Khabib v Conor is the Fedor v Crocop of this era

RaggedLargeHairstreak-max-1mb.gif

The only similarity is that in both those fights, the Russian comes out on top

I was actually thinking something similar the other day. There are definite stylistic similarities. Conor's left hand & Mirko's left foot; Khabib & Fedor's control and dominance in grappling exchanges; and even in terms of the 2 biggest European MMA names colliding.

Its a different fight though. Khabib is not as well rounded as Fedor, who was able to use his boxing effectively to get close to secure takedowns. Khabib's striking is pretty average, so the question is can he grab Conor before something lands. It worked against Barboza, but Conor's footwork is far more fluid and elusive than Barboza's heavy muay thai style.

I was actually thinking something similar the other day. There are definite stylistic similarities. Conor's left hand & Mirko's left foot; Khabib & Fedor's control and dominance in grappling exchanges; and even in terms of the 2 biggest European MMA names colliding.

Its a different fight though. Khabib is not as well rounded as Fedor, who was able to use his boxing effectively to get close to secure takedowns. Khabib's striking is pretty average, so the question is can he grab Conor before something lands. It worked against Barboza, but Conor's footwork is far more fluid and elusive than Barboza's heavy muay thai style.

The stylistic similarities are definitely fewer, however, in terms of impact and magnitude I definitely think it's on par. I can't think of a bigger fight with such skilled people.

Lol Fedor was a good striker.
i literally said that in the post...thanks for reading. you belong to the brazilian school system? (chael sonnen voice)

(if you're actually brazilian lmao I didn't mean it like that)

Does anyone sort of see the similarities between Khabib vs Conor and Fedor vs Cro Cop?

I know it's a little of a stretch, but there are some interesting commonalities. First, both match-ups had both fighters in their absolute prime. Second, these fights will easily be the biggest in their respective promotions history.

Most interesting, this fight has a similar matchup. Although Fedor was the more well rounded striker, both him and Khabib employ Sambo like a boss and Fedor, like Khabib now, was on an undefeated streak. (interesting enough, they both have controversial "wins" over Brazilians. Khabib is now going to fight a crafty southpaw striker the same way Fedor did. Of course Conor is more hands based, and Cro Cop was more kick based, but they were both lefties, one of the reasons why their styles work so amazingly.

Lastly, the Russian is the champion, and the European striker is making an attempt at his title. I was too young to experience Fedor vs Cro Cop, so it's cool to have my generation's bizarro, bastardized version of this fight. What are your thoughts?

To me fedor vs crocop remains the top of the top.
They were HW, very scary, seasonned, charismatic and really the 2 best.
They were also very different.
Khabib and conor are great but not on the same level.
They are smaller, there are great but Lee, Tony, and in a way ortega and max are not far away from those guys, they are 2 kids when fedor and crocop clearly appeared as adults (and killers) etc...
Plus at the time you did not have twitter and fights every week.
That made the first fight way more special in my opinion

The UFC does the same thing.

Conor cant hold MIrko's jock strap when it comes to striking credentials. And Conor would struggle to out wrestle Ronda Rousey(still would) his wrestling and overall strength is so poor.

Crocop vs Fedor was a 50/50 fight in the eyes of most MMA fans at the time. Many fans including myself felt Fedor intentionally postponed the fight as long as he could so he could train specifically for Mirko and even sacrificed his brother and Magomedov in the ring with him to gain insight into his weaknesses.

I was 27 when Fedor vs Mirko happened and had been watching Pride for over 8 years. Fedor, Crocop, Saku, and Silva were superstars to Pride fans. Nobody really care about Khabib. Everyone will say he is an elite fighter but he dioesn't sell tickets. Conor sells tickets so its a one sided show. Even though Khabib is going to destroy Conor, he doesnt have the star quality the other fighters have on this list.

Also, Conor hasn't murked 2 of Khabib's training partners including his brother, the only hype is the fake dolly gate hype around coked out Conor getting away breaking the law.

Worldwide is this fight going to be 10x bigger than Crocop/Fedor? Absolutely but thats due to MMA being 100x more popular than it was in 2005 mixed with Conor's star power which will more than likely fade fast after Khabib grabs ahold of him.
well right here is a great example of the pride delusion that is in you... you bought into the rousey hype

Back