Khabib v Conor is the Fedor v Crocop of this era

Not really. I’m stoked for this fight, don’t get me wrong...but they both need to show up and make weight first. I won’t be fully on excited until weigh ins are done and the event has started.

boys, i was mainly talkin about the hype

but fedor is a sampo fighter and crocop is a southpaw striker

Totally different fight. Outside Japan, Fedor vs Cro Cop was only known to hardcores.

The UFC hype machine will try to hype this to the casual US audience. And it will sell because it's a Conor fight. How it compares to other Conor fights is TBD. But let's be real, great as Khabib is, he is not a star yet. He might be after this, he has an interesting personality and being undefeated and scoring a win over Conor would definitely generate some buzz.

But both of these fights pale in comparison to the cultural phenomenon that Ali vs Frazer fights were. MMA has a long way to go before it reaches that level of hype. A rival for Conor might push it in that direction but Khabib hasn't arrived yet.

who agrees wit me? this fight got me so hype
gonna see my boy macG come in n his hands gonna be better than ever since he did a boxing camp
but khabib got that fedor auorora

lol you clearly weren't a fan back when fedor/CC happened

if you were you'd know how silly that sounds

It's more like Cro Cop vs. Big Nog, if you're looking for a HW fight from the Pride era to compare it to.

Fedor also beat CroCop at his own game (standup), something we wont see from Khabib.
Khabib outstruck lw's best striker in Barboza- on the feet. Not because he had superior standup skills but because he dominated him so heavily on the ground that it effected his whole gameplan and offense. The threat of a khabib takedown has opponents so shook that they become novice strikers out of fear.

boys, i was mainly talkin about the hype

but fedor is a sampo fighter and crocop is a southpaw striker

To be fair though Fedor/Crocop was more a fight for the hardcore fans, it wasn't the biggest fight in Pride interest wise by a long shot, that would probably be Yoshida vs Ogawa or maybe Saku vs Royce.

Fedor also beat CroCop at his own game (standup), something we wont see from Khabib.
its way harder to beat conor on feet than cro cop.. so thats why we wont see that from khabib

I'm wondering what percentage of people answering this watched Fedor vs CroCop in 2005.
More than you probabaly realize ... look for Sherdoggers with a start date more than 6 years ago and you'll have a close estimate.

Khabib outstruck lw's best striker in Barboza- on the feet. Not because he had superior standup skills but because he dominated him so heavily on the ground that it effected his whole gameplan and offense. The threat of a khabib takedown has opponents so shook that they become novice strikers out of fear.
You can make the argument that Conor is a better striker

who agrees wit me? this fight got me so hype
gonna see my boy macG come in n his hands gonna be better than ever since he did a boxing camp
but khabib got that fedor auorora

take my money dana u sonuva b
It is one of the fights thats had me the most pumped for sure.

More than you probabaly realize ... look for Sherdoggers with a start date more than 6 years ago and you'll have a close estimate.

Sometimes its tough to tell after the McGregor/Ronda mma boom of 2015-2016.

Fedor won the fight because half the fight he was on top of cro cop. He didn’t just choose to stand all fight. He wore him down in the first by spending over 5 minutes on top of cro cop. But yes fedor held his own with cro cop standing (arguably getting the better), which is unlikely for khabib.
I agree. Much Like Cain vs Dos Santos. Pure striking Dos Santos may be the better fighter but it didnt end that way because of the ground aspect.

He definitely has better hands but Edson would starch him in a kickboxing match.
Are we positive? What about MMA though?

More doesn't always mean better, that's my motto lol

Back