Kevin Rooney, moving the head.

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by AXelator, Aug 8, 2010.

1. AXelator

AXelator Blue Belt

I mainly come form a kickboxing / thai boxing background but I've always enjoyed boxing. I was watching this video on M Tyson.

YouTube - ‪Mike Tyson Drills and Training‬‎

Rooney is saying in it about the importance of moving the head. Towards the end he will say he wants Tyson to move 2 times after a hook, 3 times after a straight. This confused me a bit. When throwing combinations such as jab, lead hook, straight would you finish by moving your head three times because you ended on a straight punch or would you jab, hook, move your head 2 times then throw your straight then move your head 3 times?

Also is it a god idea to complete the head movments the step off at an angle or move the head while changing the angle, or is that situational?

Thanks for replies.

2. XCuTioNeR

XCuTioNeR Mundo Hispano FECARBOX Champion

3. AXelator

AXelator Blue Belt

Ah thank you.

4. TheRatman

TheRatman Brown Belt

I made a thread yesterday about Floyd Patterson who looks just like Tyson when he moves his head.

Skip to the 2:18 mark and watch how he bob and weaves.

Head movement is a key to a great defense but when a fighter like tyson loses he ability to do it, then they become half the fighter their are.

A better style of head movement is Joe Frazier, a little bit more subtle. Tsyon's head movement is more bending at the waist and joe's is little dips in the legs and waist.

5. fighter01

fighter01 White Belt

i think thats what made tyson unique in many ways, he made it as difficult as possible for his opponents to hit him.

6. ninjaunicorn

ninjaunicorn Green Belt

Floyd moves his head like Tyson because he was also trained by Cus D'Amato the whole peek-a-boo style was unique to Cus.

7. MisterT

MisterT Brown Belt

It means that you have to throw the combination and then move your head.

Check this vid starting at 00:40 -

Tyson throws a jab, left hook to body, left hook to the head, AND THEN moves his head twice.

If you want to learn more about Tyson's style check out check out the following vids (in addition to the one I posted above). Pay special attention to the sparring/training sessions. They really highlight the mechanics of Tyson's style:

8. GordonBrown

GordonBrown Blue Belt

Another huge part was the way he throws his punches. Its not good moving your head and then throwing half baked girl hooks. Mike really put his bodyweight into each punch.

Imagine sparring against someone you can't hit and everytime you try he hits you.

9. mozfonky

mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

Tyson at his best was the best at the D'amato engineered "peek-a-boo" style but I thought the weaknesses were always, always that it was too formulaic and mechanical, you don't want something that your opponent can figure out like that. Joe Frazier had a rep as a pure brawler, Ali always maintained that Joe was the hardest thing in the world to hit in their first fight. Joe was a fantastic defensive fighter after a lot of training with futch and Yank. He mixed it all in seamlessly, bobbing, parrying, countering, I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it better. Anyway, it should be a mix between moving as a preemptory method and also reacting to what you see coming at you. Tyson didn't do that so well sometimes. "bob twice, weave once" etc.., is good but so is preparing reactions to what is really happening. A fighter like ali had eyes like a snake, didn't blink in the face of bombs and would pull back, turn his head, parry, clinch or whatever he had to do to avoid taking a shot. Benitez was the same, he called it his "radar" implying that there was nothing preplanned about his defense.

10. PaRRaDoXiCaL**

PaRRaDoXiCaL** White Belt

kevin is a great trainer

11. thelyricalmaste

thelyricalmaste Green Belt

I feel the same way. Tyson's head movement was very basic compared to Dwight Qawi or Roberto Duran; he relied upon incredible intensity and non stop movement. It's probably also why he had such a short prime. He was always in good shape by the average heavyweight standards, but you have to be in Marciano type condition to fight that explosively.

12. wang xiangzhai

wang xiangzhai Per possessĭo ad astra (2)

The most special thing about Frazier

13. thelyricalmaste

14. mozfonky

george did not need to hit joe with clean shots and didn't need to do anything but glance his bombs, once joe was in trouble, the warrior in him led straight to the slaughter.

15. mozfonky

also, don't forget, Joe and ali were never the same after the first fight. Yank Durham was said to have started Joe out after that fight as if he was starting all over again. In fact, Joe could have died after that fight.

16. NuTzOnSwOll

NuTzOnSwOll Purple Belt

:icon_lol:

Touche'

17. wang xiangzhai

wang xiangzhai Per possessĭo ad astra (2)

Just rewatched the fight and, no offense, but Foreman didnt time shit. He threw a million punches to the air and caught Joe

18. thelyricalmaste

Foreman didn't turn into Paul Williams. He set up Frazier with the jab, waited with a right uppercut, and finished with a left hook. He looked for that combination because Frazier's defense was much more predictable at a distance than close up.

19. thelyricalmaste

See my post above for my view on Foreman's strategy, but I agree with you about Frazier. It's sad to watch the first Frazier-Quarry fight right after watching the rematch. Both men had slowed down significantly.

20. TheRatman

TheRatman Brown Belt

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010