Khabib vs. Ferguson = GSP vs. Condit?

Was Condit ever really considered some kind of BJJ wizard?

he was dangerous off his back like few mma fighters are and he worked with Caio Terra to prepare for GSP.

Cerrone level BJJ.

Tony Ferguson isn’t a Maia level phenom himself though sonIndont know what point you’re trying to make

He can do the thing he always does.
Takedown, tie up and slowly grind ppl into hamburger meat.
Khabib UD IMO.

I fully expect Khabib to win round 1 and round 2 with takedowns and control.

But I do think Tony will make Khabib work harder than he ever has to control someone on the ground and might gas.

Khabib actually took round 3 off vs Conor to recover but Tony unlike Conor should still have his energy and make Khabib truly pay starting in that 3rd round.

Either way I am hoping for a very fun competitive fight.

Let's see what happens.

Ferguson is better all around than Condit IMO
Ferg has more tools from all ranges and is more tricky, plus his jab is arguably the best jab in the division. He also has good takedown defence in center cage.
Khabib isn't as explosive as GSP nor as slick with his striking but he has more KO power. His double legs and explosive takedowns aren't as effective but he has much better control and pressure from top.

Expect more sprawls from Ferg and Khabib isn't outstriking Ferg like GSP did to Condit. I expect this fight to be super close everywhere

I'm rewatching it again right now and he's landing some real nice punches and elbows at the end of that round. He really starts swinging once he realizes he has 10 seconds to work and that's when tony is able to scramble. If he get's in that position with a full minute to work, he might have ended Tony right there.

Lee might be more explosive, but that works in his opponents favor. If you can survive the storm, there's a great chance he's going to slow down. Khabib just seems to always be there, working away. I still hope I'm wrong and Tony can do what the others couldn't but I'm not getting too excited.

I honestly have no clue how you watched that and came away with seeing it that way.

I've seen Lee/ Ferguson probably 10 times. Slowed down Rd 1. Lee lands basically nothing flush from mount other than to Tony's chest and arms. One decent shot that glaces off his cheek I guess. But does no actual damage and Tony even regains guard prior to the round ending. There was absolutely no chance that fight was ever even in the stratosphere of Lee ending it. Whether he had a full minute or a full damn round.

Lee gets up tired, Tony looks like it's just a lazy day and he's getting off the couch to grab a snack.

To each their own I guess.

Possible, but I'm hoping for something more competitive like DC vs Jones 1.

There are always caveats to comparisons like this, but I think there is some relevance to it, and I think the result is the same, but with less time spent standing.

Ferguson is so much more physically powerful than condit though, and he’s also considerably bigger than nurmawhatever. I get wanting to make this comparison but there is no comparison. Condit, while one of the most entertaining fighters ever, and probably the GOAT chin, wasn’t nearly as dominant as Ferguson, who you could make a case for being the all time GOAT. You couldn’t do that with Condit. I dunno, Ferguson is just so much bigger & stronger & skilled.

I fully expect Khabib to win round 1 and round 2 with takedowns and control.

But I do think Tony will make Khabib work harder than he ever has to control someone on the ground and might gas.

Khabib actually took round 3 off vs Conor to recover but Tony unlike Conor should still have his energy and make Khabib truly pay starting in that 3rd round.

Either way I am hoping for a very fun competitive fight.

Let's see what happens.
Excited to see it for sure.
Tony is Khabib's toughest rival.

Condit and Tony are very similar fighters. Great striking with great submissions and elbows off their backs. They both have amazing cardio as well. You could say that Tony has better wrestling thAhat Condit, but he still gets taken down a lot in his fights. Also Khabib is a better wrestler than GSP. They both accept being off their backs, though.

The fight could very well turn out to look like GSP vs Condit. A bloody fight where both men get some strong offense in, but ultimately the wrestling pedigree and control wins the fight for the victor.

Thoughts?
Ahh hello there my doppelganger.

Look at what really happens in the 1st round though.

Tony let's Lee mount him by completely disrespecting his ground game, then Lee does his best to GNP Tony from mount but does 0 significant damage. Tony just blocks and rolls with all those punches on the ground, and then regains guard.

Not to mention that Lee is a lot more explosive and damaging wit his GNP than Khabib.
Since Lee is so much better than Khabib according to you Lee must be champion I guess. Haha

Good times when that fight happened. Scary as hell for a spell there. But, two of the best at the time going at it.

Interesting how you bring parallels with this fight.

If I was to draw those same kind of parallels, I’m going with Khabib.

he was dangerous off his back like few mma fighters are and he worked with Caio Terra to prepare for GSP.

Cerrone level BJJ.

Tony Ferguson isn’t a Maia level phenom himself though sonIndont know what point you’re trying to make

That's my worry for Tony here, his BJJ maybe stands out in an era were hardly anyone can fight from their back but I don't think he's a Maia, Werdum, Jacare, Nog, Aoki, etc level fighter, I suspect Khabib won't have much problem controlling him.

I see his potential paths to victory as either being cardio latter in the fight or landing some low percentage strike standing were Khabib is hittable.

155 Tony beats 170 prime Condit in 2 rounds.
Also Habib is all about smashing, GSP is about control and points.

I honestly have no clue how you watched that and came away with seeing it that way.

I've seen Lee/ Ferguson probably 10 times. Slowed down Rd 1. Lee lands basically nothing flush from mount other than to Tony's chest and arms. One decent shot that glaces off his cheek I guess. But does no actual damage and Tony even regains guard prior to the round ending. There was absolutely no chance that fight was ever even in the stratosphere of Lee ending it. Whether he had a full minute or a full damn round.

Lee gets up tired, Tony looks like it's just a lazy day and he's getting off the couch to grab a snack.

To each their own I guess.
Are you watching the same round?
With 30 seconds to 26 seconds left in the round Lee lands four punches in row that land flush on Tonys chin.
With 24 seconds left Lee lands two flush elbows, throws 4 more punches, 3 land and then he lands another great elbow.
Lands a couple more punches and elbows while tony is covering his face. That's when Lee gets up higher on Tonys chest swinging wildly and Fergson manages to scramble.

You claim "lee gets up tired" when he was still throwing after the bell and Herb Dean had to grab him and pull him away.

What the fuck did you watch?

Go back and watch that with sound on and listen to these strikes land. The first gif starts with 26 seconds left in the fight. Lee gets mount and lands 3-4 punches around 31-30 seconds left, around 28 seconds left is when Ferguson tried to roll, and thats where the gif starts.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

But remember Lee mounted him in the center of the canvas. Khabib always wrestles by pressuring his opponents to the fence and the las time he tried takedowns in the open he almost lost the fight (Tibau). Whoever wins depends on who can pressure whom. If Khabib can get Tony to the fence, he wins. If he can't he loses.
Totally wrong about Tibau part.
Big most of takedown attempta happened at/near fence.And Khabib does get takedowns in the open like with Healy or Conor(1st takedown).

Are you watching the same round?
With 30 seconds to 26 seconds left in the round Lee lands four punches in row that land flush on Tonys chin.
With 24 seconds left Lee lands two flush elbows, throws 4 more punches, 3 land and then he lands another great elbow.
Lands a couple more punches and elbows while tony is covering his face. That's when Lee gets up higher on Tonys chest swinging wildly and Fergson manages to scramble.

You claim "lee gets up tired" when he was still throwing after the bell and Herb Dean had to grab him and pull him away.

What the fuck did you watch?

Go back and watch that with sound on and listen to these strikes land. The first gif starts with 26 seconds left in the fight. Lee gets mount and lands 3-4 punches around 31-30 seconds left, around 28 seconds left is when Ferguson tried to roll, and thats where the gif starts.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Where are you seeing punches land flush on Tony here? Lee is throwing a ton and not landing shit that's flush and hurts Tony. I trained, fought, cornered guys, and have followed the sport for 20+ years. I know what I'm watching. Lee isn't doing any damage at all there. If you want to see gnp that actually lands and does damage watch Khabib vs Barboza or GSP vs Penn 2. Lee did no damage and landed almost nothing flush. Your gifs even show that!

I worded it wrong saying he "got up" tired. I should have said he was tired walking back to his corner. What you DO see though is that (as I said) Tony has cleared Lee's hips prior to the round ending and is no longer mounted.

Watching the Kevin Lee - Tony fight yesterday, I started to worry. If Kevin could have the success he was having on the ground in the first...what can Khabib do?
Lee had staph infection too

I'm just hoping to see a little blood coming out of Khabib's face during the mauling

Wonder where does Condit stand regarding JacksonWink debacle

Back