Khabib Nurmagomedov: I reckon that I can beat Anthony Pettis

I really like Khabib and think he's great but here's the problem: the Guida fight was long time ago and Pettis said he did some adjustments after that, Benson couldn't take him down.

Not only that, it was a 3 rounds fight, Pettis is too dangerous in a 5 rounds fights, you have to finish him if you want to win

Benson didn't really take him down the first time, there are many styles of wrestling especially when it's during an MMA match, Khabib is faster than Benson and his pressure wrestling style is more similar to Guida's that it is to Benson's. Pettis never really had trouble with wrestlers like Benson.

I really like Khabib and think he's great but here's the problem: the Guida fight was long time ago and Pettis said he did some adjustments after that, Benson couldn't take him down.

Well many don't take into consideration that right after the Guida fight (where he supposedly made the amazing adjustments) he fought Jeremy Stephens, and was taken down numerous times by him and arguably lost. After that, neither Lauzon nor Cerrone even tried to take him down. Then he fought Bendo again. If anyone watched their first encounter, they noticed Bendo had trouble taking Pettis down against the cage in that fight too. He couldn't get him down. But he eventually got him down in both fights.

So those who are banking on these amazing adjustments Pettis has made.... really think about it.

Khabid is an entirely different animal than anyone he's ever fought.

Well many don't take into consideration that right after the Guida fight (where he supposedly made the amazing adjustments) he fought Jeremy Stephens, and was taken down numerous times by him and arguably lost. After that, neither Lauzon nor Cerrone even tried to take him down. Then he fought Bendo again. If anyone watched their first encounter, they noticed Bendo had trouble taking Pettis down against the cage in that fight too. He couldn't get him down. But he eventually got him down in both fights.

So those who are banking on these amazing adjustments Pettis has made.... really think about it.

Khabid is an entirely different animal than anyone he's ever fought.

Of course adjustments aren't immediate, those wouldn't affect him in the following fight, but time has passed. Bendo got him down because Pettis slipped lol, and he was submitted, his ground game improved as well, Pettis definitively can submit Khabib.

I'm not saying it's going to be easy but I just think that you can't stall Pettis in a 5 rounds fight, all rounds start standing and I see him knocking Khabib out. Pettis landed some body kicks while Benson was going for takedowns that had him hurt, I don't know if Khabib could absorb that.

Also, if you bring the 'arguably lost fight' against Jeremy, I say look at Khabib vs Tibau

Of course adjustments aren't immediate, those wouldn't affect him in the following fight, but time has passed.

I certainly would expect them too at least a little. And being as fair as possible, I have yet to see any improvements in that area be put on display yet. Maybe they are there, but I can certainly say nobody has seen anything yet.

This isn't some indictment of Pettis. I'm simply pointing out that those who are suggesting he's made some major improvements in TDD, are basing it on nothing that actually exists. Not a great idea if trying to analyze a fight with him and Khabib.

Not only that, it was a 3 rounds fight, Pettis is too dangerous in a 5 rounds fights, you have to finish him if you want to win

...but he did take him down

even though i think khabib can probably take down pettis at will if he gets a hold of him, i wouldnt count out pettis' ground game. pettis' ground game is as good as anyones at LW imo. If khabib can continuously get a hold of pettis before getting KO'd and throw him down and not get submitted while on the ground for 5 rounds, then yes khabib has a great chance of winning. Thats a BIG if though.

even though i think khabib can probably take down pettis at will if he gets a hold of him, i wouldnt count out pettis' ground game. pettis' ground game is as good as anyones at LW imo. If khabib can continuously get a hold of pettis before getting KO'd and throw him down and not get submitted while on the ground for 5 rounds, then yes khabib has a great chance of winning. Thats a BIG if though.

Khabib can finish too, he's got 7 submissions and 7 TKO/KOs, it's not like were talking about someone like Fitch or Sonnen.

I reckon he could as well. Would be a fight I'd like to see.

did he really use the word recon? Just seems like an odd word for someone whom English is their second or third language to use.

You're saying this as if Khabib has cardio issues. It's weird, Khabib fights at a fast pace and has great cardio. He also has as many TKOs as he does submissions, Khabib is very well rounded.

I'm not saying he has cardio issues, but he does slow over 3 rounds(which is understandable for his pace). I'm just saying there are some doubts in my mind on how he'd perform in the championship rounds if he can't finish the fight by then.

As much as I'd love to forget the Guida fight, I can't. It is very plausible that Khabib could beat Pettis.

It's ridiculous how much fans have turned on Pettis for the "injury" (preposterous somebody would even put that term in quotes, as if Pettis got surgery and sat out a year because he was afraid of Josh friggin Thomson). After he tooled Bendo people were talking about how he's incredibly exciting, dynamic, and poised to be one of the greats. Then, 9 months go by without him fighting thru no fault of his own, he can't entertain people anymore like he wants to, and they turn on him like a bunch of spoiled babies. And also you have noobs starting to bring back up the Guida fight (after that was seemingly put to bed after Pettis won the championship), all because their first impression of Pettis came during his UFC debut and they still don't want to admit they were wrong about it.

Pettis has 4 ways to win against Khabib: 1. ko, 2. sub, 3. 5-round striking decision, 4. all-around MMA decision. Khabib has one way to win against Pettis: 1. blanket decision. Yet many act like it's almost a sure thing, and worse they seem somehow excited by the prospect. Fanaticism for most MMA fans is so irrational. I guess it's acceptable he's relatively boring and he's still impressive in spite of not being dynamic because he's Russian, wears a wig, talks big, and wrestled bears as a kid.

he has the perfect style to beat pettis imo

Interesting fight, Pettis has some wicked subs but can he handle all the many throws that Khabib might catch him in. Should be very intense fight of concentration and skill.

Back