Khabib vs Tony - Cardio & Finishing Ability

Khabib doesnt take a guy down where Tony will be effective, he takes an opponent down where he is against the cage where he eliminates 3 of your limbs eaving you with 1 to either post up and try and escape or to block strikes to your face. Tony can submit anybody off his back and do damage off his back but Khabibs game does not take place in a clear space its against a cage where space is limited and takes away your tools. Khabib needs the fence to be 100% effective and still has yet to be in any danger. Tony is amazing but he cant beat Khabib against that fence with his legs tied up and one wrist controlled. He either blocks punches with that free hand or uses it to try and advance/escape which Khabib wants you to do.

All that is true, Khabib does all that well. But, can he do it over a course of 5 rounds? Whenever we talk about a fight and a fighters skill set it is under the scenario they can apply that skill set the whole fight. But in reality we have to consider damage and cardio which will be a major factor in this fight. Tony's cardio and durability can't be over looked. So Khabib can do all you said in round 1 and 2.....but what happens in rounds 3 and 4 when the takedown doesnt come and Tony starts doing heavy damage standing??

We saw Khabib slow down in round 3 in his last two fights and take the round off vs Al and Conor. Both those guys were fatigued so they couldn't at point mount effective offense but they did well in those rounds....Conor won his round 3. So how does the fight play out when Tony starts to get going on round 3 and Khabib is slowing down? How does Khabib deal with that pressure of a fighter who wont break and get tired like his other opponents did, but rather get stronger?

I couldn't care less about what people THINK Khabib would do in the grapple v lightweights as he's a weight cheat who kills himself cutting weight to fight at lightweight when he should be fighting welterweight, to the point 2 fights have been called off already and he fought through seizures last fight.

I know Woodley fights against the cage and is shorter than Khabib and would beat him hands down. Khabib's a myth who is basically abusing the weight system and if it was the old school weight classes he wouldn't even be a champ

The fact that Khabib will retire rather than move up up welterweight says everything about him he's just doing about 1 or 2 more fights as the cut is too bad for the weight cheat.
I don’t think Tony is any smaller though...

You seem to forget Tony Has 3 losses. One is a UD loss to Michael Johnson.......Who Khabib beat.........

So?

Khabib barely beat Tibau, who Tony obliterated.

MMAth sucks

You seem to forget Tony Has 3 losses. One is a UD loss to Michael Johnson.......Who Khabib beat.........

A decision in 2012 in a fight where he broke his arm. 11-0 since 14-1 in the ufc

How does that loss have ANYTHING to do with Tony vs Khabib?????

Tony’s reliance on scrambling his way out of danger (both on the feet and on the ground) is not going to work against Khabib’s constant pressure. Khabib UD.
This. Tony puts himself in bad positions way too often. Kevin Lee even mounted him at one point. Good luck doing that against Khabib.

I honestly think Tony will make the mistake of thinking he can fight Khabib from his back.. And this will cost him badly. Tony is good, but gets rocked in almost every fight. Khabib will dominate him.fairly easily.

With my Khabib point I am just repeating info I got from the trainer post fight. Whether its true or not IDK he did drop Conor so I do buy him not worrying about Conors striking.

As far as Tony ...he is a BEAST on the ground, or I should say the mat. Which is a difference, Khabib makes sure its not on the mat when taking down a guy he makes sure its against the fence where he can trap you eliminate whichever limb you have by either trapping it or grabbing hold of the wrist, while he has you pressed against the cage he raps the legs ith his and has 2 free arms/hands to strike with while the opponent in this case Tony will need to use to post up and try and escape or fall to his back and defend with that one free limb/hand.

Ferg definitely CAN submit anybody but as long as Khabib has you against the cage the chance of a submission off his back is limited and unlikely to happen.

In my opinion If Ferg pulled guard in the center of the octagon forcing Khabib to grapple in the center of the octagon he would have far better chances at doing damage off his back or submitting Khabib.

Yeah I'm saying I just don't buy that trainer's explanation. Zero risk on the mat in that fight, zero reason not to take it right back there if you have the energy to do it. This wasn't a fight for Khabib to "develop his striking", it was the biggest fight of his career.

I agree about what Khabib looks to do. But often his opponents back up and that's what allows him to secure the TD near the cage. Tony pushes forward. So he will likely get taken down, but good chance it is actually closer to the center of the cage as Khabib level changes off Tony's aggression. Not a guarantee but way more likely than vs Khabib's other opponents.

I honestly think Tony will make the mistake of thinking he can fight Khabib from his back.. And this will cost him badly. Tony is good, but gets rocked in almost every fight. Khabib will dominate him.fairly easily.

Aside from Pettis and Lando, which other fights of Tony's ELEVEN fight win streak has he been "rocked"? None.

Cardio won't matter as much if you're not the one in the position to dictate the pace. Khabib's skillset allows him to control the pace more so than tony's skillset does, so I don't think cardio will be the deciding factor in this fight.

I favor khabib in this fight because of his control, but I'll tell you what worries me most about tony: it's not his cardio and it's not his bjj— it's his elbows and his overall ability to cut people up. I can imagine a scenario with a controversial doctor stoppage in favor of tony.

Just now I was trying to recall/confirm if anyone has made Khabib bleed in a fight, and then I remembered your post. I can't remember ever seeing him with a drop of blood (or any visible marks except the shiner he had right before 229)... am I forgetting?
shrugs Either way it's hard to imagine him getting past Tony damage free.

Back