Keyboard Jockey Attempts Two AR-15 Builds

Centurion rail and Radian upper came today. Judt mocking up the noveske upper to make sure it clears the switchblock.

1T5Udwr.jpg

rT6ken6.jpg

48VK0Ul.jpg

NLhS7u0.jpg
I want that centurion arms sticker for my hard hat.

Nice equipment BTW...

Triarc handguard matches the SOLGW receiver perfectly
fgfMVjl.jpg

However it's 5oz heavier than listed on the website (I assume because it doesn't include the 3.7oz handguard and steel wedge system. It's 2oz lighter than a RIS2 so my sub 7lbs with scope is probably out.

Also dat gap....
4gHIPwu.jpg

I debated a centurion rail, didn't have a length I could use in a rail I liked. Radian stuff is so sexy though.

If you are actually going to put it on your hard hat I'll send it to you if you want.
Oh absolutely.....I don't post many pics here....always on mobile and not sure I even know how anymore. But I would figure out a way to send you a proof pic.
I tend to push my luck a bit at the power plant...when it comes to gun issues.

Oh absolutely.....I don't post many pics here....always on mobile and not sure I even know how anymore. But I would figure out a way to send you a proof pic.
I tend to push my luck a bit at the power plant...when it comes to gun issues.

Feel free to dm me an address you want me to send it to and I'll send it out this week.

Rainier barrels are sold out, debating trying a Wilson combat fluted barrel. Should be about where uIwant weight Wise and I assume should be accurate.

Rainier barrels are sold out, debating trying a Wilson combat fluted barrel. Should be about where uIwant weight Wise and I assume should be accurate.

How are their flutes? After cutting it down would the shoulder be fluted? Wonder if that would be an issue for any reason if so.

They aren't deep flutes. I wondered that also about at the shoulder.
Hard to find accurate mid to lightish weight .750 gas seat barrels with a 1:8 twist.

I'm still looking but the Wilson looks promising. They have a ranger profile that's 25oz in 16 inch and 1:8 twist and 750 gas block. Weird thing is the site says the 1:7 is 29oz and the 1:8 is 25. I'm sure it's an error but I don't know which weight is wrong.

Debated a 12.5, but that's a common barrel length and I'm weird about having stuff everyone else has.

They aren't deep flutes. I wondered that also about at the shoulder.
Hard to find accurate mid to lightish weight .750 gas seat barrels with a 1:8 twist.

I'm still looking but the Wilson looks promising. They have a ranger profile that's 25oz in 16 inch and 1:8 twist and 750 gas block. Weird thing is the site says the 1:7 is 29oz and the 1:8 is 25. I'm sure it's an error but I don't know which weight is wrong.

Debated a 12.5, but that's a common barrel length and I'm weird about having stuff everyone else has.

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/ar-15-ultralight-barrel-carbine-gas-chrome-lined/

14.5" mid length 24.8oz. Should be like 22 oz if you go to 13".

Funny part is this is likely what I'm going to run. I found it not long after I posted in here. Though I got criterion to post a date on when the new core series is being released and a list of lengths. Can't get them to tell me what the 13.9 barrel weighs though....

Yeah that barrel or Rainier was my first recommendation a few pages back. Criterion is the one I'd run with the specs you want.

Yeah that barrel or Rainier was my first recommendation a few pages back. Criterion is the one I'd run with the specs you want.
Yeh I remembered you recommended them but I had ignored the ultralight by virtue of the name. It's not in fact ultra light it's perfect IMO. The adm profile is lighter still.

I'll wait to order it to see what the 13.9 core series specs are though.

Criterion advised against chopping chrome lined barrels. FML.

In there words "I would not recommend chopping a chrome lined barrel. The chrome lining has a tendency to chip."

Last edited:
Finally got motivated and looked at the bolt on the 6.8 build that's been problematic. First thing of note when removing the BCG was the charging handle not wanting to come loose. This must be what caused the problem I thought was the cam pin. Like a dummy I torqued it down (due to coming loose) and forgotten about it. Got an email in to Gibbz asking for proper torque.

Hopefully it's another tolerance/sizing issue like with the skull build. I just dremeled out more of the lip the CH latches onto with that one. I was much more aggressive so hopefully that's that. If not, there's plenty of room to go. Or maybe I stick a milspec CH on there, see if it stays put, and call it a day. But I can torque it down so it stays put, it's just a question of that potentially gouging out the receiver.

So since it was otherwise working, maybe it was just break-in. Here's the bolt after 250 rounds.

DhwxW4U.jpg

8VlYXHk.jpg

I thought part of why the handguard nut came loose might b the gun recoil producing some torque. The muzzle device appears vertical. I'll take a wrench out next time and use slow-mo video to tweak it. The thing was jumping to my left.

Finally got motivated and looked at the bolt on the 6.8 build that's been problematic. First thing of note when removing the BCG was the charging handle not wanting to come loose. This must be what caused the problem I thought was the cam pin. Like a dummy I torqued it down (due to coming loose) and forgotten about it. Got an email in to Gibbz asking for proper torque.

Hopefully it's another tolerance/sizing issue like with the skull build. I just dremeled out more of the lip the CH latches onto with that one. I was much more aggressive so hopefully that's that. If not, there's plenty of room to go. Or maybe I stick a milspec CH on there, see if it stays put, and call it a day. But I can torque it down so it stays put, it's just a question of that potentially gouging out the receiver.

So since it was otherwise working, maybe it was just break-in. Here's the bolt after 250 rounds.

DhwxW4U.jpg

8VlYXHk.jpg

I thought part of why the handguard nut came loose might b the gun recoil producing some torque. The muzzle device appears vertical. I'll take a wrench out next time and use slow-mo video to tweak it. The thing was jumping to my left.

Looks like something isn't quite on the square.
NeedyDeliriousAsianlion-size_restricted.gif

DhwxW4U.jpg

8VlYXHk.jpg

Is that wear/rust on the extractor and opposing side of the bolt?

Back of the lungs wear could be slightly excessive head space.

I'm not sure how the Gibbz thing works but is there any weird cam pin wear on the upper?

Not a bad option. D.wilson MFG and addco say there are no issues cutting chrome lined barrels.

I asked criterion a couple other questions and got this:

"Chrome is extremely hard and cutting it with tools, any tools could result in a minor chipping. It’s not guaranteed but any variation in the crown will greatly reduce accuracy potential.
Most people with a chopped chrome lined barrel probably wouldn’t know what to look for and wouldn’t know if it’s less accurate or not... our chrome lined barrels are capable of extreme accuracy... in fact we have national records that are set with our chrome lined barrels.
Personally I would be very hesitant to chop a chrome lined barrel. Can it be done? absolutely."

In the mean time I ordered a 2a lightweight forged lower, v7 A5 buffer tube, various lightweight small parts and a titanium muzzle device.

Debating trying to new ELF trigger.

Back