Khabib vs Conor in Russia?!

It means the end of the UFC after MMA is outlawed worldwide when Conor McGregor becomes the first man to die in the Octagon.

But you're all okay with foreign champions defending their titles in America 90% of the time?

Aldo defended in Brazil. So did Werdum. Good chance Bisping gets England. I'm okay with defending wherever. But for Conor's first defense in Russia it's stupid.

It's where the PPV market is.

I'd prefer it to be more international.
The PPVs will get sold regardless where it is, just cause Conor's the headliner. And this almost guarantees the Russian market has a huge opening.

Aldo defended in Brazil. So did Werdum. Good chance Bisping gets England. I'm okay with defending wherever. But for Conor's first defense in Russia it's stupid.
But would you have a problem with Conor defending against Ferguson in Las Vegas or somewhere in California?

Jose Aldo, throughout his long reign, fought twice in Brazil. The rest of the time, he fought mainly American fighters in America. Same with any other Brazilian champion. The only foreign champ that fought in his country as much as in America was GSP. The point is, those fighters didn't complain and no one complained for them. Conor should get the same treatment and defend where he's needed.

The PPVs will get sold regardless where it is, just cause Conor's the headliner. And this almost guarantees the Russian market has a huge opening.

But would you have a problem with Conor defending against Ferguson in Las Vegas or somewhere in California?

Jose Aldo, throughout his long reign, fought twice in Brazil. The rest of the time, he fought mainly American fighters in America. Same with any other Brazilian champion. The only foreign champ that fought in his country as much as in America was GSP. The point is, those fighters didn't complain and no one complained for them. Conor should get the same treatment and defend where he's needed.

I think you're being a bit disingenuous there, Canada and Brazil are in more or less the same time zone as the US, the market they're selling PPVs to. The only PPV they've done outside of the US in recent memory is Bisping's fight which was on at 6am local time. They could do that in the UK because the people there stay up late on Saturday nights and the UFC is somewhat of a product there. Not the same in Russia.

In Russia it would be 9am local time, the Russians won't extend their night out to that time, and they won't get up at 4am specifally to go attend a UFC event. And the UFC won't put really big fights on non-PPV cards because they make all their money from PPV.

With Fedor pushing for Khabib/Conor to happen, he will surely be in attendance as with Vladamir Putin as well.

Fedor also has connections with Trump, who is good friends with Dana. He may attend.

This is Rocky 4 scenario... Conor travels to Russia to fight the undefeated Russian from the mountains who kills everyone and fights bears.

he clearly hints it:

dGoLnoU.png

The thing is Conor wouldn't care where they fight. And you forget Conor gets special treatment. My point is why should Khabib get home field advantage?

I agree 100%, this is the single biggest event the UFC can put together right now. The hype would be cosmic.

Putin was right, Americans have a massive hard on for Russia at the moment.

Is it because Russia just won the war that America ran away from?

Why would anyone ever pay to watch two grown men roll around in panties? I signed up here for the Boxing and War Room forums

It's not about where but about when, the PPV is not gonna sell well if it's on in the morning in North America.
It won't change in the US. They'll do what they, and every American based sport org(NBA, NFL, etc.), does when they go over seas and put the event on really late/early in the country they're in to make sure it is on in prime time in US. No different then when they start the UK events at 3am in England.

The thing is Conor wouldn't care where they fight. And you forget Conor gets special treatment. My point is why should Khabib get home field advantage?
Because the UFC is going to be putting on their first event in Russia and wants to make it big, like they do everytime they go somewhere new. Khabib is their only notable Russian fighter and Conor is the biggest draw in the sport.

I don't care where the fight happens, as long as it happens. I just think it's dumb that for 20+years, champions have been fighting on their opponent's "home turf" without a peep and now all of a sudden people are complaining and making ridiculous excuses about how a champion shouldn't defend away from home because it's "unfair" to a fighter they like.

I personally said nothing of the sort. Re read my post, I stand by that
So, when RDA defended against Alvarez in the US, you were on here campaigning for them to move the fight to Brazil or outside the US?

It won't change in the US. They'll do what they, and every American based sport org(NBA, NFL, etc.), does when they go over seas and put the event on really late/early in the country they're in to make sure it is on in prime time in US. No different then when they start the UK events at 3am in England.

Because the UFC is going to be putting on their first event in Russia and wants to make it big, like they do everytime they go somewhere new. Khabib is their only notable Russian fighter and Conor is the biggest draw in the sport.

I don't care where the fight happens, as long as it happens. I just think it's dumb that for 20+years, champions have been fighting on their opponent's "home turf" without a peep and now all of a sudden people are complaining and making ridiculous excuses about how a champion shouldn't defend away from home because it's "unfair" to a fighter they like.

Who is complaining? I've seen more people wanting Conor to go fight Khabib in Russia as opposed to Khabib fighting Conor in Ireland.
Conor has balls, he'll probly say some shit like "I have more fans in Russia then Khabib" and gladly fight over there.
Regardless I don't think Khabib deserves a title shot in Russia. A title defense if he wins, of course you deserve it.

Who is complaining? I've seen more people wanting Conor to go fight Khabib in Russia as opposed to Khabib fighting Conor in Ireland.
Conor has balls, he'll probly say some shit like "I have more fans in Russia then Khabib" and gladly fight over there.
Regardless I don't think Khabib deserves a title shot in Russia. A title defense if he wins, of course you deserve it.
You, and the four others I'm talking to, are all arguing, lobbying, contesting, or whatever you want to call it(complaining), against it happening in Russia because Conor is the champion and shouldn't have to defend "away". When that has never, EVER been a point of contention with any other fighters.

Some(I don't think you), are even making ridiculous arguements about different time zones, event scheduling, and fear of the Russian crowd hurting Conor after he wins as excuses against it happening. Which have absolutely no justification in reality.

This has nothing to do with what Khabib want(he just wants the belt) or what he deserves. It is about what the UFC needs. They are going to have an event in Russia. Khabib(as their only Russian name) has to be on that card and if Conor is his only logical opponent, within the timeframe needed, then that's what should happen. And again, if this was anyone other than Conor, we would not even be having this conversation.

But you're all okay with foreign champions defending their titles in America 90% of the time?

fighting in the united states is different...much more neutral, unless they are fighting in the fighters home state.

He'll fight in Russia but not with out a significant pay raise...

fighting in the united states is different...much more neutral, unless they are fighting in the fighters home state.
So, if they fight in Moscow, which is nearly 2000 miles away from Khabib's home town/training town(which is as far as Las Vegas is from anywhere in the continental US except the east coast), will that be OK?

Back