Khabib or Aldo - Who do you rank higher on the GOAT list?

Who do you rank higher on the GOAT list?

• Total voters
Khabib cuz LW was the stronger div during their respective time and throughout. But Aldo was on top for way longer to offset that. Close. Khabib for the strength of the LW class, both nearing the top 5.

I fundamentally disagree. A dominant win is better than a competitive win full stop. Quality Wins matter and losses should never be ignored. You either look at everything or you look at nothing.

That's how I've always looked at it. Khabib's was better fighter imo but lacked the longevity, however his 13 fighters was still impressive. Aldo's latter years at 145 hurt him a good bit. Losing wasn't a huge deal because of who he was fighting deal but the way he was losing was rough.

Yeah. You missunderstood. I didn't ignore khabib's dominance or Aldo's losses. I just think if you're going to give khabib extra points for his dominance as a way bridge the gap caused by the lack of depth in his resume, then you also need to give some lenience to Aldo's losses due to the sheer amount of times he's fought. Just the fact that he's fought more than khabib increased his likeliness of losing; and then when you consider that he hasn't only fought more than khabib, but he faced more elite competition over a longer period of time than khabib had as well, which also increased the likeliness of losing.

So yes, I give khabib extra points for his dominance, but I also don't judge Aldo's losses too harshly.

Like I said, i took all those things into consideration. Aldo still comes out on top in my book because the most important factor to me (not the only factor) is the amount of quality wins.

Last edited:
Khabib cuz LW was the stronger div during their respective time and throughout. But Aldo was on top for way longer to offset that. Close. Khabib for the strength of the LW class, both nearing the top 5.

Edgar was the LW champ in most people's eyes when Aldo beat him. Two of Khabib's best wins are against guys who made their name at FW. The current LW champ was a guy who couldn't make it to a title shot at FW.

You can argue that LW was a better division as a whole, but the quality of the very best fighters at FW, which is what Aldo was fighting for nearly a decade as the defending champion, was clearly similar to the quality of the best guys at LW.

Aldo was on a like 9x title fight win streak at the age Khabib retired at. I'm not even sure how this is up for debate.

Fight long enough and every fighter will eventually go on a decline. Oh and if you don't fight long enough, pardon us for not ranking you anywhere near the top
I don't agree. This isn't golf. There are consequences to staying in this too long. I think Khabib, GSP and Jones are smart to get out at the right time. GSP was even smarter in that he came back to fight a weak champion in another weight class. I give it to Khabib since he fought his whole career, never lost and never even got hurt or a scratch.

Not voting, because they are both GOAT in their respective weight classes.

Reactions: Gio
Edgar was the LW champ in most people's eyes when Aldo beat him. Two of Khabib's best wins are against guys who made their name at FW. The current LW champ was a guy who couldn't make it to a title shot at FW.

You can argue that LW has more good fighters, but the quality of the very best fighters at FW, which is what Aldo was fighting for nearly a decade as the defending champion, was clearly similar.

No one thought FW was a good div in 2010 (pre-UFC) or 2012. Everyone thought LW was one of the best divs. WW and LW. Early Jones era LHW contenders. Those were the topics of back then. LW's were moving down to FW when they lost, that was part of it.

I don't think Oliveira is a good example. He's clearly improved. Could be FW champ today as well, depending on how strong you rate Volk.

I like Aldo but the losses to Max and Conor affected his legacy

No one thought FW was a good div in 2010 (pre-UFC) or 2012. Everyone thought LW was one of the best divs. WW and LW. Early Jones era LHW contenders. Those were the topics of back then. LW's were moving down to FW when they lost, that was part of it.

I don't think Oliveira is a good example. He's clearly improved. Could be FW champ today as well, depending on how strong you rate Volk.

Florian was one fight removed from contesting for the LW belt when Aldo schooled him. Edgar was arguably the LW champ when Aldo beat him (and he did that twice). Then you have top FWs who also has top level success at LW.

Like I said, the top guys in both divisions were pretty neck Is neck in skills, and the top guys are pretty much all that matters in the context of this discussion because that's all Aldo was fighting.

this thread is all the evidence you need on how fickle most of y’all are.

100% this poll would favour Khabib if he hadn’t made those comments about ring girls and Aldo’s performance.

Florian was one fight removed from contesting for the LW belt when Aldo schooled him. Edgar was arguably the LW champ when Aldo beat him (and he did that twice). Then you have top FWs who also has top level success at LW.

Like I said, the top guys in both divisions were pretty neck Is neck in skills, and the top guys are pretty much all that matters in the context of this discussion because that's all Aldo was fighting.

I think who you beat to get a title shot matters as well. Florian and Edgar beat no one at FW. Mendes beat Lentz and Elkins. After already losing to Aldo by KO.

These are the topics of back then, like said. When a consensus is established it's useless to come back with revisionisms 10 years later.

I think who you beat to get a title shot matters as well. Florian and Edgar beat no one at FW. Mendes beat Lentz and Elkins. After already losing to Aldo by KO.

These are the topics of back then, like said. When a consensus is established it's useless to come back with revisionisms 10 years later.

We're arguing two different things man. I agree that LW was the better division. I just don't agree that it's relevant when comparing khabib and Aldo because their key wins are against the best of their divisions, and we've seen how the bests of these two divisions compare to each other it's been pretty even.

We're arguing two different things man. I agree that LW was the better division. I just don't agree that it's relevant when comparing khabib and Aldo because their key wins are against the best of their divisions, and we've seen how the bests of these two divisions compare to each other it's been pretty even.

I don't understand. How are their divisions not relevant to where they stood or stand today? I think it's the most important thing. Of course contenders vs depth is another thing. In the long run they're the same, but some divisions are top heavy with talent. For LW vs FW though FW didn't have that chance. It was a new division, which erases both. LW can have both, if you get what I mean.

I don't understand. How are their divisions not relevant to where they stood or stand today? I think it's the most important thing. Of course contenders vs depth is another thing. In the long run they're the same, but some divisions are top heavy with talent. For LW vs FW though FW didn't have that chance. It was a new division, which erases both. LW can have both, if you get what I mean.

I do get what you mean. I can't explain myself any better right now, though, so don't worry about it. I'm off to bed

I'd say Khabib is higher and rank him at #5 all-time.

khabib-nurmagomedov-vs-jose-aldo.png

Inspired by this thread.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/khabib-defended-his-belt-3-times-aldo-10.4204615/

Khabib for how he dominated. When he retired there was no one that was even a threat. He had more years being a champ if he stayed. I think he would have been champ until he was too old imo.

Last edited:

It's a fair point that FW wasn't as high profile until it was included in the UFC in 2011. But IMO the quality of top contenders didn't markedly increase afterwards and was already elite to begin with. Faber was the poster boy of WEC FW from 2006 and him and Brown in WEC were as legit as any UFC contender/champ at 145. And most of the guys Aldo defended against in the UFC were the same guys already in the WEC who came over with him: Hominick, Mendes, Zombie, Lamas. Edgar and Florian were UFC guys who came down from LW and we saw what Aldo did with them.

FWIW I think Aldo vs. Khabib on the GOAT list is debatable but I'd give the edge to Aldo.

WEC talent was legit af. Hell even their LW and WW champs became champs/top contenders in the UFC.

Remember this? WEC used to be free on basic cable and put on some of the best fights:

Last edited:
Aldo obviously. Not sure what all the Khabib threads lately are about. He became by default the LW GOAT because no one else was but his resume doesn't compare to what fighters have done in other divisions. He just didn't stick around long enough.

Back