Khabib v Askren. Who takes it?

mma_genius

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Interesting matchup. Who wins and how?
Would it end up being a boring striking match?

Askren is so overrated. Remember how will brooks did in ufc? or lombard?

Khabib would smash Askren. Askren wasn't even a world class wrestler, he made one olympic team and did terrible.

One's a Lightweight that's never fought an elite wrestler and the other is a Welterweight with zero Top 5 opponents. There is literally no way of knowing how this fight would go. Probably Askren by decision.

I’d say Askren. I think it’d go the same as a Khabib v GSP fight, Askren would have strong enough wrestling to nullify Khabib’s, which leaves it mainly a striking contest. And who’s got the better standup? Probably Askren. It’s one of those styles make fights situations. I could see Askren being to Khabib what Diaz is to Conor.

This fight will go on with all sherdoggers falling to sleep midway through the second round of that fight .

khabib by actually being man enough to be in the ufc

Khabib would smash Askren. Askren wasn't even a world class wrestler, he made one olympic team and did terrible.
Isn't making the Olympic team in the first place an obvious sign of being world class, considering how many millions of people he's up against lol

I’d say Askren. I think it’d go the same as a Khabib v GSP fight, Askren would have strong enough wrestling to nullify Khabib’s, which leaves it mainly a striking contest. And who’s got the better standup? Probably Askren. It’s one of those matchups make fights situations. I could see Askren being to Khabib what Diaz is to Conor.
Askren definitely does not have the better striking. Khabib has outstruck every opponent, was toying with Al just on the feet, beat MJ and RDA just so tricking, while Askren needs the TD to work. Khabib has been striking all his life and people just don't seem to understand that simply because it's Sambo, not flashy Muay Thai or TKD, does not mean he sucks.

Askren definitely does not have the better striking. Khabib has outstruck every opponent, was toying with Al just on the feet, beat MJ and RDA just so tricking, while Askren needs the TD to work. Khabib has been striking all his life and people just don't seem to understand that simply because it's Sambo, not flashy Muay Thai or TKD, does not mean he sucks.
I was meaning specifically standup. All those fighters you mentioned, especially Al, performed poorly standing up because they were wary of the TD. If Askren can stop the TD (I think he could) that leaves it a standup fight. And while neither are particularly marvelous at standup I’d give the edge to Askren.

Honestly probably Askren

He gets a lot of shit for his level of competition, but he's clearly an elite fighter.
Just ask yourself, do you think Askren is better than Colby? Because Colby is a top 3 WW right now.

Alot is made of Khabib's past competition but he's had tougher matches than Askren, even if Askren likely beats the guys Khabib has beat.

Askren wasn't even a world class wrestler, he made one olympic team and did terrible.

2910950130_ac99c40a63.jpg

Askren nullifies Khabib's greatest strength. If Khabib can avoid getting dumped on his head then it could very well end up a hilarious striking match-up.

I was meaning specifically standup. All those fighters you mentioned, especially Al, performed poorly standing up because they were wary of the TD. If Askren can stop the TD (I think he could) that leaves it a standup fight. And while neither are particularly marvelous at standup I’d give the edge to Askren.
That's true, the fear of TD and accumulated wear from the grind helped turn the tides, but Khabib has still been striking since a kid and is not a total fish out of water.

You'll see even in this fight, where he loses as a kid, he can still throw some heat. He's all about those looping Sambo hooks. Askren truly just doesn't care about striking, as he is confident his wrestling will work. That Santos fight really exposed that he has not worked in his striking at all.

Striking his whole life but still walks forward with his chin held straight and refuses to move his head..............

Real fans know Askren wins every time due to outranking Khabib in the hardcore fans obscure-ometer ©

Striking his whole life but still walks forward with his chin held straight and refuses to move his head..............
He's got issues, no doubt, but the fact remains he is a Sambo striker, just like Fedor and a better striker than Ben Askren. Sambo is essentially just grappling and striking with head gear, and he is as nearly decorated as nearly any Sambo to MMA guy ever. Lots of boxers over time have even held their head up, and they made it work for them. If you see recently, he has really worked on hand placement and defense. He also has a 'herky jerky' (shout out to Goldie and Jardine) style, where it seems like he is erratic but everything has its purpose.

No he didn't do terrible. He pinned his first opponent and then lost his next match.

And that's freestyle. Frerstyle wrestlers have never done as well as American Folkstylists, and Askren is arguably the best folkstyle wrestler ever.

Tibau took Khabib down several times. Askren would maul him.

Oh and LMAO @ "only made ONE olympic team." Jeez, what a scrub.

How many did Khabib make?

Last edited:
Back