Media Khabib on being called Coach of the Year "I dont like this, coach of the year is 100% Javier Mendez"

They go there for the histrocial roster and lineage of solid grapplers and presumably the location /weather. I'm not saying Mendez is a bad coach but to single out striking among their best fighters is faulty consider none of them are even close to being top tier at striking. They all utilize very basic striking in order to garner their grappling advantage. Any notable gym could do the same.

Now Whitman took a very AKA esque fighter in Usman and has worked with him to develop one of the best jabs in the organization along with enhanced, fight ending punching power.

Also, it's * A lot* not *alot*
ALOT

Anyway,I dont need to disparage Whitman to say that I think Javier is a great coach,which he is. They both are. We have seen Cain dominate JDS with mixing grappling and striking together. We saw DC able to stand with top guys and deal out heavy amounts of damage. Esp those clinch uppercuts. Also we should talk about striking defense,this is where Khabib especially shined. Now tell me how any gym woulda gave him that. Its not just the offensive but also defensive techniques and how to make it work with that hyper aggressive come forward style,and make it all work. To come straight at guys as much as Khabib did and not take that much damage is truly impressive. Sometimes grapplers doing too much striking can be a detriment. Remember K-1 maia? (although I feel like his striking wasnt bad at that time,it just needed to be mixed in more moderatley)

Good on Khabib feeling he doesn't deserve it. Always looking to improve.
Well from past interviews,Khabib has said he is not looking to be a coach forever. He considers what he is doing as "helping out" the guys he came up with,esp in Abdulmanap's absence they could use his expertise.

Or I'm simply discussing something on a mma website. Apologies if that triggers you.

I'm sure Conor also feels Kav deserves coach of the year recognition.
I'm an old, ornery fuck so yeah, getting triggered comes with the territory. ;-)
But I don't think I've heard even McGregor laud Kavanagh that much

ALOT

Anyway,I dont need to disparage Whitman to say that I think Javier is a great coach,which he is. They both are. We have seen Cain dominate JDS with mixing grappling and striking together. We saw DC able to stand with top guys and deal out heavy amounts of damage. Esp those clinch uppercuts. Also we should talk about striking defense,this is where Khabib especially shined. Now tell me how any gym woulda gave him that. Its not just the offensive but also defensive techniques and how to make it work with that hyper aggressive come forward style,and make it all work. To come straight at guys as much as Khabib did and not take that much damage is truly impressive. Sometimes grapplers doing too much striking can be a detriment. Remember K-1 maia? (although I feel like his striking wasnt bad at that time,it just needed to be mixed in more moderatley)

Yes, I will admit amazing wrestlers have a natural advantage in striking when they learn the basics because everyone is on edge due to fear of being taken down. Randy also out struck some decent strikers, I'm not giving Lindland an abundance of credit though

Again I'm not disparaging Javier. I just always viewed aka as a fighters lead gym.

I'm an old, ornery fuck so yeah, getting triggered comes with the territory. ;-)
But I don't think I've heard even McGregor laud Kavanagh that much

Turn up the hearing aids or throw on the bifocals, Gramps. CONNY hyped Kav like he was an off brand whiskey

Yes, I will admit amazing wrestlers have a natural advantage in striking when they learn the basics because everyone is on edge due to fear of being taken down. Randy also out struck some decent strikers, I'm not giving Lindland an abundance of credit though
Its MMA,got to use what is going to reap the most dividends. Doesnt mean every coach teaching Wrestlers what they need in the striking are overrated,haha. It has to work with with their approach. It seems like an advantage,but the "entries" are very important.

That has to be done right,or this happens

tumblr_p0qxb41O5f1r7vh24o1_540.gifv

Turn up the hearing aids or throw on the bifocals, Gramps. CONNY hyped Kav like he was an off brand whiskey
I feel like hey its not Kav's fault it happened this way. He struck gold. What's he really supposed to do? Quit? lol

He seems like a nice guy,who gets negative attention for having Conor as his star.

I think the fight Walker had under him was weird. Defensivley he did good things with Walker,but there was just not enough offense.

I feel like hey its not Kav's fault it happened this way. He struck gold. What's he really supposed to do? Quit? lol

He seems like a nice guy,who gets negative attention for having Conor as his star.

I think the fight Walker had under him was weird. Defensivley he did good things with Walker,but there was just not enough offense.

Kav and Zahabi are the most overrated coaches IMO. Both struck gold with an elite level fighter, but have repeatedly shit the bed with others. Walker looked very off when coached by each of them

Kav and Zahabi are the most overrated coaches IMO. Both struck gold with an elite level fighter, but have repeatedly shit the bed with others. Walker looked very off when coached by each of them
I like Zahabi as a person,and love to read his analysis online,but results are results...

Kav is to blame, he's nothing but a yes-man who has said Conor knows more about MMA thrn himself and the other coaches so Conor pretty much runs the camp and they follow suit...

Kav is to blame, he's nothing but a yes-man who has said Conor knows more about MMA thrn himself and the other coaches so Conor pretty much runs the camp and they follow suit...
Kav is to blame for what?

Its MMA,got to use what is going to reap the most dividends. Doesnt mean every coach teaching Wrestlers what they need in the striking are overrated,haha. It has to work with with their approach. It seems like an advantage,but the "entries" are very important.

That has to be done right,or this happens

tumblr_p0qxb41O5f1r7vh24o1_540.gifv

Fair but marlon is one of the best strikers in the org. I could post examples of Rockhold who is one of the better athletes in MMA getting finished while being under Javiers banner, but it's from a micro level it's unfair. I will say clinch heavy grapplers seemingly transition into effective strikers

Fair but marlon is one of the best strikers in the org. I could post examples of Rockhold who is one of the better athletes in MMA getting finished while being under Javiers banner, but it's from a micro level it's unfair. I will say clinch heavy grapplers seemingly transition into effective strikers
Couture vs Gonzaga was a masterclass of using dirty boxing to dominate a bigger stronger younger opponent.

It should be said Rockhold who trains in the same place as Khabib (or did) but is just so much more irresponsible defensivley. I could not say whose fault that is.

For the negative attention he gets himself.
He cannot change himself into a great coach,never claimed to be a great coach. He would be an idiot to lose Conor at this point just to placlate the fans who will soon forget him if that happens. The blame has to be on Conor,who simply isnt interested in pushing himself to be greater.

Javier the most overrated coach of the century lol, hasnt done shit, dude hit a lottery getting guys like DC (Olympian) and Khabib (world combat sambo champ) khabib dont even listen to mendez during fights, he listen more to Islam

<WhatIsThis>

He's just humble bragging s/ ;)

But yeah that's good on him for shouting out Mendez. Khabib is very consistent with praising his coaches and training partners at AKA, especially DC.
humble bragging is a great term.

Timestamped.

Basically Khabib is saying people are calling him coach of the year cause he has a name and is famous as a fighter. However he disagress with the media and fans and says he would need decades to even touch Javier as a coach. Javier Mendez is the one who coaches and should be awarded that title. Khabib is doing his job helping and cornering.

Khabib is Coach of the Year
Conor is Roach of the Year

Back