Khabib/Gaethge is like Usman/Woodlie

Ackmed

Silver Belt
Reaction score
In the lead up to Usman vs Woodlie so many believed that Woodlie's wrestling credentials which are better than Usman's on paper will cancel out their wrestling and Woodlie'a KO power would be too much for Usman to handle.

Basically the same argument some hold for Gartje beating Khabib.

Paper wrestling credentials (without showing them in the octaton) didn't work in that fight and it wont work this time either.

The only difference is Khabib is more likely to submit opponents than Kamaruu so instead of a 5 round 50-43 win it'll be a Khabub finish after just a few rounds albeit still dominant rounds

Discuss

Woodley literally puts his own ass on the cage in almost every fight and is an extremely low output fighter, so much so that he held the record for least strikes thrown in a five round fight.

Gaethje either pressures, or circles, but he almost never gets put on the cage unless he's rocked. He's also one of the most active strikers the sport has seen.

Nobody actually thinks gaethje is a better wrestler than khabib, but plenty thought that Woodley was a better wrestler than usman.

Do you know what also was the case before Woodley vs Usman? Everyone said Woodley was going to win, and then he didn't. They were underestimating the challenger.

Discuss?

This is some sketchy ass MMAth used to disprove a point argued by a small subset of this board.

Most of us understand that college wrestling credentials do not make one an unbeatable wrasslin god. We also understand that they do increase the probability of a fighter being a decent wrestler. Nothing more nothing less.

Sort of except Usman was a late starter in wrestling, which is why he wound up becoming a D2 national champ, because according to everyone in the wrestling world he's upper tier D1 level in terms of talent.

Not to mention Woodley was in his late 30s vs Usman early 30s, it's not like a 50 year old Olympic gold medalist will always be at a higher level than say a D1 all American.

Wrestling isn't exactly an old man's game, I'd favor the current D1 champ over Kurt Angle....

I have a feeling it'll be more like Hughes vs. Sherk.

i can see your comparison somewhat valid in the conditioning department
habib has the better cardio imo

Islam Makhachev clowns Gaethje and Woodley.

Am I doing this right?

I agree Islam is a bad matchup for Justin. Hard to say how he'd do at 170, obviously Islam would he bigger and stronger than he is at 155 so yeah it would be interesting to see Woodlee vs Islam at 170. Let's see how Twood does tonight and maybe it will make sense after.

Discuss?

This is some sketchy ass MMAth used to disprove a point argued by a small subset of this board.

Most of us understand that college wrestling credentials do not make one an unbeatable wrasslin god. We also understand that they do increase the probability of a fighter being a decent wrestler. Nothing more nothing less.

Tell that to the Contards arguing Gaethje will KO Khabib

Gaethje definitely does not have better grappling on paper than Khabib.

Woodley has top tier takedown defense, we can't say the same about Gaethje.

I agree Islam is a bad matchup for Justin. Hard to say how he'd do at 170, obviously Islam would he bigger and stronger than he is at 155 so yeah it would be interesting to see Woodlee vs Islam at 170. Let's see how Twood does tonight and maybe it will make sense after.
Islam should fight Ferreira next

Tough matchup

Do you know what also was the case before Woodley vs Usman? Everyone said Woodley was going to win, and then he didn't. They were underestimating the challenger.

I was saying for years Usman was the next champ and made some good money off of him destroying woodley.
Gaethje vs Khabib is a completely different fight. Although I do favor Khabib, Gaethje has a solid chance imo.

In the lead up to Usman vs Woodlie so many believed that Woodlie's wrestling credentials which are better than Usman's on paper will cancel out their wrestling and Woodlie'a KO power would be too much for Usman to handle.

Basically the same argument some hold for Gartje beating Khabib.

Paper wrestling credentials (without showing them in the octaton) didn't work in that fight and it wont work this time either.

The only difference is Khabib is more likely to submit opponents than Kamaruu so instead of a 5 round 50-43 win it'll be a Khabub finish after just a few rounds albeit still dominant rounds

Discuss
Nobody thinks Gaethje has better wrestling than Khabib, including Gaethje. Many people thought D1 wrestling stud Woodley would have the better wrestling. Woodley thought this himself. He folded like a cheap accordion when he realized Usman was a better wrestler and stronger. Woodley is good as the hammer but refuses to compete when he's the nail. Gaethje has to try and avoid being taken down. If he gets taken down a few times he loses easily. It gets interesting if he can keep it standing. He's a game opponent.

Last edited:
Nobody thinks Gaethje has better wrestling than Gaethje, including Gaethje. .

Gaethje and everyone agree that Gaethje's wrestling is equal to Gaethje's, but some argue it's better than Khabib's

Tell that to the Contards arguing Gaethje will KO Khabib
Arguing that Gaetheje will KO khabib is very different than arguing that Gaethjes collegiate wrestling background is a guarantee that he will stuff Khabib with ease....

Arguing that Gaetheje will KO khabib is very different than arguing that Gaethjes collegiate wrestling background is a guarantee that he will stuff Khabib with ease....

Woodlie was supposed to KO Usman too, due to his KO power, Usman's supposedly weak striking and their wrestling cancelling out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back