News Khabib: I was 80% sure Tibau would get his hand raised

ViD

🇷🇺🤝🇺🇸
@Brown
Reaction score

In this very old Russian interview at around 3:50 minute mark Khabib discusses the Tibau fight.

The interviewer asks him “you were really happy after your first win, but you seemed much more serious and even cried after the decision versus Tibau”

Khabib says “Yeah, I already knew I was going to get my hand raised in the first fight, but in the second fight I thought they might give the win to Tibau since he was the veteran with 16 fights there, I was about 80% sure they’d give it to him so when they raised my hand it was a burst of emotions. But then I rewatched my fight and I saw I mostly dominated and deserved the win”

A few other interesting quotes from the interview

- “I’d really like to fight Diaz, he’s well known and he’s got a champion level recognition, he might be more popular than Benson”

- “I saw all the ring girls, they’re all not bad, but I can’t take what’s not mine”

Last edited:
Tibau did not do anything to win that fight.

You don't defend for 85% of a fight, achieve nothing and win.

"But then I rewatched my fight and I saw I mostly dominated"

<Durant35>

50/50 fight could have gone either way

Meh it was 7 years ago. Khabib was 23 years old and it was his first really difficult fight.

I thought Gleison Tibau won that fight but I don't whine about it

Atleast Khabib beat Conor thats what makes me sleep well at night

When a fight is very close there is no such thing as a robbery.

Leonard Garcia dominated fights by throwing dozens of wild misses.

I mean he certainly attempted more offense (regardless of success).

<BC1>

In this very old Russian interview at around 3:50 minute mark Khabib discusses the Tibau fight.

The interviewer asks him “you were really happy after your first win, but you seemed much more serious and even cried after the decision versus Tibau”

Khabib says “Yeah, I already knew I was going to get my hand raised in the first fight, but in the second fight I thought they might give the win to Tibau since he was the veteran with 16 fights there, I was about 80% sure they’d give it to him so when they raised my hand it was a burst of emotions. But then I rewatched my fight and I saw I mostly dominated and deserved the win”

- “I’d really like to fight Diaz, he’s well known and he’s got a champion level recognition, he might be more popular than Benson”

- “I saw all the ring girls, they’re all not bad, but I can’t take what’s not mine”

Lmaao the last line

And yet still fought through adversity and earned the win. That's how a champion fights.

Now that's a corrupt decision.
The only thing that's corrupt here is your brain.

I just watched this the other day. Close fight but still decisive enough in Khabib's favor to give him the W. He may have lost the third round, but that's it. I couldn't believe how surprised Rogan and Goldberg where when they heard the scorecards

A win is a win. What you and me think doesn't matter. Judges score is what matters, watching a fight real time is much different than that on TV. Many also believe that Jones lost to Santos and Gus.

You don't fail at attacking for 85% of a fight, achieve nothing and win.

Tibau didnt do enough to win IMO. Khabib even did more damage striking.

He outlanded Khabib, and hit the only TD of the fight.

It wasn't a robbery, but there's no way in hell that Khabib won the third round. 30-27 for Khabib in that fight was as ridiculous a scorecard as a 30-27 for either Barboza or Felder.

That said. This was years ago. Khabib has improved substantially, and Tibau was on gear and fighting in the wrong weight class. Even if he had lost, it wouldn't mean anything.

He outlanded Khabib, and hit the only TD of the fight.
Khabib did more damage, he actually cut Tibau's face open. Takedowns that do not result in the establishment of a dominant position (which Tibau never did) or do not lead to offense from the use of the takedown (which was not the case) are worthless in the eyes of the judges, this is specifically said in the unified rules.

Back