Khabib's takedowns are getting faster...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by penontoc, Sep 10, 2018.

1. penontoc Orange Belt

I've gone back through Khabib's fights and have noted how long it takes for him to put his opponent down (and keep him there). These are the times:

Al - 60 seconds (controlled all round)

Edson - 102 seconds (down all round)

Johnson - 125 seconds (down all round)

Horcher - 160 seconds (slammed)

RDA - 85 seconds. RDA up after 60 seconds, taken down again 23 seconds later. Repeat.

Healy - terrible standup by Khabib. Took Healy down a couple times in the second round.

Trujillo - Trujillo took Khabib down in 80 seconds. Khabib controlled almost right away (rest of round).

Tavares - 100 seconds (knocked down).

Tibau - no takedowns

Shalorus - 182 seconds (knocked down then controlled)

What this shows me is that AKA Khabib has become more concentrated, more driven, and more single-minded. More than ever he is playing to his strengths. Unless he's knocked out cold, we will see him take McGregor down in the first round. It's basically a certainty.

2. BudKing8806 Brown Belt

Khabib taking Conor down? I never thought of that, thanks TS.

3. [email protected] Banned Banned

Thanks for that.
    60 seconds is quite a long time against Conor. But that is based on mendes/aldo and stupid alvarez who got his shot timing all utterly wrong.

4. [email protected] Banned Banned

Khabib doesn't have that instant control of where the fight is like GSP had.

5. koipin Blue Belt

But if he gets punched in the head as he tries to double-leg the GOAT....?

6. magicmarker Brown Belt

He has a knack for not being able to finish fights too. No matter how much he is dominating the opponent, he never seems to be able to put them away. Kinda strange that with all of dominant gnp the ref never really feels the need to intervene for the other fighter’s safety.

7. YouKnowWhat? Blue Belt

That's why Khabib will win easily. Mcgregor's offense will be taken away by Khabib's takedown threats. McGregor will be on his back eating Khabib's punches within 60s

8. Frankie Baby! 145 Champ

Khabib's gonna grapple immediatly tho. That's why I don't understand how people think Conor's just gonna starch Khabib with ease, when the ref says, "Fight!" Khabib's gonna shoot, or clinch automatically. Why tf would he take a chance against Conor in a title fight? Once Khabib gets one takedown, or clinches Conor, the fight's over.

9. dertdent Purple Belt

How quickly Khabib shoots is determined by the level of threat he feels on the feet.. Al was pressing forward, had Khabib's back to the fence and was throwing shots. To escape Khabib had to shoot or throw. Against Barboza, Khabib couldn't use his usual strategy of circling with his opponent and slowly pressuring them into the fence. To avoid kicks he couldn't stay on the outside. He had to get inside quickly and push Barboza into the fence. Horcher and Johnson were not pressing forward, but circling in the center, allowing Khabib to use his usual strategy. Khabib tried his first takedown on Shalorus 34 seconds into the fight, due to Shalorus pressing forward and throwing shots.

10. P4PSHERGOAT Green Belt

When has this ever been the case with khabib? You’re acting like he finishes all his opponents.

11. BJpencil Purple Belt

Khabib lost the Tibau fight I don't care what the judges said. He tried and tried but couldn't take Tibau down. I watched the Iaquinta fight and that was mostly standing. He couldn't takedown and control Iaquinta on the ground either. I disagree with your post. He did maul RDA, Barbosa, and Johnson. If this fight is on the ground he will probably maul Conor, if he can't take Conor down he is going to sleep. His standup sucks.

12. Frankie Baby! 145 Champ

Because 1.) Conor's not getting up. 2.)Conor will be so gassed by the second round if Khabib get's him down in the first 2 minutes, and won't be the same after.

13. WhosTheBoss Degenerate

All I want to see is a good fight. I don’t want a lucky Aldo punch from Conor and I don’t want 5 rounds of khabib on top of Conor.
    I want a good fight. Wouldn’t mind see Conor land some punches and khabib get a few take downs. But in reality it will be either Conor with a flash KO or khabib mail for 5 rounds.

14. TheAmericanGazelle Black Belt

Why do people keep saying "once he takes him down, it's over"?

Unless Khabib finishes him within the round, he's going to have to go through at least one more iteration of striking.

That's under the assumption Conor can't get back to his feet (I think he probably won't), or can't play an ultra-defensive guard that limits damage and passing (I think there is something of a chance) while avoiding submissions (Khabib's GNP is awesome, but it doesn't end fights).

15. in the liver Mo froots

almost as fast as jon jones can take down a tweet

16. Killashaw Banned Banned

Conor lacks the heart to scramble out from underneath Khabib. If taken down he's going to panic dramatically and end up tapping to strikes. Standing up there's not a man alive Conor won't exchange with, but the ground game is completely different.

17. abrasion Ancient one

Khabib just needs to stay chin down, hands up and circle to the left untill he gets ahold of him. That's it.

18. Feardoesnotexistinmydojo Green Belt

Scary thing is that he can transition from ankle picks so easily and chain wrestle effortlessly. Sometimes I think he holds back from the takedown at first and when he wants it he goes for it and usually gets it

19. penontoc Orange Belt

If you take a guy in his prime with a takedown record which improves fight-by-fight, and you put him against an excellent fighter, 2 years out of the cage, with one great skill but relatively poor cardio and a history of fighting smaller men, the odds overwhelmingly favour a Khabib beatdown.

20. Airdack sandbagging white belt bjj classes

Alverez didn't even have a chance, Conor didn't bite on any of the feints. Alverez got dropped in the 1st minute of the fight lol.

He literally said in an interview post fight that he didn't even see what hit him, he just knew it was hard. From there he was already scrambled and we all saw what happen next.