Media Khabib's cage wrestling: Making you feel safe when you're not.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Peli, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Peli Black Belt

Khabib throws a strike while moving his head, positioning up and across the body. This opens up space for Al to lock into the underhook, forcing him to stand up straight. As soon as Khabib feels it lock in, he begins to angle away and throw on the body-lock. Al keeps a wide base while lowering himself a bit to keep his hips lower than Khabib’s (a defense to prevent Khabib from lifting easily), but Khabib can then shuffle to the outside and use the outside trip with ease.

Iaquinta attempts to use an extremely shallow underhook + grip-fighting as a defense, looking to control Khabib’s wrist to prevent the bodylock. Once again, Khabib is at an angle towards his own underhook before stepping into his single leg lift and sweeping the right leg of Iaquinta out.

McGregor looks to break Khabib’s posture by pushing down on his head, hoping that Khabib will not have enough drive to move to the bodylock or double leg. Khabib simply moves to the single leg, and McGregor is too late on any sort of grip-fighting defense. Khabib finishes it with the lift and dump.

Khabib’s step-in and lift feint draws McGregor’s handfight and circle away defense, which Khabib corrals into an outside trip, leaving him in a dominant position.

Read more at the fightsite : https://www.thefight-site.com/home/ufc-254-khabib-nurmagomedov-cage-wrestling

2. Straatblaffer Green Belt

I still find it unbelievable how strong he must be to dominate every other guy in the octagon. Is he simply stronger, or do you guys think it's Khabibs technique that makes his wrestling so powerfull?

3. Peli Black Belt

as the article said:

“But he’s just so - his balance and weight distribution against the fence, when he’s on top, is so strong. Physically, he didn’t feel overwhelming. I’ve fought guys that are stronger than him. But skill-wise and balance-wise it felt really good.” - Dustin Poirier on Khabib Nurmagomedov after UFC 242.

I've heard many fighters echo the same sentiment. He's not beating people with raw strength, but rather technique and he has a strong grip.

4. Straatblaffer Green Belt

Thanks! I really wonder what Justin is gonna try saturday. Feels like he should be a pretty big underdog tbh.

Kaliph of Kush and Peli like this.
  5. Peli Black Belt

Same. I wonder if gaethje's against the fence, what will he do.

6. Peli Black Belt

I think the site is back to normal now. Let's see.

7. Joonyer Green Belt

[​IMG]

Iron Skin likes this.
  8. Haliacmon WRECKING EVERYTHING

Khabib has lots of raw strenght but its his tecnique and knowldedge of every detail and aspect of the mat what wins his fights, hope he´s emotionally ready for such a difficult fight with Justin, losimg your dad/trainer months before a fight is no easy to deal with

9. Ufcmaster Banned Banned

Pat Healy is your guy for that question :D

10. Peli Black Belt

I just hope he doesn't eye poke him lol.

11. moreorless87 Straba

Fighters are too used to opponents just looking for a single leg against the cage or underhooks, Khabib varies his attack so much its much harder to adjust.

Kaliph of Kush and Peli like this.
  12. stereolab White Belt

I don't think I've ever seen a fighter so dominant that arguably winning a round against them is a massive achievement.

huhwhat likes this.
  13. PokerandMMA Purple Belt

You missed GSP's reign eh?

14. Marko Polo wiggle wiggle Platinum Member

A lifetime of training the same stuff will make a person formidable at whatever they do. Also have you seen Khabib’s back? Dudes built like a ninja turtle

15. CodyMckenziesPrime Green Belt

Khabibs embeddeds make you go to sleep when you’re awake as well

16. CodyMckenziesPrime Green Belt

Who won a round against him, say his name.

17. moreorless87 Straba

<Fedor23>

Didn't lose a round between the first vs Arona in 2000 and getting subbed by Werdum in 2010.

HHJ, stereolab and Rust Cohle like this.
  18. FrankDux I'm tired of labels...

Gaethje must chop away at Khabib's legs all the while avoiding takedowns. Also...I wouldn't be surprised to see Gaethje do something he doesn't do much...which is some flying knees here and there. Who knows. Gaethje must compromise Khabib's legs.

19. moreorless87 Straba

The problem I';d say though is Gaethje tends to throw his lowkicks during close in aggressive exchanges and I'm not sure Khabib will give him those openings.

He's not really someone who controls distance and stings an opponent with lowkicks from maximum range on the outside.

20. Mage Orange Belt

Poirier claimed Habib wasnt that strong at all. Like he fought much stronger opponents he said. It was the pressure combined with weight balance and skill that overwhelmed him.