Khabib is the most complete grappler to ever compete in MMA

I have a hard time accepting your premise because he has neither the formal submission grappling titles nor the amateur wrestling credentials. In that regard, he’s similar Jon Jones, who is also a dominant grappler despite his lack of formal grappling credentials. The difference is that Jones has more submissions and ground and pound stoppages and has outgrappled far higher level wrestlers (Bader, Chael, DC) than anyone Khabib has faced. Khabib has been freight training guys to be sure but let’s see how he’s able to assert his will against a Gregor Gillespie type character or a Ben Askren.

I didn't know that wrestling or submission grappling were the only accredited types of grappling arts. Sambo and Judo are not? Who approved this conception? Or you are just assuming stuff?

The most complete grappler in mma has never actually fought an elite wrestler.

He doesn't have the credentials or the fundamentals, but he could be the greatest grappler we've ever seen.

So who define what's a valid credential? You do? Don't make me laugh.
And how you concluded that he doesn't have the fundamentals if he's been training since 5 years old?

All stats are from fightmetric.com

Takedown Accuracy: George St. Pierre 74% Khabib - 44%
Takedown Defense: Tyron Woodley - 94% Khabib - 84%
Takedown Attempts(avg every 15 minutes) -Khabib -5.44 (You got me on this one, he attempts a crazy number of takedowns)
Submission Attempts (avg every 15 minutes) -Demian Maia - 1.0 Khabib - .6

Also per UFC.com he is not in the top ten for any of these categories as well as takedowns landed, or total sumission attempts.

So he is clearly not the best in any one category.

Now your statement was he is the most well rounded which brings me back to the UFC stats page. He does not appear in the top 10 for any grappling category. How can he be the most well rounded if he is not even in the top 10?

I'm not a khabib hater, I honestly think he will win against Mcgregor but this bullshit making him out to be some all time great has to stop. he hasnt accomplished shit yet. Mcgregor is his first real test. That will solidify him as Champ(I know hes the "real" champ but we all know unless he beats Conor that belt is worthless). The man has a great start but he is not "the most well rounded grappler we've ever seen in mma".

Who said that this metrics are the way validate who's the best grappler? You? Don't make laugh. This metrics are for reference only not to do huge conclusions as to who's the best overall grappler.

# of wrestlers he's outwrestled - 0

Until he proves he can impose his grappling on the upper echelon wrestlers like GSP did, he'll have to take the back seat.

So far he's had far less success against lesser comp. Than GSP, and GSP never faced a guy where he couldnt even get a single TD.

I dont believe Khabib is anything more than another Jake Shields(outwrestled Hendo, Woodley, out grappled Maia)

I only saw his MMA fight with maia, where maia landed more takedowns and had the more dominant position (shields back), and shields won a SD by having a few nice reversals and then sitting in maia's guard, and ultimately being more active on the feet in round 5.

Did they have a grappling match that I missed? I'd be interested in watching that.

This this and this. Maia was not outgrappled. He was trying to advance and get a sub while Shields just wanted to sit in his guard. I'd call that a tie. Also...Shields was saved from RNC by the bell against that weird nutcase guy.

We haven't seen him on his back trying subs, but regarding top control he is.

This this and this. Maia was not outgrappled. He was trying to advance and get a sub while Shields just wanted to sit in his guard. I'd call that a tie. Also...Shields was saved from RNC by the bell against that weird nutcase guy.

In no gi comp. Shields wouldve won. That is being out grappled.

So who define what's a valid credential? You do? Don't make me laugh.
And how you concluded that he doesn't have the fundamentals if he's been training since 5 years old?
Brother I wasn't hating on Khabib. I believe Khabib is the greatest grappler we've seen other than Jones in the octagon.

What I mean't is ,he doesn't have the resume of a Jones or GSP. That is what I mean't by credentials. When I said fundamentals, I meant orthodox wrestling or grappling. Khabib is way different to normal grapplers. Guy is special.

I didn't know that wrestling or submission grappling were the only accredited types of grappling arts. Sambo and Judo are not? Who approved this conception? Or you are just assuming stuff?

Ok, what Judo championships has he won on the world stage? I’ll concede Sambo but how deep is that competition pool? Again, I’m not suggesting that he’s not an outstanding grappler. I’m just stating that I’d personally like to see how he does with a credentialed world class grappler before I anoint him as the most complete grappler in history. Right now, I’d stick him behind GSP and Jones.

Who said that this metrics are the way validate who's the best grappler? You? Don't make laugh. This metrics are for reference only not to do huge conclusions as to who's the best overall grappler.
Ok, what metrics are you going by? How much you love khabib? I mean shouldnt the most well rounded grappler be better at takedowns and submissions? Help me out here, what facts are you using?

If you're below MW you immediately disqualify yourself in any "complete" discussion.

NEWS FLASH: SIZE AND STRENGTH are vital in grappling. If you're a LW you're way too small to be effective against decent HW grapplers regardless of how P4P skilled you are, which means no, you're not complete.
Well, Khabib does go ham with Rockhold. Is he not complete enough then?
Even though I disagree with this post, simply because Khabib only has one way to utilize his grappling and is screwed anywhere besides clinch and on the cage. Other than that he has a ankle pick.. so I would never say complete with Khabib. But when he is on someone, we all know the damage.

Well, Khabib does go ham with Rockhold. Is he not complete enough then?
Even though I disagree with this post, simply because Khabib only has one way to utilize his grappling and is screwed anywhere besides clinch and on the cage. Other than that he has a ankle pick.. so I would never say complete with Khabib. But when he is on someone, we all know the damage.

That's teammate talk, it doesn't mean anything. According to Edmund Ronda was dropping boxing world champs in training too. We have no footage of him in actual competition against 200+lbs elite grapplers - e.g. entering ADCC absolutes doing well, or going against HW Olympic wrestlers who're not team members and hanging in there. Size matters in grappling, and if you're too small to be effective against large grapplers then you're by definition not complete because you're missing size/strength.

That's teammate talk, it doesn't mean anything. According to Edmund Ronda was dropping boxing world champs in training too. We have no footage of him in actual competition against 200+lbs elite grapplers - e.g. entering ADCC absolutes doing well, or going against HW Olympic wrestlers who're not team members and hanging in there. Size matters in grappling, and if you're too small to be effective against large grapplers then you're by definition not complete because you're missing size/strength.
I won't argue with you on strength and size. And I've already been debunked with DC on his grappling with Khabib. But I already stated I agreed with you on him not being "complete".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back