Khabib is in a favorable division

You changed the subject from wrestling to weight classes. Respond to meaning, not words used to convey the meaning.

Size plays into a fighter's skills. And skills should be examined when looking at a matchup. But that's all irrelevant here, as TS isn't even doing that; he's simply saying Khabib hasn't fought any high level college wrestlers, which he hasn't.

Agreed, size would be a factor if DC and Cejudo fought. But only bring that point up if I claim otherwise. i.e. you don't see me saying "giraffes obviously have long necks, come on it's not hard" because you haven't commented on giraffe neck length.

I think you're the one not understanding "size doesn't matter in this topic" yet TS has mentioned a bunch of wresters a lot bigger than Khabib so don't give me that. If TS says Khabib would struggle against bigger opponents then of course size would impact that. I was the one responding to TS you inserted yourself in the conversation, I stated there's a reason Khabib would lose to some of those guys wrestling wise, wrestling ability is only part of that reason why.

Not Khabib's fault there's no ACDD World Series champion at 155.

Here's the thing... Khabib and Islam aren't the best wrestlers in the Caucasus but for good reason; that place is like ground zero for wrestling. Also both of them aren't training in pure-wrestling which is why he has a smooth transition to MMA. Also, how many fighters has faced a D1/All-American more than once or twice in every division? seems like a reach on your part here, man.

Agree. The combination of free style, greco and judo has them better equipped for mma than a folk style background.

Khabob has never faced an NCAA division 1 champion, or any wrestler even for that matter

He is undefeated 27-0, but a majority of those wins are essentially untraceable and in Russia

The best wrestler he has faced is probably Al IaQuinta, the real estate agent who wrestled in high school

Once someone stops his takedowns, and it will happen, he will look like a fish out of water on the feet, kind of like Ronda Rousey

If he ever had to face guys like Woodley, Usman, Colby, GSP, etc he would he in for a really long night
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...3-1-khabib´s-eastern-european-career.3830345/

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...-european-career-the-magomedov-fight.3968083/

Meanwhile, Khabib faced WW Eldarov, high level wrassler, for instance.

<{cruzshake}>
I think you're the one who needs to fill in the blanks. This is a thinly veiled hate thread.

If Woodley was the same size as Khabib he would get outclassed. He's almost certainly not a better wrestler than him lol.

Only Usman, Colby, and GSP are on the same level in terms of skill, and you cannot say for certain they would beat Khabib if they were the same size as him. How could you? They're not the same size, so it's meaningless to make comparisons like these.
Big claim regarding Woodley. Styles make fights, and even if Usman did get him down a couple times, he still has some of the best TDD ever in MMA. And Khabib relies heavily on being able to get takedowns. He doesn't have the striking, and yes, size, of Kamaru Usman. I probably favor Woodley to beat Khabib. I dunno what you mean by "if they were the same size", so you'll have to clarify on your hypothetical. Khabib is an inch taller, Woodley has 2 inches more reach, and is probably on average 10-15 pounds heavier in the cage in the classes they fight in. Were they to fight at 170, there'd probably only be a 5 pound difference, if that. Anyway, I assume you're talking about scaling down Woodley's weight so he can make the cut to 155, and thus his height and reach along with that. So that's make him 2 inches shorter, but still with a 1 inch reach advantage. You see how we're not talking big degrees here? Weight matters along with height and reach when it comes to size. And size matters in how it plays into the style/skill matchup. And I think Woodley beats Khabib.

You say Woodley would get outclassed were he the same size as Khabib, but then go on to say you can't make such comparisons for other welterweights. Huh? Anyway, Colby is a very similar size to Khabib. Similar weight currently, same reach, 1 inch of height difference. And a tough matchup for Khabib. I'm not sure who'd win but favor Colby. GSP is a very tough matchup for Khabib because he'd have a lot of reach, much better striking, and defend the takedowns. Usman would be too hard to take down and would win on the feet.

But yeah, like @sampuncher, you've strayed very far from TS' point; that Khabib hasn't proven himself against high level wrestlers in MMA.

I think you're the one not understanding "size doesn't matter in this topic" yet TS has mentioned a bunch of wresters a lot bigger than Khabib so don't give me that. If TS says Khabib would struggle against bigger opponents then of course size would impact that. I was the one responding to TS you inserted yourself in the conversation, I stated there's a reason Khabib would lose to some of those guys wrestling wise, wrestling ability is only part of that reason why.
You've missed TS' point entirely. He's saying that Lightweight hasn't featured wrestlers of the likes of Woodley, Usman, and Covington. Thus, Khabib hasn't proven himself against that style of opponent. He's not saying "Khabib would struggle against Woodley, Usman, and Covington; thus his wrestling isn't good".

But yeah, like @sampuncher, you've strayed very far from TS' point; that Khabib hasn't proven himself against high level wrestlers in MMA.

Because he hasn't fought them? That's why, I never disputed that. My point was saying he'd get mauled by guys like Usman, GSP. it was there in black and white it's not my fault you got so confused and then upset yourself.

I guess to refute TS's argument, Islam or Armand needs to beat Gillespie because there is no way Gillespie will reach top 5 let a lone a title shot.

He's not saying "Khabib would struggle against Woodley, Usman, and Covington; thus his wrestling isn't good".

"If he ever had to face guys like Woodley, Usman, Colby, GSP, etc he would he in for a really long night". Straight from TS's opening comment. Read the topic before commenting otherwise you look stupid.

EDIT. TS's initial reply was "It's not just about the size" which shows he was having size as one factor at least. Read the topic jesus.

Last edited:
Gillespie doesn't want to fight legit A level athletes.

From wiki:
Gillespie stated that he ended his wrestling career because he didn't think he could beat Jordan Burroughs.

Damn, never heard that. I'd heard people saying Gillespie doesn't really want to fight top guys and never understood it.

Porier is the same size as Khabib. check the face off. talking about him being a ww, you guys are pathetic haters.

Your logic fails anyway TS...D1 wrestlers have shitty striking so even if they stopped his td they would need to beat him on the feet. Nobody has come close to hurting him on the feet.

He had zero problems with that bum condom mcgregor and Iaquinta and Barboza. Khabib will be fine if he fights (overrated) d 1 wrestlers.

The real question is how will you react when he beats everyone and you run out of excuses?

??...you will of course make more excuses....it doesn't matter what he does BECAUSE YOU'RE A CERTIFIED HATER FOR LIFE.

Khabib is superior...the sooner you come to terms with it, the sooner you will feel better inside...bow down now or continue crying until he retires...

Khabib bless.

Gillespie is promising for sure, but he has to stop fishing start fighting more before we'll be able to tell more.

Big claim regarding Woodley. Styles make fights, and even if Usman did get him down a couple times, he still has some of the best TDD ever in MMA. And Khabib relies heavily on being able to get takedowns. He doesn't have the striking, and yes, size, of Kamaru Usman. I probably favor Woodley to beat Khabib. I dunno what you mean by "if they were the same size", so you'll have to clarify on your hypothetical. Khabib is an inch taller, Woodley has 2 inches more reach, and is probably on average 10-15 pounds heavier in the cage in the classes they fight in. Were they to fight at 170, there'd probably only be a 5 pound difference, if that. Anyway, I assume you're talking about scaling down Woodley's weight so he can make the cut to 155, and thus his height and reach along with that. So that's make him 2 inches shorter, but still with a 1 inch reach advantage. You see how we're not talking big degrees here? Weight matters along with height and reach when it comes to size. And size matters in how it plays into the style/skill matchup. And I think Woodley beats Khabib.
{<doc}

It's 6 AM where I live and I honestly don't understand wtf you're going on about. When did I bring up height or reach?? I just said if they were the same size, so similar frame/muscle mass.

There would DEFINITELY, not be 'only a 5 pound difference' between Woodley and Khabib if they fought at 170.
You say Woodley would get outclassed were he the same size as Khabib, but then go on to say you can't make such comparisons for other welterweights. Huh?
My point was that in terms of 'wresting skill and technique', Woodley is not on the same level as Khabib.
He does not handle pressure well, and gasses against the kind of relentlessness that Khabib is known for.

Most people would agree that in terms of just technique/skill, Usman/Colby/GSP are on the same level, so how can you be sure who would win if they were the same size? It'd be very hard to favor either fighter because it'd all just be hypothetical.
you've strayed very far from TS' point; that Khabib hasn't proven himself against high level wrestlers in MMA.
Tibau is one of the best wrestlers in LW history and Khabib won. Not to mention Tibau was on roids and it was only Khabib's 2nd fight in the UFC. Sooo... you'd be wrong there as well?

And while it is true he hasn't faced a high level college wrestler, he'd still be favored over Gaethje/Lentz/Miller/Gillespie, etc, just like he'd be favored over basically everyone in the division.

Khabob has never faced an NCAA division 1 champion, or any wrestler even for that matter

He is undefeated 27-0, but a majority of those wins are essentially untraceable and in Russia

The best wrestler he has faced is probably Al IaQuinta, the real estate agent who wrestled in high school

Once someone stops his takedowns, and it will happen, he will look like a fish out of water on the feet, kind of like Ronda Rousey

If he ever had to face guys like Woodley, Usman, Colby, GSP, etc he would he in for a really long night

This is true BUT

He trains with a very wrestling oriented team, so the chances are in his favor.

The outcome could be that he gets stuffed, OR, he does the same thing he always does and outwrestles them.

If you get some outstanding wrestler to face Khabib chances are he's a noob in MMA, so again, Khabib is around 10 years ahead in MMA.

You can get a champ wrestler to face Khabib, if he's that better in wrestling he'll probably suck at subs, and will get subbed.

Agreed. He needs to face an elite wrestler like Gillespie or his teammate makachev who beats him imo.
Edit ferg probably beats him via dec....

So Khabib is fighting favorable opponents because he happens to be far more skilled at a particular aspect of MMA than they are. Ok.

Porier is the same size as Khabib. check the face off. talking about him being a ww, you guys are pathetic haters.

Khabib has more fights at WW than he does at LW. And he's missed making weight at LW on more than one occasion, even ending up hospitalized. He IS a natural WW.

Having said that, he hasn't missed weight in a long time, so I have no problem with him staying at LW if that's what he chooses. But if he beats Poirier and then Ferguson, I'd like to see him challenge himself by going back to his natural weight class.

I agree but It doesn't mean he wouldn't have success, we'll never know until he moves up or they move down.

Neither have fighters in a lot of divisions outside of WW. Neither have Holloway, Whittaker, Adesanya to name a few others.

Romero is not a well credentialed wrestler? What about Jacare as a submission grappler? You won’t see Rob double leg someone too often but his defensive wrestling is more than decent.

Back