Keysone pipeline leaks over 350,000 gallons of oil

Edit: Canadian tar sand has API @ 60 below 10. This type of oil is heavier than water.

It’s insane to transport this over an aquifer.

Last edited:
yeah, 47 in this one. took out the neighborhood pub and everything else in the vicinity
That's awful at least with spills the clean up an happen and things recover. You can't make up for killing dozens if people. This anti pipeline thing is so dumb it doesn't help and only harms the environment and people more

SZZXUGT33VD7LNXDXKYHHFLAOY

this in a province that has vowed to fight any pipeline across it tooth & nail

Damn man, when did this happen?

If they are admitting to 350,000 gallons it's very likely a lot more maybe in the millions. Scientists have warned since the beginning of the pipeline construction that little if any research was done on the transportation of the highly corrosive highly pressurized Canadian oil sand oil would have on the pipe. The builders of the pipeline made false claims about the safety of the delivery spending millions on internet advertising how they would hire 1,000's of workers who would inspect the pipeline and insure that things like this would never happen. Everyone knew this was BS they where not going to hire tons of people to inspect the pipeline. So as my man Nate would say I'm not surprised MFers. See above.

How is it corrosive? I could see it being abrasive but I’ve never heard of anything in oil being corrosive beyond normal standards.

Then build the gotdam pipeline better with better safety features and when something does happen don't let the companies off the hook for the clean-up and fine those mofos.
Hold them responsible. I've said it before. If they were legally obligated to clan up, they would. Since they aren't, they don't. I said it several times in this thread. Responsibility is key here

If they are admitting to 350,000 gallons it's very likely a lot more maybe in the millions. Scientists have warned since the beginning of the pipeline construction that little if any research was done on the transportation of the highly corrosive highly pressurized Canadian oil sand oil would have on the pipe. The builders of the pipeline made false claims about the safety of the delivery spending millions on internet advertising how they would hire 1,000's of workers who would inspect the pipeline and insure that things like this would never happen. Everyone knew this was BS they where not going to hire tons of people to inspect the pipeline. So as my man Nate would say I'm not surprised MFers. See above.

So ship it by RAIL and kill people?

It's hard to hold these monstrous corporations responsible when they make the rules. That is how our gov't is set up. I suppose that is another subject though.
Youre right it is. They don't worry about losing as they always get helped out, yet still retro their equity. No punishment is definitely a blight in our democracy

Yeah Tulsi is a Russian operative as she wants to end US dependency on oil.
?? US is already energy independent and we don't need foreign oil. It's the liberal democrats that want to ban fracking and make us dependent on Russia and the ME again. The libs will have us fighting endless forever wars for big oil until the end of time.

?? US is already energy independent and we don't need foreign oil. It's the liberal democrats that want to ban fracking and make us dependent on Russia and the ME again. The libs will have us fighting endless forever wars for big oil until the end of time.

The battery electric vehicle revolution is here. Oil for personal transport will be dead in 20 years. The ME is fucked.

The battery electric vehicle revolution is here. Oil for personal transport will be dead in 20 years. The ME is fucked.
While Europeans are guessing on theortical technology whilest sucking the ME and Russia's big fat dick.. America is already energy independent on our current technologies and policies now for the next 100 years

Your alternative solution would be what?
Oil will always be needed and yes, pipelines are the safest method of transport we have. I'm not denying that.
What I'm against is pipelines like the Keystone that transports foreign oil that's getting sold overseas.

For those that don't know how tar sand oil, what's in this pipeline that leaked, is produced it is mined like coal. They load it up and haul it to an extraction site. Then it's piped to refineries. It can be done the conventional way if it's deep, but most is done via the strip mining method.
shell-jackpine-tar-sands-mine-2014_credit-Julia-Kilpatrick_Pembina-Institute_creative-commons.jpg

tar_sands.jpg

Last edited:
If they say 350,000 its probably 600,000+

the Keystone Pipeline should be one of the New Wonders Of The World.

You anti oil people know your electric batteries cause more pollution in their creation and eventual destruction than oil right?

You wont listen or google it. Just keep your head in the sand peasants.

Their was more damage to the land than officially thought.

A crude oil spill from the Keystone pipeline in eastern North Dakota has turned out to have affected almost 10 times the amount of land as first reported, a state regulator said Monday.
North Dakota environmental scientist Bill Suess said the leak reported on Oct. 29 is now estimated by state regulators to have affected about 209,100 square feet (19,426 square meters) of land near Edinburg. State regulators had said the leak affected about 22,500 square feet of land.
Calgary, Alberta-based TC Energy, formerly known as TransCanada, estimated its pipeline leaked an estimated 383,000 gallons of oil. Suess said that estimate has not changed.

The cause of the spill is still unknown. An affected portion of the pipe has been sent to a third-party laboratory for inspection, as required by federal regulators.
TC Energy said the pipeline returned to service on Nov. 10 after approval of a repair and restart plan by the U.S. Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration.
The company has not given an estimate on the land that was affected, Suess said. The initial estimate by state regulators was “a quick and dirty look at it,” he said. “We did have some surface expansion since then.”
The company reported late Sunday that it had recovered about 337,550 gallons of oil, along with 141,834 gallons of oily water, Suess said.
Cleanup crews and state regulators remained at the site on Monday. Some wetlands were affected, but not any sources of drinking water, he said.

TC Energy has said people were at the site working around the clock to clean up the spill. Suess said the cleanup work was cut to daylight hours on Monday.
The company has referred questions to its website but has not updated it in more than a week.

TC Energy has put up berms around the affected area and is excavating contaminated soil from the entire site, at depths of up to 6 feet, Suess said. The oily soil is being stockpiled and will be taken to a landfill in Sawyer, North Dakota, he said.

“We really don’t have any risk of anything spreading at this point,” he said.

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/st...cle_4cb88b22-1393-53ac-acf1-342818063bc5.html

383,000 gallons, yikes.
For reference, a semi truck gasoline tanker holds around 9,000 gallons.

Their was more damage to the land than officially thought.

A crude oil spill from the Keystone pipeline in eastern North Dakota has turned out to have affected almost 10 times the amount of land as first reported, a state regulator said Monday.
North Dakota environmental scientist Bill Suess said the leak reported on Oct. 29 is now estimated by state regulators to have affected about 209,100 square feet (19,426 square meters) of land near Edinburg. State regulators had said the leak affected about 22,500 square feet of land.
Calgary, Alberta-based TC Energy, formerly known as TransCanada, estimated its pipeline leaked an estimated 383,000 gallons of oil. Suess said that estimate has not changed.

The cause of the spill is still unknown. An affected portion of the pipe has been sent to a third-party laboratory for inspection, as required by federal regulators.
TC Energy said the pipeline returned to service on Nov. 10 after approval of a repair and restart plan by the U.S. Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration.
The company has not given an estimate on the land that was affected, Suess said. The initial estimate by state regulators was “a quick and dirty look at it,” he said. “We did have some surface expansion since then.”
The company reported late Sunday that it had recovered about 337,550 gallons of oil, along with 141,834 gallons of oily water, Suess said.
Cleanup crews and state regulators remained at the site on Monday. Some wetlands were affected, but not any sources of drinking water, he said.

TC Energy has said people were at the site working around the clock to clean up the spill. Suess said the cleanup work was cut to daylight hours on Monday.
The company has referred questions to its website but has not updated it in more than a week.

TC Energy has put up berms around the affected area and is excavating contaminated soil from the entire site, at depths of up to 6 feet, Suess said. The oily soil is being stockpiled and will be taken to a landfill in Sawyer, North Dakota, he said.

“We really don’t have any risk of anything spreading at this point,” he said.

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/st...cle_4cb88b22-1393-53ac-acf1-342818063bc5.html

Back