight against Chimaev since he has a one punch Knock out power. We will likely see Edwards backing up and avoiding a head on striking engagement with Chimaev.

- In the wrestling department Chimaev has also the advantage there since he has a GOAT level wrestling and can even get the takedowns via fancy carthwheel moves plus Judo trips and other tricks from the clinch which means Edwards would likely have to avoid any wrestling or clinch engagements.

- Speed both are equal fast but Chimaev has better transitions from punching to all of sudden takedown something similar to GSP in that regard.

Stylistically on paper Edwards is at disadvantage everywhere the fight goes and he can't just circle out of harms way since Chimaev is willing to chase him down. In my honest opinion he has a punchers chance in this fight and Chimaev is even equally deadly in the submission game. He represents real denger everywhere from striking, wrestling to submissions to end this fight outside of Edwards punchers chance there is nowhere else he has an advantage over Khamzat

Wow this is a such a shit analysis lol

Edwards can crack as well, similar to khamzat he also had a flash knockout vs seth baczinsky.

Tumenov has striking background he comes from a kickboxing background which is completely different not a wrestler. Apples and oranges

Tumenov is no slouch on the ground either.

Just because he beat Tumenov doesnt mean anything for Chimaev

There are 2 different fighters. Edwards last loss was to Usman where he lost against a wrestler, I feel a wrestler heavy pressure will be his achilles heel. He's very good with his technique striking but to deal with Khamzat's wrestling you need to have world class level TDD which I dont think Edwards has unfortunately for him

Tumenov was far more proven and experienced.
Leon lost to Usman 5 years ago and is riding a great winning streak since then.

Leon has experience and calm under pressure.
He is more technical i stand up and knows how to deal with wrestlers.
He dismantled another prospect from Caucasus, which was far more proven
https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Albert-Tumenov-60198
Just because he beat somebody from the Caucasus means what? You need to watch some fights of Albert tumenov, he fights nothing like a typical Caucasus fighter and is pretty much the complete opposite of Chimaev.

Tumenov is a great striker with absolutely 0 ground game (where Leon took advantage of him). So Leon is gonna take down and sub Chimaev?

Back