Keyboard Jockey Attempts Two AR-15 Builds

Awesome thanks.

I have a Rainier Arms ultramatch barrel and a BCM gas block. Glad this seems to happen.

Seen some guys suggesting throw the barrel in a freezer and then heat up the gas block both but that seems like a primo way to fuck up the barrel.

I use my oven. Barrel/upper fitment too tight, throw the upper in an oven for 5-15 minutes at 175-200ish.

Gas block same thing. I just toss it in the oven if it's too tight.

Yeah idk about the hot and cold thing. Temps probably aren't extreme enough to matter but it's not something I'm trying.

yeah, we see gas blocks that need to be put to the torch to heat them up, you mallet tap them into place, and as they cool, they contract tight unto the barrel. Normally only see that with like the primo stuff. about 200 degrees normally gets them on. And once they are on, they certainly dont ever leak.

Freezing the barrel won't hurt it in the slightest

Freezing the barrel won't hurt it in the slightest
probably not, but its easier to heat something to 200 degrees with a torch or oven, than to freeze a barrel in your average gun shop armory room.

Pic of the build, finally.

I got this upper from CBC. I'm a little worried about buying "budget", but it's performed great so far. I ordered an upper parts kit plus a blemished upper for about $70. Instead, in the box, I found the blemished upper PLUS another fully-assembled upper (ostensibly with the upper parts that I had actually paid for). Also got a muzzle washer and 1/2x28 thread protector. This is a California Featureless build.

I picked up some keymod 15" free float handguard; can't remember where from. Paid $20 ish
Barrel is an 18" 223 Wylde from Green Mountain. Specifically the M49. $210 I would've preferred a 20", but oh well.
I already had the assembly tools and chemicals, except for a 30mm wrench that I "borrowed" from Lowes.

So for right around $300, I feel like I did alright.

Here she is... and since I'm always yapping about 300 Blackout, here's my upper for that. The 300 Blackout is my home defense, and I keep it loaded with Lehigh 115gr controlled chaos.

The California specific parts are aforementioned muzzle-thread protector, the grip from Resurgent Arms, and the Stock Stop which fixes the stock. In this configuration, my AR is 100% California legal, even with the 40rd magazine I got during "Freedom Week". Everything else is basically Milspec, except the Rave 140 trigger.

featureless-AR.png

Last edited:
Pic of the build, finally.

I got this upper from CBC. I'm a little worried about buying "budget", but it's performed great so far. I ordered an upper parts kit plus a blemished upper for about $70. Instead, in the box, I found the blemished upper PLUS another fully-assembled upper (ostensibly with the upper parts that I had actually paid for). Also got a muzzle washer and 1/2x28 thread protector. This is a California Featureless build.

I picked up some keymod 15" free float handguard; can't remember where from. Paid $20 ish
Barrel is an 18" 223 Wylde from Green Mountain. Specifically the M49. $210 I would've preferred a 20", but oh well.
I already had the assembly tools and chemicals, except for a 30mm wrench that I "borrowed" from Lowes.

So for right around $300, I feel like I did alright.

Here she is... and since I'm always yapping about 300 Blackout, here's my upper for that. The 300 Blackout is my home defense, and I keep it loaded with Lehigh 115gr controlled chaos.

The California specific parts are aforementioned muzzle-thread protector, the grip from Resurgent Arms, and the Stock Stop which fixes the stock. In this configuration, my AR is 100% California legal, even with the 40rd magazine I got during "Freedom Week". Everything else is basically Milspec, except the Rave 140 trigger.

featureless-AR.png
How do you like your rave? I love mine, but its the only drop in trigger experience I have.

How do you like your rave? I love mine, but its the only drop in trigger experience I have.

Same here. I was happy enough with the mil-spec trigger and was more or less just curious how much better. Kinda like the guy happy with his $20 Jack Daniels who sees a $160 Johnny Walker Blue and wants to know how much more he gets for his 140.

The price was reasonable enough, and I can feel a difference, but truthfully I don't know if it's a $120 dollar difference. If I could do it over, now that I'm into polishing, I'd probably do that, add a reasonably reduced power hammer spring and call it done.

I have no idea what a Geissele, Timney, or other premium trigger feels like.

Last edited:
Not sure why my notifications stopped working for this thread . . . @modena1983 very nice build.

Where did you get your hodge stuff from? I'm looking to get the 11.5 S lock
Got lucky on drops, Sorry Didn't see your post and am not on every day. I caught two op tactical drops last year to get my rails. I traded one Slock for a pinch lock on the same length.

My other Hodge 12.5 build upper and handguard are at Roman arms for cerakote currently.

Got to shoot my 12.5 mod 2 build out to distance and managed to make just a couple hits at 700. 400-500 was not to big of deal, 600-700 were much harder obviously.

Got lucky on drops, Sorry Didn't see your post and am not on every day. I caught two op tactical drops last year to get my rails. I traded one Slock for a pinch lock on the same length.

My other Hodge 12.5 build upper and handguard are at Roman arms for cerakote currently.

Got to shoot my 12.5 mod 2 build out to distance and managed to make just a couple hits at 700. 400-500 was not to big of deal, 600-700 were much harder obviously.

Alright thanks. I'm on every wait list.

I saw builders sets (non ambi) drop and had the opportunity to buy but I was only interested in the rail. I should have just bought the set and sold the rest.

Alright thanks. I'm on every wait list.

I saw builders sets (non ambi) drop and had the opportunity to buy but I was only interested in the rail. I should have just bought the set and sold the rest.

Yeh if you have the opportunity to grab stuff do it. It's rare. I need a lower for this second build. Everything else I have. Roman arms finished my cerakote Friday on the upper and rail.

Back