Keyboard Jockey Attempts Two AR-15 Builds

Forgot how ridiculous my 10.5 is to shoot indoors. I blew the overhead light cover off with the concussion from the vg6 lol.

iZ5bMbK.jpg

ifZ5l49.jpg

AR 10 bros, help me out; first 20 rounds through the gun an almost every one FTF with the BCG gouging the shit out of my brass.

iZ5bMbK.jpg

ifZ5l49.jpg

AR 10 bros, help me out; first 20 rounds through the gun an almost every one FTF with the BCG gouging the shit out of my brass.

Is it factory?

What mags?

Try taking the mag apart, cleaning and lubing the spring.

Is the mag seated 100%? Lock bcg back, insert mag and give it a good tap upwards.

Can you manually cycle rounds without issue?

Is it short stroking? Put 1 round in the mag, charge, shoot and see if the bcg locks back.

Check the bcg for issues/burrs. If you extend the bolt and place it on it's face does it support itself? If you close the bolt, grab the bcg and swing it downward with decent force does the bolt extend? Look around gas key for evidence of possible gas leaks.

Check the feed ramps for burrs or anything that that might be catching the bullet or case.

Everything nice and lubricated? Some AR's like to be wet.

The buffer and spring don't seem to have any issues or problems moving freely?

Last edited:
Is it factory?

What mags?

Try taking the mag apart, cleaning and lubing the spring.

Is the mag seated 100%? Lock bcg back, insert mag and give it a good tap upwards.

Can you manually cycle rounds without issue?

Is it short stroking? Put 1 round in the mag, charge, shoot and see if the bcg locks back.

Check the bcg for issues/burrs. If you extend the bolt and place it on it's face does it support itself? If you close the bolt, grab the bcg and swing it downward with decent force does the bolt extend? Look around gas key for evidence of possible gas leaks.

Check the feed ramps for burrs or anything that that might be catching the bullet or case.

Everything nice and lubricated? Some AR's like to be wet.

The buffer and spring don't seem to have any issues or problems moving freely?
I have a PMAG 10 (pinned to 5, because Canada); it does have trouble seating charged with the bolt forward and it has trouble locking back on empty.

That's my first and strongest suspicion, checked the gas block and tube and it seems fine, but I don't really know what to look for.

I have a PMAG 10 (pinned to 5, because Canada); it does have trouble seating charged with the bolt forward and it has trouble locking back on empty.

That's my first and strongest suspicion, checked the gas block and tube and it seems fine, but I don't really know what to look for.

Idk man it's difficult to tell without being there. So it's short stroking and mag has issues seating.

What ammo are you using?

tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_15_02_27_85a8b8ae4fe941a15594f996b71989b9.jpg

Is the gas block tight to the shoulder?
Can you see if there is carbon around it as if there was a seal issue?

Gas tube and the gas key on the bcg looks good and is tight?

17908073905_ba22be03ff_b.jpg

Is the mag catch screwed in flush with the mag release button?

LR-13_00.jpg

MAR119-2.jpg

How was it ejecting?

Try different mag & ammo first after checking some above things. Maybe even a different bcg and then buffer & spring if you know someone with another AR10.

iZ5bMbK.jpg

ifZ5l49.jpg

The marks on the brass, come from the bolt overriding the cases in the mag right? Not merely from going in or out of the chamber?

I bought a palmetto upper this year, had such a sloppy chamber that it leaked gas, failed to feed and split cases. In short, it was shoddy shit.

If you have a gas leak due to sloppy chamber, or gas block etc, i could see it behaving as you're experiencing.

?

Last edited:
Agree with all.

RTR and CH said everything I would suggest.

Did you build it yourself? If so I am betting the gas block turned ever so slightly not allowing enough gas. 2nd bet would spring/buffer combo.

Thanks for the replies W&T bros, sadly I won't be able to diagnose until after the New Year. Had a bit of a family "emergency" where I couldn't do what I wanted with the gun and verify on a range.

If you must know, it's a factory Stag-10 .308, 18.6" barrel for the Canadian market. I don't know if that means that Stag makes a Canadian barrel for it or the importer does a run of barrels. It's a rifle length tube and I doubt that extra 0.6" would have inherent negative effects. I'll check to see how well the gas block aligned.

I'll check back on this thread and try those things when I can, but I work until after Christmas then I'm off for a bit.

Thanks for the replies W&T bros, sadly I won't be able to diagnose until after the New Year. Had a bit of a family "emergency" where I couldn't do what I wanted with the gun and verify on a range.

If you must know, it's a factory Stag-10 .308, 18.6" barrel for the Canadian market. I don't know if that means that Stag makes a Canadian barrel for it or the importer does a run of barrels. It's a rifle length tube and I doubt that extra 0.6" would have inherent negative effects. I'll check to see how well the gas block aligned.

I'll check back on this thread and try those things when I can, but I work until after Christmas then I'm off for a bit.

Sorry, man. Best of luck.

As for the gun, it should work better than that out of the box. See that it's lubed. Try a new mag. Lighten the buffer/spring combo. After that, seems like maybe your gas port isn't lined up or the hole is just too small.

Agree with all.

RTR and CH said everything I would suggest.

Did you build it yourself? If so I am betting the gas block turned ever so slightly not allowing enough gas. 2nd bet would spring/buffer combo.

This is what I was going to say as well . . . gas block and spring/buffer.

yb3GHvk.jpg

JepcjPO.jpg

kOYSdmP.jpg

Waiting on the slr gas block. Will get it engraved and completed after new years.

Just a curious question.... anyone have experience going from a 5.56mm NATO chamber to .223 Wylde? Is it worth considering?

Just a curious question.... anyone have experience going from a 5.56mm NATO chamber to .223 Wylde? Is it worth considering?

I have several ARs chambered in both . . . can't complain.

Wylde is a "match" chamber. What is the purpose of the build? Anything precision that's what I'd go with. Actually unless you plan on running the gun hard, lots of rounds, minimal cleaning wylde is what I'd get. If the gun is a work horse as stated above I'd get a 5.56.

I wish companies would adopt Noveskes match chamber and basically eliminate 5.56 chamber.

John Noveske: ...And then, when we go to chambering, it’s a chambering process that I developed as an employee of Pac-Nor, and I looked at how they were chambering barrels, and I saw the logic in it, and I found ways to improve it. The reamers are all custom-made for me as far as the grind, the angles, the number of flutes. The way we chamber, you never get any scoring on the lands forward of the throat like most other people have to deal with, because our chips are forced out the back. The end result is a beautiful, highly polished chamber. Every barrel is individually inspected to ensure against or prevent reamer wear and have an undersized chamber. They all get gauged on every point, and the design of the chamber is a design I developed after many different evolutions. This was designed to work…to do full-auto mag dumps with [Black Hills] MK 262 Mod 1 [77gr Open-Tip Match (OTM) 5.56x45mm ammo], and now you can sit there and pour as much ammo as you can through the gun on full-auto, and the thing that’s gonna’ fail is the gas tube. We haven’t had any stuck chambers since I came up with the recent chamber, which is called the Noveske…the acronym, which we write on the barrel is "NMm0", and that stands for Noveske Match Mod 0. It’s a chamber that gives you 100% reliability with as much retained accuracy as possible. You can have a more accurate chamber design, but you sacrifice battle-grade reliability. You can get stuck cases and other things with different chambers.

Back