1. Season 7 of the International Shoop League is now active! Section A » Section B »

Khabib's striking defense

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by TerraRayzing, Aug 9, 2018.

1. TerraRayzing

TerraRayzing Little eagle soars again

I know it is almost a certainty that Khabib will get hit by Conor, like everyone does but damn, his striking is not too good but his striking defense is actually great. Sorta reminds me of Phil Davis, awkward not so great striking but his defense was pretty good. It's amazing because he has fought good strikers before like edson, MJ who has insanely fast hands and RDA who is known for his insane output.

2. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

He is better then what people try to make it out to be.

His training and sparring at AKA over years have made him used to dealing with strikers. He may not be text book clean. But he got good timing and not bad footwork..

Him going forward like that against barboza dont really tell the whole story about Khabib striking style. He did that to stress barboza because barboza is a bully striker. He cant fight going backwards.

Conor is a aggressive counter striker. Best thing for him would be to not run from Khabib. But rather stand his ground in the middle of the octagon.

Make Khabib come to him. And meet him with solid counter strikers.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    KevinLee, Phillyz, HNIC215 and 9 others like this.
  3. LouisBolanos

LouisBolanos Popcorn tastes good

So is Conor when it comes to grappling.

4. GreatSaintGuillotine

GreatSaintGuillotine You may not like what I say but it's the truth.

Yup his defense is solid. There are certain things that he still needs to work on but he's pretty good at not getting hit.

His footwork is pretty shit tho. I hope he's working on that.

LouisBolanos and TerraRayzing like this.
  5. Bumblebeef

Bumblebeef Black Belt

the thing is khabibs striking is very stiff and he looks untalented with it but he has an eye and the feeling when he stands. thats why he doesnt get hit much and thats why he can make good takedown attemps as well.

his stand up game just works different.

6. The Witcher

The Witcher відродитися

Conor is going to drop it on his chin, guaranteed.

7. xMaxPower

xMaxPower Black Belt

agreed his defense is amazing.
    his defensive footwork is very good.
    he always has his hands up and has them in good position.
    he doesnt really have head movement though.

8. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

True

LouisBolanos likes this.
  9. Shammon

Shammon Brown Belt

After Khabib tenderizes Conor on the ground for 2 or 3 rounds, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes for the exclamation point and drops him with a left hook in the 4th or 5th and follows up with GnP TKO.

10. AttackChopper

AttackChopper Red Belt

Cheers.

11. Mixedfights

Mixedfights Silver Belt

Lol....ok

12. Bumblebeef

Bumblebeef Black Belt

“His standup was really good. I felt like I was a step behind him, just from the first two rounds of trying to get up and stay against the cage, he was kind of wearing on me a little bit. So I felt a little behind, but his jab is good. Every time I tried to let so combos go, he’s awkward, he’s got like the Russians — it’s just a different style of boxing. They were saying he’s got his head up. I connect with everybody. ... It was hard to get to him. He’s tough, he’s tough. He’s got his own style. He’s awkward. Maybe it doesn’t look like it from the outside, but, he’s definitely, he’s fucking tough man. I knew we had a mutual respect on the standup when it was going back and forth, he was definitely worried about my power shots. But he kept me away with his jab and his movement was a little awkward and good.”

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/4/23/...rappy-striker-his-standup-was-really-good-mma

Spath, TapMachine and Axefan4life like this.
  13. AttackChopper

AttackChopper Red Belt

Lol..

HNIC215 and BeerAndKush like this.
  14. Portland8242

Portland8242 Brown Belt

He's honestly better off employing a kicking-dominant stand-up game against Connor than any sort of straight boxing.

I'm convinced Khabib's got an iron chin, and it will take Connor multiple strikes to inflict any significant damage.

There's no shame in playing the first round conservatively, which Khabib will most definitely do. Things went south real quickly for Eddie when he thought he could stand with Connor.

15. NinjaSpider

NinjaSpider Brown Belt

Joe Rogans hyperbole have made people think Khabib was basically out on his feet against Johnson. He was not. He even took some good shots from Barboza without flinching and people who say Conors left is more powerful than Barbozas kicks are delusional. Conor has good power and can certainly hurt Khabib but this myth that Conor goes around sleeping people left and right was created becouse of his KO of Aldo. Conor actually rarely KOs people , he TKOs them and theres a relevant difference when fighting a strong wrestler. Another factor to count in is that Conor spent most of his career styling on guys significantly smaller than himself and the one time he fought a guy about his own size he lost once and won one close dec. Conor can definatly win this but lets not get carried away with the overhype of Conors KO power

16. HNIC215

HNIC215 Semper Fidelis...

17. judge wolf

judge wolf 2

I watched him few times in EVOLVE gym and tbh I was not impressed when he spared with some guys.
    I know its not a real fight but still... :)

TerraRayzing likes this.