Khabib: 'It's really hard to sign Russian fighters to UFC because they beat EVERYBODY!'

There has been a small handful of Russian high level fighters in the UFC to begin with. The UFC has an absolutely pitiful quota on Russian talent set at 30 fighters and a good chunk of that quota is wasted on so-so fighters like Volkov. Obviously, the UFC doesn't want to have too many actually talented Russians on the roster, because they cater to the domestic US market first and foremost. If Russians had the same number of fighters in the UFC as Americans do, every division from BW to LHW would be dominated by Russians. Russia only has problems with producing HW MMA talent.

lol what a stupid post. You really are simple, great name!

No. You're like so close but yet so far. The UFC doesn't cater to the US market. The UFC caters to a DIVERSE market. The UFC loves bringing in fighters from every corner of the world and hyping them up to tap into more markets. You're right that Russian fighters aren't signed but that's not to preserve US supremacy, that's to preserve diversity. For example, if Conor had met Khabib before he won his two titles, or if he was a young fighter coming up in the current era and had to fight Islam or Arman or Movsar, or other wrestlers from CIS countries like Topuria, so on and so forth, he never would have achieved his stardom and captured all the European fans that he has. That's why the Russian cap. That's why even there are many top american prospects who don't get signed. There's a quieter but undeniable cap on american fighters as well. There are fighters on the come up right now who could be that next big exciting UFC star whose paths to the top are being stalled or altogether blocked because of a logjam of Russians and Americans, it's even worse in Bellator because Bellator is more of a meritocracy.
nah ultimately their #1 market is the US. The fanbase, size and expendable income you see in the US (plus the relatively unregulated sales market) is worth more than anywhere else. China could be there soon, assuming they develop enough meaningful talent for it to be worth watching for the population (IE: maybe if Song Yadong takes off), but ultimately the biggest markets are the US and maybe a few others. The not-so-good guys from underrepresented countries are kept around in case they ever get good and can be used to enter a market, but even then it takes more than one or two good guys to ignite nationwide interest in a sport, it's a much slower, more investment heavy approach.

@ Simple'Slam

There has been a small handful of Russian high level fighters in the UFC to begin with. The UFC has an absolutely pitiful quota on Russian talent set at 30 fighters and a good chunk of that quota is wasted on so-so fighters like Volkov. Obviously, the UFC doesn't want to have too many actually talented Russians on the roster, because they cater to the domestic US market first and foremost. If Russians had the same number of fighters in the UFC as Americans do, every division from BW to LHW would be dominated by Russians. Russia only has problems with producing HW MMA talent.

No.

I agree, this is the same reason they don’t sign Zimbabwean fighters because they beat everyone.

Now this is interesting. Do you have a source for the claim that the UFC assigns national quotas to fighters from different regions, and for your more specific claim that their quota for Russian fighters is 30?

Here’s a post from a thread on the subject

Just been reading a few interesting Russian articles on this. You'll have to translate the pages obviously.

https://www.sport-express.ru/martia...ufc-ne-podpisyvayut-boycov-iz-rossii-1636615/

https://www.sport-express.ru/martia...zhet-pereyti-v-ufc-intervyu-s-boycom-1637147/

https://www.sport-express.ru/martia...lbert-tumenov-s-kem-sleduyuschiy-boy-1635901/

https://www.sport-express.ru/martia...lbert-tumenov-s-kem-sleduyuschiy-boy-1635901/

Basically says that the UFC has a limit on how many Russian fighters it will have on the roster at one time and they're at that limit now and it's basically a one in/one out policy at the moment.

- Shlemenko might be an exception as he's already known in the US.

- Albert Tumenov, Rustam Kerimov, Magomed Magomedov, Albert Duraev, Zhalgas Zhumaglov, Alexander Shabliy, Timur Valiev and Aliaskhab Khibriev are all actively trying to get into the UFC at the moment, but the UFC might not be able to sign them all.

- There's no testing in ACA, so some fighters aren't trying to come over.

- UFC doesn't want 4-5 ranked fighters in one division to be Russian, for business reasons.

SOURCE: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/ufc-bias-against-signing-russian-fighters.4077719/

Khabib is a bit delusional lol.

Cliffs:

Talks about the event his promotion put on,and his intention for it to be a gateway for some to the UFC.

Says they are pushing Usman Nurmagomedov's career in Bellator slowly.

Says that he knows who Fedor's opponent is (I suppose this was before it was revealed) and that he wants easy opponents for Fedor at his age.

Islam has a minor injury from his last fight. Not serious.

Says that he hopes that Dagestani fighters wouldnt have to fight each other in Bellator,but if it happens,it happens. It already has happened on his own cards.

Interesting he wants fedor to fight easy people at his age but he kept begging to fight old man GSP at a weight class GSP had never had a fight at.

All you gotta do is watch the fights for the past 10 years. The Russians are nothing special.
Im tickled to hear you say that !

SO:

Ubervolkov: Hovering around the top 5.
Ankalaev: Close to title shot
Zabit: Close to title shot
Islam: Close to title shot
Petr Yan: About to be two time champion
Nemkov: LHW Bellator champion under the cruel but fair tutelage of E-Fedya Da GAWD
Khamzat: UFC cant wait to push him to the moon.
Usman and Umar Nurmagomedov already show great promise.
Guram Kutateladze is also one to watch out for,soon as he can get another fight.

Also Khabib,who has never been defeated.

Interesting he wants fedor to fight easy people at his age but he kept begging to fight old man GSP at a weight class GSP had never had a fight at.
GSP is at a different place at his age than Fedor. With Fedor the wheels have very obviously fallen off some time ago. GSP looks ready to fight tommorow,and wouldnt take a fight if he wasnt ready. GSP's a smart motherfucker.

Maybe they just don't want to fight for the UFC? I mean there are other organizations with rules they prefer.

Maybe they just don't want to fight for the UFC? I mean there are other organizations with rules they prefer.
I doubt its the rules. Some people just feel more comfortable fighting in their own country where they have no trouble getting the fights they want,and for some,there is either a criminal element,or a PED element involved with staying in Russia.

That's why the Russian cap. That's why even there are many top american prospects who don't get signed. There's a quieter but undeniable cap on american fighters as well.

Source on national caps for Russian and American fighters, etc? You say it is undeniable, but it doesn't seem undeniable at all.

Reactions: HHJ
I doubt its the rules. Some people just feel more comfortable fighting in their own country where they have no trouble getting the fights they want,and for some,there is either a criminal element,or a PED element involved with staying in Russia.

Also like, language, culture, family. Unless you really think you are going to be a big star and make big money, the incentive to live and train overseas may not be all that great.

Also like, language, culture, family. Unless you really think you are going to be a big star and make big money, the incentive to live and train overseas may not be all that great.
Same as in Japan tbh

If you make good money fighting in Rizin as a Japanese,why not live a more comfortable life? Fighting is hard enough as it is.

This is just my own personal opinion, but I'd rather work for a company where your promoter isn't actively talking shit about all his employee's in the press. I don't doubt I'm the only one who thinks that way. You "may" make the most in the UFC, but at what cost?

This is just my own personal opinion, but I'd rather work for a company where your promoter isn't actively talking shit about all his employee's in the press. I don't doubt I'm the only one who thinks that way. You "may" make the most in the UFC, but at what cost?
This was certainly one of sticking points Fedor made in not signing with UFC. He never had to deal with this in Pride or anywhere else.

Back