Khabib has nothing for Jose Aldo

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Usually in fighting when a guy is a grappler and is bigger....he has the distinct advantage going into the fight. The difference between a Aldo/Khabib match up, is that size isn't going to be much of a factor. Let me explain why.

The whole reason people think Khabib could beat Aldo is for one reason...grappling. The thing is Khabibs takedowns are nothing special, they're actually incredibly basic and I dare anyone to try and explain why his takedowns are somehow different or better than anyone elses. He rushes in, takes strikes, and uses brute force to get deep in the penetration. Not only does he brute his way in, but he uses little technique to actually drag it down...instead he relies on locking his hands and just picking guys up and slamming them. His takedowns work very well because he's a big lightweight and over powers guys. His lack of takedown technique (within his mma fights) was exposes badly when he fought Gleison Tibau. Gleison is also a gigantic LW and 11..yes ELEVEN of all of Khabib's takedown attempts were EASILY stuffed. Infact, Gleison took Khabib down off of Khabib's own failed takedowns. So what does that say? His brute/pressure takedown style fails against people stronger/bigger than him. Of course most guys are not as strong as Tibau so we never really got to see Khabib get stuffed more often.

But Aldo isn't as strong as Tibau? True, but Aldo is one of the fastest fighters in the UFC and arguably the best reflexes. When it comes to defending takedowns, no one comes close to Aldo...he made Edgar look sloppy, Lamas couldn't do anything with him, and one of the best takedown artists in MMA history Chad Mendes struggled to take him down.

And when it comes to the takedowns, strength isn't a factor. It's about speed, set ups, and timing. Khabib may be strong as an ox, but if Aldo can see him shooting for the takedown...that strength means nothing until you can get a hold of him...and Chad/Frankie are miles faster and cleaner than Khabib in terms of takedowns. Just like KO power means nothing if the guy is too elusive. If Aldo can defend shots from much faster men...a brute like Khabib won't be able to touch his legs.

So again, we all know Khabib cannot win AT ALL unless he gets the takedown. So here are the reasons why this is arguably a UD for ALdo

1. Khabib's takedowns are the slowest that Aldo has ever faced. Better takedown guys like Chad struggled to even get in contact. Khabib relies on getting guys on the fence and then locking his hands. With Aldo, the time needed to lock hands is minimal.
CrazySandyAfricangoldencat.gif

2. Aldo's reflexes are on point to defend the takedown, but his pivot game is the best we've ever seen. He can defend the takedown athletically and technically. In the gif below, Frankie shoots a fantastic shot...but Aldo pivots well and if you look at frankies hands...he just wasn't fast enough to lock around and get his grip.
aldo-takedown-defense-reversal.gif

aldo-whizzer-throw-takedown-defense.gif

3. The size factor doesn't matter UNTIL it gets to the ground. Khabib relies too much on takedowns using the fence cause he wants guys trapped and have nowhere to go. He knows his shot and penetration are a bit sloppy and brutish, so he needs guys to be stuck on the fence to finally take them down. Aldo NEVER gets his back put against the fence because of his amazing footwork and pivot game.

Aldo would side step Khabib so hard, that Eagle would consider a career in dancing. Those sloppy doubles would look silly with Aldo's crisp footwork and pivoting. Not to mention, the striking aspect is not even worth mentioning...Khabib's grappling is world class...but he's got below-shields level striking. Not to mention Aldo is a black belt, MJ is a fish on the ground so don't use that as a bar on how good Khabib is. just 2 years ago, MJ got DESTROYED on the ground by now featherweight and black belt Myles Jury.

the thing about khabib is besides hes extremely strong, is that hes relentless, he doesn't care if the initial takedown doesn't work the dude is a takedown terminator and just keeps moving forward with them, i think he'd eventually get aldo down, also i dont think aldo would throw as many kicks due to the td treat imo

It would be a good match up. I would love to see it.

Despite the size difference, I think it's a bad match up for Khabib. This is absolutely a fight Aldo should take if he has any shot whatsoever at it.

MJ has very good TDD.

Not as good as Aldo, but he is also stronger and bigger than Aldo.

the thing about khabib is besides hes extremely strong, is that hes relentless, he doesn't care if the initial takedown doesn't work the dude is a takedown terminator and just keeps moving forward with them, i think he'd eventually get aldo down, also i dont think aldo would throw as many kicks due to the td treat imo

Why would Aldo need to throw kicks? His hands are already MILES ahead of Khabib. Aldo could outbox him and just worry about defending takedowns.

3 rounds would be a piece of cake (for Aldo), but stopping them for 5 rounds might a bit too much though..

Does it matter that Khabib's takedowns are basic? Are you gonna use the same thing with Jordan Burroughs? He just uses basic double legs and low singles, right? and uses nothing but 100% technique, lol. It shows how much you know about wrestling, the best in the world have all mastered basics and fundamentals. and I do believe that Khabib would get Aldo down, he would probably be the strongest clinch fighter that Aldo will have fought.

MJ has very good TDD.

Not as good as Aldo, but he is also stronger and bigger than Aldo.

No he's not...MJ got wrestle fucked and hell down by Myles Jury not to long ago. Myles Jury did exactly what Khabib did to MJ except the finish. MJ is a fish on the ground and Jury is a featherweight now....he didn't even get beat on the ground by a big LW at that.

I stopped reading after Khabibs takedowns are not special

Does it matter that Khabib's takedowns are basic? Are you gonna use the same thing with Jordan Burroughs? He just uses basic double legs and low singles, right? and uses nothing but 100% technique, lol. It shows how much you know about wrestling, the best in the world have all mastered basics and fundamentals. and I do believe that Khabib would get Aldo down, he would probably be the strongest clinch fighter that Aldo will have fought.

Jordan Burroughs is incredibly fast and has the best double leg in wrestling history. And I didn't say Khabib's takedowns are basic, I said his penetration step and his entry are basic...he rushes in. I know more about wrestling than you do, considering I actually wrestled throughout college.

Don't compare the GOAT burroughs to Khabib in terms of takedowns. Khabib was a failed freestyle wrestler. The reason why he got into MMA was because he couldn't beat some of his teammates for starting spots on the dagestani team. Jordan uses amazing feints and head snaps to get the takedown. Khabib uses none of the above and eats shots to get the takedown. Credit to Khabib cause he knows he'll win the minute the takedown is achieved.

Also, Aldo rarely gets into clinches....the dude just doesn't let people get close. He loves to strike on the outside and if you get close, you'll be bombarded with strikes.

I stopped reading after Khabibs takedowns are not special

That's probably as far as your literacy could take you. I don't blame ya. And no they aren't special, his takedowns are just like anyone elses. Only difference is he has the best top control right now, which makes it look as if Takedown = death. His takedowns are average, which is why he has to rush in sloppy. As long as he finally gets you down, he knows he gets the finish.

stfu dumbass you dont know shit about Khabib takedowns

You sound pathetic, his takedowns are basic and rudimentary. He's not even top 200 in terms of wrestling in dagestan. He got into MMA cause he couldn't make the international team.

Back