Khabib: 'It's really hard to sign Russian fighters to UFC because they beat EVERYBODY!'

Now this is interesting. Do you have a source for the claim that the UFC assigns national quotas to fighters from different regions, and for your more specific claim that their quota for Russian fighters is 30?
I don't have a source but look at the number of fighters on the UFC roster and sort by nationality. Anybody who is in tune with the Russian MMA scene will tell you there are legions of unheralded Russian dudes that fight over there, mostly in ACA that are higher caliber then a lot of the random American guys they bring in short notice and/or on the contender series. Certainly higher caliber then some of the Americans and Western Euros we see on Bellator cards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_UFC_fighters

If you think there are only 30 fighters from Russia that are "UFC caliber" you are simply incorrect.

People are overthinking this one. The Russian guy's claim, as much as I disagreed with him on my post about the motivation, isn't that 50 russians would be UFC champs, but that 50 russians could fight in the UFC. That's really not a high bar.

Last weekend, on the Main Card, 17-6 Jared Gooden defeated Niklas Stolze, to send him to 12-5. In Gooden's last fight he lost to a Russian, Abubakar Nurmagomedov. And in Stolze's last fight he lost to another Russian, Ramazan Emeev. So the idea that "UFC quality" is some super high bar. Gooden is a solid regional journeyman. He beat an even less solid German journeyman, on the Main Card again nonetheless. Are there Russians on the regional scene, not in the UFC, that can beat Gooden and Stolze? Of course. That doesn't mean they'd win titles, but they're "UFC quality."
If it was truly a meriocratic system regardless of nationality where the UFC was searching for all the best guys they could get the number of Russian/Former USSR fighters would be much, much higher and American much much lower. China might have.. 3 on the roster.

I don't have a source but look at the number of fighters on the UFC roster and sort by nationality. Anybody who is in tune with the Russian MMA scene will tell you there are legions of unheralded Russian dudes that fight over there, mostly in ACA that are higher caliber then a lot of the random American guys they bring in short notice and/or on the contender series. Certainly higher caliber then some of the Americans and Western Euros we see on Bellator cards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_UFC_fighters

If you think there are only 30 fighters from Russia that are "UFC caliber" you are simply incorrect.

Do you see the problem here though? You claim that there are many Russian fighters who are high level, but don't fight in the UFC. I find this plausible. That led you to conclude that the UFC has a cap on the number of Russian fighters it allows into the UFC. That's a big jump. Your assumption doesn't force or prove the conclusion you reached.

It's not contradictory in any way to both believe that there are more than 30 Russian fighters who are high level and to be skeptical that the UFC employs national quotas.

GSP is at a different place at his age than Fedor. With Fedor the wheels have very obviously fallen off some time ago. GSP looks ready to fight tommorow,and wouldnt take a fight if he wasnt ready. GSP's a smart motherfucker.

I guess that is why the fight never happened. I am glad it didn't because I felt the deck was stacked hard against GSP.

Fedor's best fighting days are indeed well behind him, but I don't mind these guys fighting on if they enjoy it and the matchmaking is fair.

Do you see the problem here though? You claim that there are many Russian fighters who are high level, but don't fight in the UFC. I find this plausible. That led you to conclude that the UFC has a cap on the number of Russian fighters it allows into the UFC. That's a big jump. Your assumption doesn't force or prove the conclusion you reached.

It's not contradictory in any way to both believe that there are more than 30 Russian fighters who are high level and to be skeptical that the UFC employs national quotas.
I guess it's not undisputed proof, but why do you think that it's the case if there isn't a quota? I think logically speaking it makes sense that the UFC, who everyone knows first and foremost is a business doesn't want the divisions to consist of half unassuming Russian dudes who can't speak English with names that are hard to pronounce to Western viewers. These guys are the wrong combination of very good and unmarketable. Look at Tumenov begging the UFC for a shot on twitter, look at the fact they haven't signed Vartanyan, Kerimov, Raisov etc despite all of them openly saying that's where they want to fight.

Look at this video. It says they plan to sign 75 Chinese fighters. This shows that they build the roster around markets and nationality. Russia isn't the market they are going for therefore they limit the number of fighters from that region they sign. Despite what a lot of people think the UFC isn't actually under any obligation to find all of the best fighters regardless of marketability or nationality and put them under one roof where they can all fight each other. It's the closest approximation to that in the industry, but that doesn't make it entirely so.

I guess it's not undisputed proof, but why do you think that it's the case if there isn't a quota?

It's not even strong circumstantial proof. It's basically nothing to go on. There's an awful lot of reasons the situation could look exactly like this. It's possible a lot of fighters don't want to fight outside of Russia or eastern Europe. It's possible the situation is not exactly the way it is being portrayed to you and that there aren't a ton of top level Russian fighters who aren't signed.

Now if you are claiming that the UFC aims at national markets, that is obvious. Do they sign some fighters and push some fighters with that in view? Yep. Again, not the same thing as putting a cap on Russian fighters, or fighters of any other nationality.

Now, I'm not claiming that UFC doesn't do this. But people in this thread, including yourself I believe, are treating this as fact. It was described as "indisputable". Instead, it's 100% conjecture.

Abubaquitter tapped to a French white belt so why keep signing them?

It's not even strong circumstantial proof. It's basically nothing to go on. There's an awful lot of reasons the situation could look exactly like this. It's possible a lot of fighters don't want to fight outside of Russia or eastern Europe. It's possible the situation is not exactly the way it is being portrayed to you and that there aren't a ton of top level Russian fighters who aren't signed.

Now if you are claiming that the UFC aims at national markets, that is obvious. Do they sign some fighters and push some fighters with that in view? Yep. Again, not the same thing as putting a cap on Russian fighters, or fighters of any other nationality.

Now, I'm not claiming that UFC doesn't do this. But people in this thread, including yourself I believe, are treating this as fact. It was described as "indisputable". Instead, it's 100% conjecture.
The bolded is the thing I am most confident isn't the case. This is impossible to prove this due to the nature of MMA promotions being closed ecosystems, but as someone who watches a ton of MMA from all over the world I am very confident that there are legions of unheralded Russian fighters that would compete well in the major American promotions that do not. I can acknowledge the reason isn't 100% proven that it's a quota, but it's the reason that is most logical by far. There's a reason that UFC and Bellator both have former USSR fighters at the top of each division despite the numbers of fighters on the roster being so low. There's probably an element of guys wanting to stay at home and fight in Russia, but that doesn't explain the guys mentioned in my last post like Tumanov, Raisov etc.

Its the same reason why Kung Fu masters from China don’t get signed to the UFC…they would beat everyone, we don’t want to see deaths in the UFC, we want it to be a sport.

If it was truly a meriocratic system regardless of nationality where the UFC was searching for all the best guys they could get the number of Russian/Former USSR fighters would be much, much higher and American much much lower. China might have.. 3 on the roster.
This will be long, I often write a lot because it helps me organize research and organize my thoughts, so the TLDR is: The number of russians would be higher, the number of americans would not necessarily be much lower.

The americans in the promotion would be different, but not necessarily less, maybe 7-12 percentage points or so. In my opinion wrestling is the predominant base in MMA. There are some exceptions and there can be some outflows but as a general rule. But the proportion of MMA fighters at the top would vaguely resemble the annual national standings in wrestling. And as you can see in this year's Olympics, particularly men's freestyle, in almost every even Russia and the US medal, and then a spattering of representation from each CIS nation, the west-asian/east-european nations that formerly constituted the soviet bloc. Some as well from the middle east. The countries that would actually fall behind are the countries without significant wrestling bases, so west europe, east asia, south/central america, so on and so forth.

And I think that's where we're trending anyways, so it is what it is. I think, interestingly enough as we're talking about a thread where Khabib complains about not enough Russians being let in, it was worse before he came along. He was the one who really changed the perception amongst UFC brass that a russian wrestler could sell PPVs and be exciting and become a household name. In the past few years we've seen in a influx of CIS fighters debuting in the UFC and they look pretty darn unstoppable. And as they've been moving up, some of their displacement has been American fighters but a lot of their displacement has not been American fighters.

For example, when Makhachev and Tsarukyan arrived in the UFC one of the first guys they both beat was Davi Ramos, former ADCC champ. He was cut after losing to Tsarukyan. Another guy Tsarukyan beat who also left the org right after losing to him was Olivier Aubin Mercier, a Canadian judoka. It was losing to Makhachev and then Rustam Khabilov that got Kajan Johnson, who came into the promotion as a TUF: Canada prospect and started 4-1. Now this combo also took out Chris Wade (and eventually helped retire two vets, Brazilian Tibau and American Lentz), but as you can see the collateral damage of the rise of Islam Makhachev and Arman Tsarukyan is mostly not American. Islam is scheduled to fight RDA to move Islam up the rankings. RDA's recent losses have mostly come at the hands of a number of American wrestlers, like Usman, Covington, Chiesa, and long before that he lost to Khabib and Clay Guida. If he loses to Islam his stock will fall, obviously. The second Brazilian in the rankings is Carlos Diego Ferreira. He's lost 2 straight to Beneil Dariush and then Gregor Gillespie, if he loses to Grant Dawson, the American wrestler he's scheduled to fight, that will either move him or Thiago Moises out of the rankings and would move Dawson into the rankings.

Obviously this is just one division but I think it's a microcosm of things to come. Another division to consider for example. If Khamzat beats Li then Khamzat moves into the rankings, maybe at the expense of Li. Sean Brady beat Jake Matthews (Auzzie) to move himself into the rankings. Right now if anyone moves up it would move Salikhov out, so we will see how that plays out but you can also take note that Salkhov got himself into the rankings by beating 4 internationals in a row. The threat looming over this division in my opinion is Shavkat Rakhmonov, who has beaten 2 brazilians, Alex Oliveira and Michel Prazeres. He needs one more fight to get a ranked fight, at that point he'd probably fight one of Ponzinibbio, Li, or Salikhov. If he fights Salikhov that's just replacing CIS with CIS. If Li was still ranked at the time he might fight Li. If Ponzinibbio, he might take Ponzinibbio's spot in the rankings. The fighters sitting closest to a rank spot (probably 1 fight for each) are Ramazan Emeev (Russian) and Daniel Rodriguez (American). I'm not a massive fan of either, but whoever moves out, certainly the person coming in will be American or CIS.

And Bantamweight, Featherweight, heavily loaded up with CIS fighters who are on the edge of contention, like one fight away or two fights away. As well as Americans on win streaks. So it poses itself as a theoretical problem but I think soon this will be an actual problem for Dana White. He has to do his best to match up as many CIS fighters against other CIS fighters and/or Americans and against other Americans. He's built for himself a very diverse UFC, but recently he's been letting in a lot of CIS prospects, and these fighters are going to slowly erode the populations of most other countries. Now, I had a long post about it above, the US proportion of the UFC has already been going down due to the UFC's active efforts to diminish it. The UFC has been actively signing more international fighters and recruiting more through say contender series, I gave some numbers on that. So the number may still be inflated, but the level of inflation would be rather minimal compared to the various other regions that consistently produce no talent but still get a lot of UFC slots, especially as the org is majority international.

Doesn't the managers of Russian fighters quoting that it's basically a one in one out policy work for you?

I think three is harsh. Zhang, Xiaonan, Li, Song and Su are all certainly good enough. Plus Jiong and maybe Shang outside the roster.

Doesn't the managers of Russian fighters quoting that it's basically a one in one out policy work for you?

Yeah, that would be a good first step. So can you link to such an interview? Because Khabib doesn't say anything at all like that here, and he does not seem to operating with that understanding at all. What he says in this interview is that the UFC has all the best fighters and that you've got to be a really special talent to make it there. It's interesting that he drops his money quote about Russian fighters beating everyone right in the context of Gadzhi signing with Bellator. Khabib says, "I failed." he wanted to get the signed to the UFC, the UFC didn't go for it, and the crack about how tough Russian fighters are is just to soften the blow.

But overall, the biggest obstacle Khabib talks about in terms of Russian fighters signing with the UFC and Bellator is getting a VISA, not UFC national caps, which he never even hints at. He says his promotion isn't the US Embassy, doesn't have expertise in getting guys their visas, but if Mekhti had a visa, he'd already be signed to an American promotion.

I think three is harsh. Zhang, Xiaonan, Li, Song and Su are all certainly good enough. Plus Jiong and maybe Shang outside the roster.
yeah I totally agree and was wondering if someone was going to call me on it. Didn't actually do a checklist In my head until after I submitted the post. It's more like around 10 depending on how you wanted to assess folks like Wu Yanan and Song Kenan who are borderline.

Khabib is so full of himself. <MaryseShutIt>

There has been 1 Russian champ in entire UFC history LOL

Taktarov had a fixed fight with Macias, fake fight, so he was no champ

Back