Media Khabib and co. in new interview for ufc Russia

@shoorik1987 to the rescue

Edit : This is more like "Day in the life" documentary than actual interview.

Last edited:
They were going over their bathing routine like how they go about sharing the soap bar in such a small space among so many guys.
They prefer to not use soap on a rope.

Khabib also mentioned he does a lot of the shopping for his family at Bed Bath and Beyond

I'll do this one quickly, cliffs with me paraphrasing.

So the title of the clip is: "Motherland of champions: Here victory is born. "

Khabib:

- Khabib talks that he always train to feel good, otherwise he gets depressed. Was same with father.
- When father traveled somewhere, first thing he did was arrange a place to sleep, second he looked for a gym to train. Khabib has that habit from his father.
- It's important for a professional athlete to always work on your craft and keep developing.

(video of sparring)

- father was a director of sovkhoz (soviet state collective agricultural company, google it). He has university education as an accountant. He studied in University of Poltava (today Ukraine). He did good at school and was a smart man.
- Father was more than merely a trainer.
- He opened a training gym in his home where kids from the village went to train.
- family moved to Makhachkala when Khabib was 13 years old, but still don't forget the roots and regularly return to home village Kirov-aul.

Umar:

- Abdulmanap opened the gym in home village after he got home from the army. It was a sporting athletic boom in the village and he inspired alot of people to start training.
- Umar introduces his grandmother Patimat. She know village history and knows everything about how it all started.

Umar's grandma:
- Tells about how Abdulmanap sold his cattle to build the gym.
- Abdulmanap was a good honorable human being and was respected by everyone.
- He was always helping people around him.

Umar:
- Tells a story that grandmother is nervous watching his fights because he strikes. She thinks he should do like Khabib, take them down and beat them up instead of taking damage in stand up and making her nervous. Grandmother confirms :D.

Khabib:
- A lot of people in his home village train in their gym and there are not enough places.
- 3-4 kids competing for a spot in the gym. Coaches have to be tough and select the most talented kids.
- Gym has place for 70 people maximum, there are 200-300 people who want to train there.

4:15 footage from village gym.

Khabib:
- Many have potential but stats show that out of 70 people only 5-6, or 10 at best that achieve some decent results.
- Will and discipline most important.

Umar:

- The gym is full. They have 2 coaches in the village. They also have football/soccer section in the village and also a Muay Thai section.
- Elders say that the conditions that kids have now they couldn't dream about. They used to take hay and cover it with tentage and wrestle on it.

Khabib:

"When I started there were no social media like twitter and instagram. He remember in 2004 on combat sambo competition Fedor visited. He just won Pride and came to compete in the HW. They awarded some good prizes, cars and money. He and his brother were there. I knew who they were, but the broad masses didn't know about them. At that time I didn't know that 16 years later I would be the champion and that it would be so hard. Nobody knew. Now it's a lot easier to become popular with help of social media.

At one moment someone told me, you know you have so many subscribers, you can earn money from it. I didn't even think about it like that, but we adapted. I can earn decent money now from my social media accounts and I also use it to spread good message. Social media is a good tool if used correctly. But in the hand of uneducated and ill-mannered people it's dangerous.

You have to be careful, everything is recorded now and 40-50 years later it will all remain. "

(sparring footage)

Khabib:
-Every human being is created limited in his abilities. I became a champion but I may as well loose. There were champions before me and will be champions after me. I accept that my time is limited.
- I had many injuries before and I had thoughts about leaving the sport. I had surgeries after surgeries. While my opponents were improving I was recovering.

(Khabib fights footage)

- But time showed that I didn't loose the skills, but became even better. If you compare my fights before and after injuries, I became even more dominating. I started finishing more fights and improved in all aspects.

(sparring footage)

(Umar going around in the car and showing off his village).

The end of part 1

Last edited:
Maybe he should fight instead of doing 50 interviews but only 1 fight a year.

Yes I know :D. I like jabbing at that wrestler dude, we've had a little back and forth for a time now. :p

Come on dude, Abdulmanap is the Godfather of Russian MMA. I just translate stuff on Sherdog forums.
you're the Godfather of Russian Sherdog. Same same

Thanks for the translation.

I'll do this one quickly, cliffs with me paraphrasing.

So the title of the clip is: "Motherland of champions: Here victory is born. "

Khabib:

- Khabib talks that he always train to feel good, otherwise he gets depressed. Was same with father.
- When father traveled somewhere, first thing he did was arrange a place to sleep, second he looked for a gym to train. Khabib has that habit from his father.
- It's important for a professional athlete to always work on your craft and keep developing.

(video of sparring)

- father was a director of sovkhoz (soviet state collective agricultural company, google it). He has university education as an accountant. He studied in University of Poltava (today Ukraine). He did good at school and was a smart man.
- Father was more than merely a trainer.
- He opened a training gym in his home where kids from the village went to train.
- family moved to Makhachkala when Khabib was 13 years old, but still don't forget the roots and regularly return to home village Kirov-aul.

Umar:

- Abdulmanap opened the gym in home village after he got home from the army. It was a sporting athletic boom in the village and he inspired alot of people to start training.
- Umar introduces his grandmother Patimat. She know village history and knows everything about how it all started.

Umar's grandma:
- Tells about how Abdulmanap sold his cattle to build the gym.
- Abdulmanap was a good honorable human being and was respected by everyone.
- He was always helping people around him.

Umar:
- Tells a story that grandmother is nervous watching his fights because he strikes. She thinks he should do like Khabib, take them down and beat them up instead of taking damage in stand up and making her nervous. Grandmother confirms :D.

Khabib:
- A lot of people in his home village train in their gym and there are not enough places.
- 3-4 kids competing for a spot in the gym. Coaches have to be tough and select the most talented kids.
- Gym has place for 70 people maximum, there are 200-300 people who want to train there.

4:15 footage from village gym.

Khabib:
- Many have potential but stats show that out of 70 people only 5-6, or 10 at best that achieve some decent results.
- Will and discipline most important.

Umar:

- The gym is full. They have 2 coaches in the village. They also have football/soccer section in the village and also a Muay Thai section.
- Elders say that the conditions that kids have now they couldn't dream about. They used to take hay and cover it with tentage and wrestle on it.

Khabib:

"When I started there were no social media like twitter and instagram. He remember in 2004 on combat sambo competition Fedor visited. He just won Pride and came to compete in the HW. They awarded some good prizes, cars and money. He and his brother were there. I knew who they were, but the broad masses didn't know about them. At that time I didn't know that 16 years later I would be the champion and that it would be so hard. Nobody knew. Now it's a lot easier to become popular with help of social media.

At one moment someone told me, you know you have so many subscribers, you can earn money from it. I didn't even think about it like that, but we adapted. I can earn decent money now from my social media accounts and I also use it to spread good message. Social media is a good tool if used correctly. But in the hand of uneducated and ill-mannered people it's dangerous.

You have to be careful, everything is recorded now and 40-50 years later it will all remain. "

(sparring footage)

Khabib:
-Every human being is created limited in his abilities. I became a champion but I may as well loose. There were champions before me and will be champions after me. I accept that my time is limited.
- I had many injuries before and I had thoughts about leaving the sport. I had surgeries after surgeries. While my opponents were improving I was recovering.

(Khabib fights footage)

- But time showed that I didn't loose the skills, but became even better. If you compare my fights before and after injuries, I became even more dominating. I started finishing more fights and improved in all aspects.

(sparring footage)

(Umar going around in the car and showing off his village).

The end of part 1

Interesting stuff as always from Khabib and thank you once again for taking the time to translate!

Back