Khabib completely shutting down Poirier's switch attempts.

Hmm, I don't know about that. Top guys in that position sometimes break the grip in order to throw a punch to the head or two. It seems like a perfect opportunity to look for that switch.
I can’t imagine guys are going to throw their right hand when their left hip is past the bottom guy’s. I am not sure switching through a punch is the best option. But maybe I got it wrong.

Again unless the top guy is a moron. In this clip did GSP try to do a single thing about it. I got to imagine this was super late in the fight when he was exhausted.

GSP tried to kick his hips out, just Condit had a firm grip on his leg. DP tried the same thing, but Khabib kicking back and up broke his grip.

L6psqsN.gif

8s87gAJ.gif

Fucking flawless..
Especially that first gif, defends the switch then takes his back.
IMO In murica it would have been different. Heat fucked Poirer, looked sluggish after 1 round.

IDK maybe not.........never know

GSP tried to kick his hips out, just Condit had a firm grip on his leg. DP tried the same thing, but Khabib kicking back and up broke his grip.
When you say kick his hips out, do you mean both back like a sprawl or did he try to go left leg over his hip? Honestly, either way, I don’t see him moving his hips in a meaningful way. But appreciate the discussion on technique.

Khabib handed him only his second loss in over 12 fights..
Just have a look at the killers row Dustin had to go through to receive a title shot.

This is a weird way of describing it. Four fights ago, he had a no contest because Alvarez rocked him, in the course of putting him away landed an illegal blow. His last fight was against a featherweight - albeit a great featherweight - someone who has literally never fought in the division before.

JG was coming off a KO loss.

Pettis is a career spiral, which continues.

That is not remotely a killers row. Before that of course, MJ knocked him out dead in the first round.

Dustin is a fine fighter but he's not the best, and nobody took him seriously as a contender.

Guy I don't need an explanation, I've been grappling since grade school.

Merely posting another switch from a different fight with a similar setup.

I wrestled from 3rd grade through college. Generally it is common sense to wrestlers what you posted as a response (in the context of which you posted it) was not a reasonable comparison.

Since you didn't appear to understand, I typed it out for you. Either way, cheers mate.

Yeah I understand the difference, just in vernacular some people use 'grapevine' for any leg entanglement.

Khabib truly does wrestle with his whole body, and does it simultaneously. It's great to watch.
*Double yellow like*

I agree with Khabib using his whole body. Imo he's the best grappler in MMA history. Truly on a whole oyher level.

One technique that Khabib uses often and that always impresses me is how he wraps his legs around his opponents legs. He basically renders them helpless.

giphy.gif

That is impressive, however as far as the switch defense, the cage saved him, or Dustin would have gotten top position. Khabib is definitely a master of using the cage, he's lucky he wasn't a Pride fighter.

How the hell are you going to get that switch from that position, if all Khabib needs to do is just to keep bearhugging, basing out, and get porriers shoulder back to the mat?
He didn't attempt to break the grip, so unless Khabib is tired - which is never - he will not be balanced enough to get something going like his left knee on the ground, or the overhook (which is tried).

I wrestled from 3rd grade through college. Generally it is common sense to wrestlers what you posted as a response (in the context of which you posted it) was not a reasonable comparison.

Since you didn't appear to understand, I typed it out for you. Either way, cheers mate.
NCAA or a smaller school?

L6psqsN.gif

8s87gAJ.gif

Fucking flawless..
Especially that first gif, defends the switch then takes his back.
this is like first year wrestling though, there's a reason almost nobody hits switches in the NCAA tournament. Even more so in MMA where you can lock hands.

This is a weird way of describing it. Four fights ago, he had a no contest because Alvarez rocked him, in the course of putting him away landed an illegal blow. His last fight was against a featherweight - albeit a great featherweight - someone who has literally never fought in the division before.
JG was coming off a KO loss.
Pettis is a career spiral, which continues.
That is not remotely a killers row. Before that of course, MJ knocked him out dead in the first round.
Dustin is a fine fighter but he's not the best, and nobody took him seriously as a contender.

This.

I said long, before the fight happened, that Poirier is B-level. I also said his stamina sucked. People laughed at this idea, but Poirier visibly wilts under pressure. His facial expression, his frustration, his sense of desperation. He is an open book and not serious, A-level fighter.

What Poirier himself needs to comprehend is that he is "just a fighter," and not true World Champion material.

Khabib is Champion material. Poirier is just another contender.

Dustin is not that great of a grappler and he is far overrated on here. He had nothing for Khabib.

This.

I said long, before the fight happened, that Poirier is B-level. I also said his stamina sucked. People laughed at this idea, but Poirier visibly wilts under pressure. His facial expression, his frustration, his sense of desperation. He is an open book and not serious, A-level fighter.

What Poirier himself needs to comprehend is that he is "just a fighter," and not true World Champion material.

Disagree. Dustin is a top contender. Against anyone else at LW he'd have a real shot. Khabib is just technically and stylistically too high of a mounted for anyone.

Do not mistake Khabib's dominance for lack of skill on Dustin's part. He is a top their fighter and doesn't get enough respect.

that's sam crazy sambo shit. Habib is on another level.

I was really impressed seeing it life.

May be that's just me but I've never seen this technic before in MMA.
It looked a thing of beauty for me.

This.

Poirer is a competent top 10 fighter, and he's "good" at everything. He isn't great in any one area however, and thats fine. He has 5 UFC losses with a very respectable strength of schedule.

On a good night he can compete with the elite and he is a solidly top 10 guy. Nothing to be ashamed of.

There was nothing to suggest he could compete with Khabib, it was one of the easier style matchups for him.

Back