Kevin Ross Seminar Feb. 12, 2016

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Centaur, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Centaur

Centaur Black Belt

I posted this in the Muay Thai/Kickboxing forum but since it's technique based maybe it's better here?

Anyhow, I had the opportunity to attend a Kevin Ross seminar this weekend. I had an excellent time and learned quite a bit, so I wrote up a Blog Post. Partly to share it but also so don't forget too much! Here's an excerpt from it.

Intro/Warm Up
    We started off with a Light Warm up of Shadow Boxing. Probably a good way to start so he can see the skill level of the people he'll be teaching. We spent maybe 4 or 5 minutes doing that then we got into some light drills. The whole seminar we had just gloves, no shinguards. We started off nice and slow making contact with every kick in a light way. We did the same thing with just teeps and then just knees. At least I think that was the order we did it in. I can't remember. My brain is kinda mushy right now from sleep deprivation. Anywho...each time we spent a few minutes doing just one strike back and forth. Then we spent a few minutes doing all three.

Technique:
    The overall theme for the night was kickboxing style combos with an emphasis on Body shots (liver punch, straight right, right hook etc.) and finishing with leg kicks. This was awesome because landing a good Liver shot is something I have been trying to really work on. He also had us doing a lot of "hand fighting" using our hands to grab, push or pull our opponent's hands/guard in order to set them up for the next strike.

If you want to read the rest you can check it out on my Blog.

Let me know if you have any questions about it!

2. MuayThaiDude

MuayThaiDude Yellow Belt

The hand fighting aspect is something I have been trying to get a handle on for awhile. There isn't really a name for it I can find. I have asked about it in the past. I think I referred to it as tying up hands or trapping. I will read the blog post. I think hand fighting or whatever it is called is a very valuable but overlooked aspect of MT.

3. MuayThaiDude

MuayThaiDude Yellow Belt

One quick question. Just read the whole blog post. You put "Jogging will help you get your gas tank bigger, but sprints will fill it up faster." I am taking that to mean that the more sprints you do the less quickly your gas tank will run out? I'm not trying to nitpick it's just that I have a real issue with gassing out. It's really the only thing that worries me, because it always happens at the worst times. Like, middle of round two. I'd rather have it happen at the beginning of round 4 in a three round fight ;)

4. Centaur

Centaur Black Belt

So the way I understood it was this. Jogging will help you have a bigger gas tank, but in order to fill that tank properly sprint and other high intensity training is needed. He said even if you're not doing sprints per se you should be doing punch out drills etc. on the bags.

From what I remember in the classes I took endurance stuff like jogging helps with mitochondrial development and stroke volume (how much blood is in each pump) and things like that. How quickly you recover from high intensity training has to do with how much oxygen is actually in the blood, and that will come quickest with sprinting. At least I think that's how it goes. I'll dig out my text book when I have some time and get back to you on it.

As for the hand fighting, that's something all the top guys I've trained with get into. I've had a Lumpini Champ, Duke Roufous and Kevin Ross all teach similar things to me in the last couple years. I just got to get better at actually doing it.

5. MuayThaiDude

MuayThaiDude Yellow Belt

Great man, thank you for the reply. Is there any way you can elaborate on hand fighting. What were some of the take aways he and others gave you?