Kevin Randleman Saved My Life

On The Ropes

I had this thought that I should really just end my life.

I went onto Twitter, This is the end of the ropes. I can’t take life anymore. Goodbye.”

I was really going to do it. I went somewhere, found rope wherever my dad’s shed was.

I get a notification on Twitter. It was from Kevin Randleman.” I think it was a private message.

Hey, are you okay?” asked Kevin. What’s going on?”

I’m just about to kill myself.”

What’s your number?” he asked.

I gave it to him. A couple minutes later I get a call from a withheld number...

Hello, is this Marcus?”

It was Kevin and I broke the f—k down.

One minute you’re about to kick the chair out from under you, and the next second you’re talking to The Monster himself. He talked to me a lot about what happened in his childhood.

About 20 minutes goes by and I told him I want to make a change for myself.

You have to do something about it,” he said. I don’t want you to get off this phone and not do nothing about it. Do something about it.”

I thanked him and I went and got into counseling. I had never talked about when I was molested when I was younger. If Kevin hadn’t talked to me about it, I wouldn’t have faced that issue. Without Kevin Randleman calling me, I’d probably be dead.

-Marcus S., A Fighter’s Legacy

51dzhRMDQFL._SX425_.jpg
Wow good for both of you guys. He was a great guy

wow that is so awesome to hear!!!... big respect.

Kevin always came across as a very intense person, but I could tell he was a teddybear too..

I can't believe its been 4 years since he passed, It doesn't feel that long ago, it only feels like the last 18 months too me, time goes so fast. God rest his soul.

On The Ropes

I had this thought that I should really just end my life.

I went onto Twitter, This is the end of the ropes. I can’t take life anymore. Goodbye.”

I was really going to do it. I went somewhere, found rope wherever my dad’s shed was.

I get a notification on Twitter. It was from Kevin Randleman.” I think it was a private message.

Hey, are you okay?” asked Kevin. What’s going on?”

I’m just about to kill myself.”

What’s your number?” he asked.

I gave it to him. A couple minutes later I get a call from a withheld number...

Hello, is this Marcus?”

It was Kevin and I broke the f—k down.

One minute you’re about to kick the chair out from under you, and the next second you’re talking to The Monster himself. He talked to me a lot about what happened in his childhood.

About 20 minutes goes by and I told him I want to make a change for myself.

You have to do something about it,” he said. I don’t want you to get off this phone and not do nothing about it. Do something about it.”

I thanked him and I went and got into counseling. I had never talked about when I was molested when I was younger. If Kevin hadn’t talked to me about it, I wouldn’t have faced that issue. Without Kevin Randleman calling me, I’d probably be dead.

-Marcus S., A Fighter’s Legacy

51dzhRMDQFL._SX425_.jpg

what a great fuckin guy. Bought a tear to my eye.

That story sounds familiar. I feel like there was another post somewhere on the internet where the guy goes into more detail. The suicide, pm, 20 min phone call all sound familiar to me. The Monster was one of my favorites. Awesome dude, and I've heard a couple cool stories abt him

I just wrote a quick post not too long ago in Mayberry about the time I was fortunate enough to meet The Monster.

He was an amazing gentleman. A truly great man in the few moments I met him.
I know why he was nick named The Monster; but the Man’s Man Gentlemen would have sufficed too.

he was a great man.

Always one of my favorite fighters, dude's been thru hell in back in his life and never gave up. Absolute legend.

<RomeroSalute>

Nothing but admiration and respect for Kevin. He came from nothing, and accomplished great things. Also the friendship he had with Coleman was so genuine, I used to love seeing them kick it together.

I wish the end of his career turned out better, but it is what it is. He left a lasting impact on the sport, and in many peoples' hearts it seems.

Back