Khabib’s wrestling vs Gregor Gillespie’s wrestling...

Proven against who though? Khabib looks dominant when he's wrestling guys who come to strike like Barboza, Al and Johnson. Tibau stuffed his takedowns though, and I remember he had trouble with Kamal Shalarous (though he is an olympian I think).

It's going to be interesting when Khabib fights a wrestler. I think someone like Lee or Gregor would outgrapple him.

Idk about Lee but definitely Gregor

I guess that's why no NCAA champs ever do well in the Olympics. Someone needs to tell Daniel Cormier.

Cormier reached the fourth place after losing to a Russian that won the gold. Not hating on Cormier at all, but that's exactly Hitto's point.

NCAA is jokes compared to wrestling in the bloc countries
Cormier reached the fourth place after losing to a Russian that won the gold. Not hating on Cormier at all, but that's exactly Hitto's point.
The Eastern Bloc guys spend their whole lives training one style of wrestling while the Americans are doing folkstyle for most of their lives and learn freestyle only after college, and are still competitive with Russians although not as good.

There's a reason why NCAA wrestlers do far better in MMA than European freestyle/greco guys. Folkstyle wrestling is a better base for MMA because it requires more skills in controlling your opponent from the top position and holding them down. Look at Yoel Romero for instance, he got outwrestled easily by D2 wrestler Brunson before he won the fight with his striking.

The Eastern Bloc guys spend their whole lives training one style of wrestling while the Americans are doing folkstyle for most of their lives and learn freestyle only after college, and are still competitive with Russians although not as good.

There's a reason why NCAA wrestlers do far better in MMA than European freestyle/greco guys. Folkstyle wrestling is a better base for MMA because it requires more skills in controlling your opponent from the top position and holding them down. Look at Yoel Romero for instance, he got outwrestled easily by D2 wrestler Brunson before he won the fight with his striking.

Never thought of it like that. Good point.

I'm glad someone's talking about this guy. He's legit af, and under most peoples radar.

He may very well be championship caliber right now, no changes. That said, I really think if he went to a better more reputable camp he'd improve by leaps and bounds.

Last edited:
I want to see them fight eachother in the future.

Pedigree is meaningless when the other guy wrestled bears as a youth.

I think Gregor. I personally think Gregor would beat Khabib due to the power he has and he's always improving his standup game. I don't think Khabib has improved much in that regard.

I hope they fight in the future.

I think Gregor. I personally think Gregor would beat Khabib due to the power he has and he's always improving his standup game. I don't think Khabib has improved much in that regard.

I hope they fight in the future.

I just really can’t see Khabib taking him down. the striking aspect of the fight might end up being the more interesting part.

That guy isn't just any Russian ;) it is Khadzhimurat Gatsalov, one of the greats of this era.

I think Khabib would beat him right now, but I have no doubt that Gillespie's wrestling is better. Khabib has nice grappling credentials, but only wrestled at a cadet level (up to 16/18 (I forgot exactly)), while Gillespie had good success as a junior (up to 21) and was an NCAA champion.

Khabib may not have the shot that traditional college wreslters have (Gillespie, Ruth, Mendes, Faber, etc), but as far as his riding and ground techniques go, his folkstyle is pretty excellent imo.

I would like to see Gillespie vs Lee, to see Lee get beaten up by someone who can actually wrestle. I also want Ruth, Davis and Caldwell to make it into the ufc...

Idk about Lee but definitely Gregor

Lee's pretty damn good, man. Compare Lee and Khabib's fights against Barboza. They both came in with the same plan. Barboza fought Khabib first so he had more time to prepare for the same gameplan the second time around.

In the end, Lee smashed Barboza a hell of a lot worse than Khabib did. Lee was raining down vicious GNP from mount almost every round.

Lee's pretty damn good, man. Compare Lee and Khabib's fights against Barboza. They both came in with the same plan. Barboza fought Khabib first so he had more time to prepare for the same gameplan the second time around.

In the end, Lee smashed Barboza a hell of a lot worse than Khabib did. Lee was raining down vicious GNP from mount almost every round.

You make a good argument but what are Lee’s wrestling credentials? I wanna say I looked them up before but couldn’t find them.

Hoping Askren and Ruth make it into the UFC. Next level of folkstyle wrestling.

Gregor is pretty damn good too. He needs to face top 5 competition already.

Hoping Askren and Ruth make it into the UFC. Next level of folkstyle wrestling.

Gregor is pretty damn good too. He needs to face top 5 competition already.
There’s also Lance Palmer and Darrion Caldwell.

Gregor definitely needs a step up. UFC LW division is so deep with talent right now.

You make a good argument but what are Lee’s wrestling credentials? I wanna say I looked them up before but couldn’t find them.

Credentials don't matter that much, only what happens in the cage. We've seen Lee take people down at will and work them over. He mauled Barboza and even though he lost, Ferg wasn't stopping any of those takedowns.

Khabib vs Lee would be so good, but I honestly don't see any area Khabib is better than Lee in.

Credentials don't matter that much, only what happens in the cage. We've seen Lee take people down at will and work them over. He mauled Barboza and even though he lost, Ferg wasn't stopping any of those takedowns.

Khabib vs Lee would be so good, but I honestly don't see any area Khabib is better than Lee in.
Which is why Lee has been calling out Khabib for years now. To Lee's credit he was calling out Khabib when others were too scared to even mention his name.

Which is why Lee has been calling out Khabib for years now. To Lee's credit he was calling out Khabib when others were too scared to even mention his name.

That's a nightmare match up for Khabib. It would be Tibau fight bout all over again.

It’s not that I’m taking credentials too seriously. I just don’t know what Lee’s background is in wrestling. High school state champ? NCAA all American? I couldn’t find anything last I checked. All I know is he’s a talented fighter who can wrestle.

Back