1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Khabib vs bendo

Discussion in 'Fantasy Matchup Discussion' started by SideKickPro24, Oct 14, 2021.

1. SideKickPro24 Blue Belt

May not be the most popular opinion on this forum. But I always though khabib got lucky in his era to fight against so many non wrestler/grapplers. Wins against Conor, Dustin, Johnson, barbosa, and to an extent gatche because he never uses his wrestling.

Those are all great stylistic matchups. But how would he fair against the old guard like Benson, Edgar, penn, guida, sanchez, etc. back in the day ufc seemed way more wrestler heavy.

I always though a prime bendo would give khabib hell. What y’all think?

mmathurbator, Perry Willits and G10 like this.
  2. kingmob6 Brown Belt

3. Reign009 Not sure if serious.

Gatche? Lol.

But yeah, Bendo vs Khabib would have been interesting.

Perry Willits and G10 like this.
  4. TheMessiah Black Belt

Benson got submitted by Pettis who sucked against wrestlers lol

Tevfik1907 likes this.
  5. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

It would have been a tough fight. 95% of the time when people ask me “what if so and so fought khabib”, my answer is “you’d be shocked how easy khabib would make it look”.

However when it comes to BJJ there’s such severe consequences for making a mistake. I’d give bendo a chance, however, I also believe that by the end of his career khabib developed a lot more than people realize. I think if he had kept going we’d see him become a knockout threat like usman..he was starting to get the timing on the feet, and he was fighting guys like Dustin and Justin who ALWAYS inflict damage on the feet.

It’s very similar to the tony fight it just wasn’t soured the way the tony fight was when he fought Justin

6. Harlekin Black Belt

Sanchez is crap
    Guida not top level
    Frankie too small
    Penn another era

Bendo would give him a fight

RightToBareKnuckles likes this.
  7. G10 Green Belt

If Khabib fought these guys in their prime, here are my pics:

vs Bendo: would be competitive, but I slightly favor Khabib. I can't picture Bendo subbing him, and in a scramble heavy fight with some striking in between, I think Khabib pulls through.

vs Edgar: definitely Khabib. Edgar is great, but he's fighting at 135 for a reason. Khabib would be way too big and strong, but I think prime Edgar would fight to decision.

vs Guida: interesting fight, but Khabib wins by sub. Even at his best, Guida could be subbed, and Khabib would've been the best grappler Guida ever fought.

vs Sanchez: Sanchez by UD. People forget how good prime Sanchez was. In many ways, Khabib is reminiscent of a prime Diego. He wouldn't be subbed, he wouldn't be KOed, and his wrestling, grappling, and cardio would keep him in the fight for all five rounds.

Edit: Forgot to include Penn. I think Khabib destroys Penn. As talented as he used to be, Penn was ALWAYS a front runner, and he slowly crumbled when faced with adversity. There is no way that Khabib wouldn't make Penn doubt himself in a five round fight. Unless Penn hurts him really bad early in the fight, Khabib wins 99/100 times.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  8. mattemate Brown Belt

I think he would just be too physical for Bendo, and beat him up standing as well.

G10 likes this.
  9. Skarsgard Brown Belt Platinum Member

Bendo would make it far closer than it had reason to be and end it in a controversial decision one way or another.

G10 and RightToBareKnuckles like this.
  10. RightToBareKnuckles Purple Belt

Khabib vs prime Penn would've been very cool. one more thing to do once we invent a time machine!

mattemate and G10 like this.
  11. Arrrrgh Black Belt

What about Bendo stylistically do you think would be a problem Khabib hasn't seen before?

Maybe he gets a toothpick to the eye but I bet he still out grapples bendo blind and wins by sub.

12. Coolkid666 Black Belt

Khabib IS the wrestler/grappler, tf? Its his opponents job to get to that level

13. Grappling Magic SAKU BELT

Once by armbar and once by UD.

url]

14. mmathurbator Green Belt

people will give you shit, because they dont know shit, but you're right. he's played it very safe and been given really good style matchups. just look at the tibau fight. tibau is not THAT good of a wrestler, never was, and that fight was basically a draw. I even think prime BJ Penn beats Khabib, despite being at a wrestling disadvantage.

15. daltonames Black Belt

I dunno, Benson is largely forgotten and people don't remember how tough an out he was, but I don't think his skillset would be particularly effective against Khabib, as I think Khabib would control the pace and put it on Benson.
    Personally I think Prime BJ gives Khabib the toughest fight out of all those you listed. Iron chin, hit super hard for LW, very slick and tricky on the ground. Still favor Khabib tho.

16. PTSDtreatment Blue Belt

I think one of the times Khabib took down Bendo and started smeshing him, Bendo would choke on his toothpick and it would be all over.