Khabib Vs Tony is the Mayweather Vs Pacquiao of MMA

Not even close. Who's Tony's best win? Cerrone, aka the guy Conor just beat way better but then everyone claimed it did not count and was a dive? Pettis? Having a super close fight with RDA? Meanwhile Pacman was steam rolling guys where Tony has really close fights most of the time. People will soon see it is a huge mismatch but Im glad to get it over with and move on to Khabib taking fights that actually test him (if he does to retire first).

Mayweather and Pacquiao are two of the greatest fighters of all time in a sport which has existed in a recognizably modern form for more than a century and was the pre-eminent individual sport of the 20th century. They're also clearly the two greatest fighters of their generation. Khabib/Ferguson is a great fight, but realistically it's not even Canelo/Golovkin or Kovalev/Ward in terms of sporting significance. It doesn't even scratch the surface of having the commercial significance of the fight, either.

It also should be noted that even though Mayweather and Pacquiao were both past their primes, they were both still top 5 p4p (Floyd was still #1 p4p) and far and away the top two fighters in their division (the marquee division of boxing). Pacquiao is still top 3 or 4 at WW today, almost five years later.

Not even close. Who's Tony's best win? Cerrone, aka the guy Conor just beat way better but then everyone claimed it did not count and was a dive? Pettis? Having a super close fight with RDA? Meanwhile Pacman was steam rolling guys where Tony has really close fights most of the time. People will soon see it is a huge mismatch but Im glad to get it over with and move on to Khabib taking fights that actually test him (if he does to retire first).

LMAO thanks for the laugh, good stuff.

Literally nobody thought Tony didn't clearly beat RDA. Tony also finished Barboza, Tibau, Trujillo. The guy you think won't even be challenged by Tony in April fought those guys too. All 3 went the distance with him.

Thinking Khabib wins? Sure. Thinking this isn't a challenge and is some sort of mismatch? Comical.

Khabib has never faced a NCAA wrestler. The best grappler he fought was RDA. Maybe Khabib makes it look easy against other wrestlers, or maybe he gets exposed. Poirier, Barboza, McGregor, and Johnson aren't grapplers by trade and have always had to struggle against that particular style. Just because you like Khabib, it doesn't make him immune to losing.
Khabib dominated Al Iaquinta, who has a wrestling background. Johnson has a wrestling background as well, and Poirier is a BJJ black belt, so he's definitely no slouch when it comes to grappling either. Even McGregor has shown many times that he has great takedown defense, and he is a BJJ brown belt. So this idea that Khabib hasn't fought anyone who knows how to grapple is just plain untrue.Now granted he hasn't fought a NCAA wrestler yet, but I doubt that once he does that wrestler will be able to stuff all of Khabib's takedowns. Especially not one that has fell in love with his own hands like Gaethje clearly has. Khabib is arguably the greatest grappler in UFC history, if not he's in the top 5, and his dad has been training him how to wrestle pretty much since he came out of the womb. I call Khabib the Mayweather of MMA not just because he is undefeated, but like Mayweather fighting is in his blood and he has been training all his life. It's hard to envision someone like that ever losing.

Mayweather and Pacquiao are two of the greatest fighters of all time in a sport which has existed in a recognizably modern form for more than a century and was the pre-eminent individual sport of the 20th century. They're also clearly the two greatest fighters of their generation. Khabib/Ferguson is a great fight, but realistically it's not even Canelo/Golovkin or Kovalev/Ward in terms of sporting significance. It doesn't even scratch the surface of having the commercial significance of the fight, either.

It also should be noted that even though Mayweather and Pacquiao were both past their primes, they were both still top 5 p4p (Floyd was still #1 p4p) and far and away the top two fighters in their division (the marquee division of boxing). Pacquiao is still top 3 or 4 at WW today, almost five years later.
Sigh, why do I have to keep explaining this to you people. I KNOW KHABIB VS TONY ISN'T EXACTLY THE SAME AS MAYWEATHER VS PACQUIAO BUT MY POINT WAS THAT THERE IS SOME NOTICEABLE SIMILARITIES BETWEEN BOTH FIGHTS. JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, CAN'T YOU PEOPLE READ MY EARLIER POSTS ON THIS THREAD?
Okay, rant over.

I think you mean Khabib vs Tony is the Mayweather vs McGregor of MMA.

Sigh, why do I have to keep explaining this to you people. I KNOW KHABIB VS TONY ISN'T EXACTLY THE SAME AS MAYWEATHER VS PACQUIAO BUT MY POINT WAS THAT THERE IS SOME NOTICEABLE SIMILARITIES BETWEEN BOTH FIGHTS. JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, CAN'T YOU PEOPLE READ MY EARLIER POSTS ON THIS THREAD?
Okay, rant over.

there are 0 similarities

LMAO thanks for the laugh, good stuff.

Literally nobody thought Tony didn't clearly beat RDA. Tony also finished Barboza, Tibau, Trujillo. The guy you think won't even be challenged by Tony in April fought those guys too. All 3 went the distance with him.

Thinking Khabib wins? Sure. Thinking this isn't a challenge and is some sort of mismatch? Comical.
Strawman. I never said he wouldn't beat RDA. I don't think you understand the word 'literally' either, as the fight was literally even money. I predicted that fight perfectly too, owing to Tony's toughness, RDA's sloppiness, Tony's size advantage and atleast competent wrestling enough to avoid being bullied. RDA and Tony proved to be incredibly close in level tho. That is the gap we will be dealing with Khabib.

I HOPE you are right! I want Tony to win but I do not think he has a chance based upon styles: he is a former low level college wrestler that contacted severe Hendonitis and only worked on his striking, and as result, he gets outwrestled and takedown by Pettis.

Strawman. I never said he wouldn't beat RDA. I don't think you understand the word 'literally' either, as the fight was literally even money. I predicted that fight perfectly too, owing to Tony's toughness, RDA's sloppiness, Tony's size advantage and atleast competent wrestling enough to avoid being bullied. RDA and Tony proved to be incredibly close in level tho. That is the gap we will be dealing with Khabib.

I HOPE you are right! I want Tony to win but I do not think he has a chance based upon styles: he is a former low level college wrestler that contacted severe Hendonitis and only worked on his striking, and as result, he gets outwrestled and takedown by Pettis.

Sorry, maybe there's a misunderstanding here. I'm saying nobody thought Tony didn't clearly beat RDA. After the fight. Not before they fought. You said it was a "super close fight". I assumed you meant the fight itself. Given the context of your post, that's the only thing that makes sense. Now you are talking about it being an "even money" fight which alludes to the betting odds before the fight took place.

I'm honestly a little confused by your reply. We are not on the same wavelength at all here ha ha

Sorry, maybe there's a misunderstanding here. I'm saying nobody thought Tony didn't clearly beat RDA. After the fight. Not before they fought. You said it was a "super close fight". I assumed you meant the fight itself. Given the context of your post, that's the only thing that makes sense. Now you are talking about it being an "even money" fight which alludes to the betting odds before the fight took place.

I'm honestly a little confused by your reply. We are not on the same wavelength at all here ha ha
OK, gotcha, brother! I thought the RDA fight was close but Tony won - maybe not as close as Cruz vs TJ, or CoCo vs Usman, but any fight that is 3-2 ish, I would consider close. If RDA scored a KD in that final round, everything changes.

I see Tony being better than RDA but not quite on the level of Khabib, who dominated RDA as badly as Usman did, maybe even worse. Like I said, I am a huge fan (how can you not be a fan of Tony?) but I am not sure stylistically it will be a good fight, seeing as I see Tony surrendering his back to the mat in hopes of scoring elbows and grappling from the bottom (per Bravo). Maybe it goes like Lee and Tony picks up steam and Khabib gasses, but I simply do not have the data or ecvidence to lead me to suggest Khabib will gas or be technically unsound in the clinch or on top.

If Tony wins, I think it will be the most rewarding win since Biping beat Cockysalt, Rose beat JJ or TJ KO'd Cody. Like that fight, I gave Bisping no chance based upon evidence and was thankfully wrong. And like that fight, I will orgasm if it happens. :-O

OK, gotcha, brother! I thought the RDA fight was close but Tony won - maybe not as close as Cruz vs TJ, or CoCo vs Usman, but any fight that is 3-2 ish, I would consider close. If RDA scored a KD in that final round, everything changes.

I see Tony being better than RDA but not quite on the level of Khabib, who dominated RDA as badly as Usman did, maybe even worse. Like I said, I am a huge fan (how can you not be a fan of Tony?) but I am not sure stylistically it will be a good fight, seeing as I see Tony surrendering his back to the mat in hopes of scoring elbows and grappling from the bottom (per Bravo). Maybe it goes like Lee and Tony picks up steam and Khabib gasses, but I simply do not have the data or ecvidence to lead me to suggest Khabib will gas or be technically unsound in the clinch or on top.

If Tony wins, I think it will be the most rewarding win since Biping beat Cockysalt, Rose beat JJ or TJ KO'd Cody. Like that fight, I gave Bisping no chance based upon evidence and was thankfully wrong. And like that fight, I will orgasm if it happens. :-O

So...I would say from a scoring standpoint Tony vs RDA was close because it was 3-2 in some people's eyes (and I think maybe all 3 judges had it that way?). But from a "who's better?" standpoint I really don't think it was close at all when you look at it in its totality.

Rd 1: RDA's round. Competitive sure, and Tony landed some shots but RDA's were cleaner.
Rd 2: Pretty clear for Tony. Kind of like rd 1 but the other way.
Rd 3: Really close round. Tony landed more, RDA landed a couple shots that looked a bit cleaner and harder. No issue with RDA getting the round although I can see an argument the other way too.
Rd 4: Tony starts busting RDA up pretty badly. Lopsided for Tony
Rd 5: Same as rd 4, but maybe more lopsided.

So you have RDA really only getting one round clearly, where Tony got 3 (including the only 2 that could be described as "dominant" or "one-sided"). It was a fight that started out as very competitive but by the end had turned into a beating.

Now...Khabib vs RDA. People always say how dominant Khabib was and I guess from a control and positional standpoint he was. But he did NO damage. None. He landed 36 sig strikes. TOTAL. For reference, Tony landed over 50 in both rds 4 and 5 in his fight with RDA. I get that RDA has a very good defensive guard, but saying Khabib "dominated" him rings hollow to me when he did no damage at all. It was a boring hugfest for most of the 15 minutes. No sub attempts even by Khabib.

So...I would say from a scoring standpoint Tony vs RDA was close because it was 3-2 in some people's eyes (and I think maybe all 3 judges had it that way?). But from a "who's better?" standpoint I really don't think it was close at all when you look at it in its totality.

Rd 1: RDA's round. Competitive sure, and Tony landed some shots but RDA's were cleaner.
Rd 2: Pretty clear for Tony. Kind of like rd 1 but the other way.
Rd 3: Really close round. Tony landed more, RDA landed a couple shots that looked a bit cleaner and harder. No issue with RDA getting the round although I can see an argument the other way too.
Rd 4: Tony starts busting RDA up pretty badly. Lopsided for Tony
Rd 5: Same as rd 4, but maybe more lopsided.

So you have RDA really only getting one round clearly, where Tony got 3 (including the only 2 that could be described as "dominant" or "one-sided"). It was a fight that started out as very competitive but by the end had turned into a beating.

Now...Khabib vs RDA. People always say how dominant Khabib was and I guess from a control and positional standpoint he was. But he did NO damage. None. He landed 36 sig strikes. TOTAL. For reference, Tony landed over 50 in both rds 4 and 5 in his fight with RDA. I get that RDA has a very good defensive guard, but saying Khabib "dominated" him rings hollow to me when he did no damage at all. It was a boring hugfest for most of the 15 minutes. No sub attempts even by Khabib.
100% agreed, mate. Yep, it was 3-2 and RDA was up after 3, but that is neither here or there in a five rounder.

I think the Khabib Tony fight will be born because Khabib will not look to damage him like McGregor, will rather instead respect his defense on the ground and play it super safe, possibly looking like Holm vs Pennington as Khabib won't want to empty the tank and will just look for positional dominance and to win rounds. You are right too in that Khabib did not damage RDA but just control him. I see he same here, as both RDA and Tony are good black belts that he will show respect.

Ideally, Id like Tony to Mas vs Funky him, but his most likely path is hoping Khabib tires and then he cam punish him, make him desperate and #SnapDownCity! #ChampShitOnly!
:meow::meow::meow::meow:

100% agreed, mate. Yep, it was 3-2 and RDA was up after 3, but that is neither here or there in a five rounder.

I think the Khabib Tony fight will be born because Khabib will not look to damage him like McGregor, will rather instead respect his defense on the ground and play it super safe, possibly looking like Holm vs Pennington as Khabib won't want to empty the tank and will just look for positional dominance and to win rounds. You are right too in that Khabib did not damage RDA but just control him. I see he same here, as both RDA and Tony are good black belts that he will show respect.

Ideally, Id like Tony to Mas vs Funky him, but his most likely path is hoping Khabib tires and then he cam punish him, make him desperate and #SnapDownCity! #ChampShitOnly!
:meow::meow::meow::meow:

I think you're spot on. I think Khabib will absolutely play it safe. But...Tony is more a wild man than RDA. Skilled bjj off his back, but not as conservative as RDA. This means maybe he can make Khabib work more or even do some damage or find some offense off his back. But...it also means more chances to advance to more dominant positions for Khabib.

I look at Khabib's fight vs Iaquinta and see in round 4 that Khabib was tired and could not take Al down even though he tried 2-3 times. If that happens vs Tony (not saying it will, but IF it does), that is when Tony can capitalize and pour it on.

Back