Media Khabib coach Javier Mendez reacting to MJ guillotine attempt on Khabib

That’s telling. Also I’m sure his guillotine defense is likely a thing of legend at AKA, so they love when opponents try it as they know it will end in Khabib with top control. I bet Poirer wishes he saw this video ahead of his fight because he gave up the takedown at least twice in his fight with Khabib looking for that guillotine.

That’s telling. Also I’m sure his guillotine defense is likely a thing of legend at AKA, so they love when opponents try it as they know it will end in Khabib with top control. I bet Poirer wishes he saw this video ahead of his fight because he gave up the takedown at least twice in his fight with Khabib looking for that guillotine.
He said when khabibs dad and him saw the guillotine, they weren't worried in the slightest and it showed on their faces lol.

They were calm as fuck

It seems to be kind of a ”go to” thing for Poirier. I’m not sure if he could’ve fought those takedowns off in some other way, but he was going down one way or the other.

That guillotine attempt was also the best thing he had in that fight. People were excited about the flurry moments before but it seems pretty much none of those punches hit Khabib..

Two sides in a coin, both have Khabib winning

<Goldie11>

Dustin was panicking in there. No video could have prevented it.

mj the ultimate underachiever.almost koed and sub the lw goat
He didn't almost anything... Dustin tried the same thing...
Watch teh video and hear/read what they are saying "nah man, you're gonna try that with him? that's stupid. you see"

Half a page into this thread and none of the comments paid attention.

reminds of when GSP used to give people his arm while in their guard and used their armbar attempt to help him pass.

He said when khabibs dad and him saw the guillotine, they weren't worried in the slightest and it showed on their faces lol.

They were calm as fuck
That guillotine was close though, Khabib struggled a bit with it and had to readjust the angle a few times before he could get out of it. He got out when Dustin tried to change grips after failing to get his leg over but couldn't get a solid grip and Khabib flattened himself out and turned to his side which got him out of it. That was close though and they might not have realized it at that moment while they were watching.

That guillotine was close though, Khabib struggled a bit with it and had to readjust the angle a few times before he could get out of it. He got out when Dustin tried to change grips after failing to get his leg over but couldn't get a solid grip and Khabib flattened himself out and turned to his side which got him out of it. That was close though and they might not have realized it at that moment while they were watching.
Dustin fails that closed gaurd guiliotine almsot every fight... I wouldn't be too worriedd either...

Dustin fails that closed gaurd guiliotine almsot every fight... I wouldn't be too worriedd either...
Couldn't agree more.
Khabib had his hips free the entire duration.
Sure it was a nice try and served to hold Khabib from improving position for like 20 seconds. But that's it. It was never close to being an actual submission. Both parties Independently acknowledged this post-fight.
Also it Immediately led to Dustin's loss as it was a 100% effort from him and just another sequence for khabib

No way, it wasn't close at all. It was position defence more than a legit threat and look how it ended up

Guillotine my ass.

Look at Khabib pull MJ's right leg. No one fucking noticed?

The guillotine was out of desperation when he realized that he was going down anyway.

The Dustin one was close though and I don't care what anyone says, including Dustin himself, he's a good guy so he's not going to say 'i almost had it', but common sense is enough to see that guillotine was on tight and Khabib had to work to get out of it, someone like Kevin Lee or Conor would have tapped to that one, the Michael Johnson one he must have known he was about to get grounded so just went for it

reminds of when GSP used to give people his arm while in their guard and used their armbar attempt to help him pass.

I always used to do that in judo and bjj with triangles. Doesn't work on competent ground fighters though . Lol.

Who else really likes coach Mendes?

Maybe I am speaking out of my ass here but he always looked very invested emotionally in Khabib's career and fights. He also seemed to really respect Abdulmanap.

If I am not mistaken, in his post fight speech, Khabib gave Mendes his due and said something like "coach Mendes I love you so much". Brought the feels, man.

Coach Mendes bless.
Abdulmanap bless.
Khabib bless.

Back