KGB - Physical Culture-branch. A 2013 DL&Overhead-log.

5/3/1 Full Body is high on my list of potential Programs. I ran it for most of the Squatr Bowl and put something like 22kg on my Front and Back Squats. Not sure if it would give me the same results for my Deathlift, but I am considering it.

My grip with my right hand is pretty fucked up right now, which may effect my choice; Inverted Juggernaut uses very light weights at the start, which may be all I can Pull for a week or so until my thumb is fully healed. :mad:

I always made the best progress on deadlifts when squatting 3x a week. Strangely, it didn't do a lot for my squat.
Why not just a deload week until next week? One week isn't probably going to make much of a difference.

I always made the best progress on deadlifts when squatting 3x a week. Strangely, it didn't do a lot for my squat.
Why not just a deload week until next week? One week isn't probably going to make much of a difference.

Good points. Thanks.

July 1st, but I think it should be extended to July 20th, since this would be the actual 40th anniversary of Lee's death.:cool:

I agree since that is also my birthday and I know I'm good for a PR pull on my birthday.

July 1st, but I think it should be extended to July 20th, since this would be the actual 40th anniversary of Lee's death.:cool:

Oh. If it's ending in July, I might aim for 210kg, if I might dare. 200kg should come in a couple months.

Squats felt amazing.

Squats:
Warm ups
315x3
335x2
370x1 +5LB This is officially a 2xBW squat.

I did what I had to do for smolov.. It felt way to easy so I went up and boom hit a PR. Not much but I'm just glad that I can hit 365+ again.

Uhh that's about it.

Squats felt amazing.

Squats:
Warm ups
315x3
335x2

I did what I had to do for smolov.. It felt way to easy so I went up and boom hit a PR. Not much but I'm just glad that I can hit 365+ again.

Uhh that's about it.

Congratulations, good work!

Squats felt amazing.

Squats:
Warm ups
315x3
335x2

Uhh that's about it.

Congrats on the 2XBW Squat. That's a real milestone for any Lifter.:cool:

A little intel on my cycle: If I don't fuck up my linear progression and everything runs perfectly I will be squatting 110 for 3x5 by my birthday in mid-February and SGDLing 150 for five reps. That of course is, if I can add 10kg to my DL twice every week.
My schedule will be:
Monday: Olympic lifting, focus on jerk. Some assistance
Tuesday: Squat, Press, SGDL.
Wednesday: Olympic lifting, focus on snatch. Assistance
Thursday: Squat, Bench Press, SGDL
Friday: Olympic lifting, focus on clean. Assistance.

Thanks Milkman and KT.

Real glad about it, I would have got a video but I told my friend not to record it because I wasn't going to make it.....

5/3/1 - Cycle 4, Week 2, Day 2 - Deadlift

Few minutes heavybag work to warm up.

Warmup
60kg x 5
80kg x 5
100kg x 3

5/3/1
120kg x 3
135kg x 3
155kg x 3 + 3 = 6 reps

Few rounds heavybag work afterwards

Squat
45x5
95x5
135x5
185x4
225x2x2

Deadlift
135x3
185x3
225x3
275x2
315x1
365x1
395x1
415x3

Row
250x5x4
225x5x2

Bench Press
245*5
245*5
245*5
245*5
245*5

Kroc Rows
120*20
120*15
120*10

SOHP Little bit of pain in left shoulder during bench so went pretty light on these.
95*10
95*10
95*10
95*10
95*10

Reverse Flies
Shoulder was hurting so did some of these real light.

Bench Press
185*10
185*10
185*10
185*10
185*10

muscle snatch
40x4,4,4

clean
40x3
50x3
55x3

press+BTN press

30x4+4,4+4,4+4

-Hilariously sore, everything was a little off. After that I went to a local bar and got my way with the whisky-menu.

OK, after last week's false start, I'll be back to training tomorrow. As I said, I'm having a little trouble deciding which program to follow, but I've managed to narrow it down to four choices...

1)5/3/1 Triumvirate: one 5/3/1 Lift and two Assistance Exercises(of which one will be taken from the Simplest Strength Template).

Pros: Short, intense workouts. Relatively easy to recover from.
Cons: Relatively slow progression.

2)5/3/1 with Boring But Big.

Pros: I've made good gains with BBB in the past. All things being equal, a bigger muscle is a stronger muscle. Training efficiency: you are doing your main Lift and main Assistance with the same Bar and in the same location.

Cons: Can take longer to recover from, especially Squatting BBB.

3)Full Body Template with Simplest Strength Assistance...or as I prefer to call it, my F(S)B Template...:icon_twis

Pros: lots of volume. I would be Squatting three times per week and Deadlifting twice per week. Faster progression.

Cons: Harder to recover from, especially when doing Martial Arts as well as Lifting.

4)Juggernaut(Inverted).

Pros: a proven system that has produced good results for a lot of athletes. And of course if I choose this program,I will develop Super-Powers...:icon_chee

Cons: Slower progression than 5/3/1. Volume can be hard on the joints.

Last edited:
OK, after last week's false start, I'll be back to training tomorrow. As I said, I'm having a little trouble deciding which program to follow, but I've managed to narrow it down to four choices...

I vote option 2 or 3.

I kind of want you to do option 3 because I'm not familiar with that program so I'm interested to see.

KT, I would do full body template. I think I would only deadlift once per week as opposed to twice, though. You could mix up your assistance if you are going the traditional route, bbb for squats and triumvirate for other lifts, for example.

BBB does not necessarily require 5x10 at 45%-50% either. Volume and intensity can be manipulated to suit your goals or work around limitations (ie tendinitis).

Remember that the important part is the main lift, so don't overthink the assistance work. Somedays jack shit is the way to go, especially if you are putting focus on TMA stuff this year.

Good luck.

Back