Kevin Lee Looking For Anthony Pettis Matchup @ UFC 229 in October

I like Lee but this is a pussy ass match up for him.

Im not sure how that relates to your claim of ducking wrestlers in his division. He said he'd become to worried with defending takedowns, he didn't say he didn't want to fight wrestlers @ lw. You're reaching hard. He literally just submitted a giant pressure wrestler. He went to fw because it was the quickest way back to a title shot at the time and he was a fight away from getting one. After his loss to Barboza it wouldve put him further down the line for a title a shot LW.

Bud, that's not reaching hard at all. You may not agree, that's fine. But when you acknowledge that he was worried about getting taken down and at the same time also drops down. Connecting those two is not what I would call reaching.

Yes, he has just defeated a giant, although thin as a skeleton wrestler who is also kind of a sloppy grappler like when he let his back get taken by Lee. But that is after he got back. I'm not saying he is avoiding them now. He was avoiding them when he was going to FW. I actually won a kit bet on Chiesa Pettis.
I haven't even called it ducking, that has only been you. I think there is a difference, but it's whatever. You seem emotionally vested in defending 'the honor' of Pettis. Fact is we can't know what the reason is for moving down, cus we can't read the man's mind. So acting like it's anything more than a difference in opinion is silly.

And yeah, a shorter route to a TS was a possibility at FW, but that does not rule out that there was also less of a wrestlefuck threat that might have motivated him to go down.

Seeing how Lee wants to make this fight and it sounded like Pettis wanted it too, from what Lee said on Ariel's show. But Pettis being someone they banked on with previous promotion and who finally had a quality and impressive win again, do they want to risk giving him to a very bad stylistic match up.

But the reverse is also true. Lee is working hard on marketing himself too and the UFC seems like they believe in him as a commodity, so either of them losing would not really be ideal in creating or maintaining new stars.

The more likely outcome, IMO, would be Lee winning which doesn't really do much for his stock rising and only drops Pettis back again.

The only real upside is that Lee would have a fight on the under or main card of 229 and be an alternate for the main event, and the fact that it would possibly be an entertaining fight, obviously.

What say you? Does the UFC risk it? Does it happen? Or does it not happen for another reason? Possible a better opponent for Lee?

There really isn't a good ''stylistic match-up'' for Pettis. They gave him a striker in Barboza and he got outclassed. They gave him a striker in Holloway and he got outclassed. If anything, Pettis does way better against primary grapplers and wrestlers (Bendo, Giblert, Oliveira and Chiesa). This is a great match-up for him.

Last edited:
i don't know what the UFC wants, but i want pettis to fight a few of people he can headkick, not another top contender he will likely lose to.

let him get some momentum, he's been having a rough time.

I dont know but someone has it in for Pettis.

This would be the least competitive fight between two top 10 guys in any weight division. Poor Pettis doesn't deserve this.

Lee should fight Nate Diaz if Nate wants to get on the McGregor card so badly

I hate Lee. With that said he would absolutely pressure and impose his will against Pettis. RDA and Alvarez had no issues. Lee would do the same exact except he’d dish more punishment, be more dominant and make it look easy.

I can’t see how Pettis is down for this fight. Bad matchup.

This would be the least competitive fight between two top 10 guys in any weight division. Poor Pettis doesn't deserve this.

Lee should fight Nate Diaz if Nate wants to get on the McGregor card so badly

I thought he didn't want to be on that card or has he since stated otherwise? Genuine question.

Personally I like:

Tony Ferguson vs James Vick
Kevin Lee vs Showtime Pettis
Alexander Hernandez vs Al Iaquinta

He was angry about something, probably wanted to be on that card if he was getting PPV points + more exposure

I think he was angry because the UFC doesn't show him any respect. First they deliberately drive him to the conference too late, to create some fake drame. The UFC also has repeatedly said they offered him fights and he didn't accept, while not telling he couldn't accept because he had legal issues to take care off and then when he finally was getting some recognition from the media and fans at the conference, they steal his thunder with the Conor - Khabib promo.

I don't think he asked for points. That's not a customary bargaining point for any fighter that isn't champ or Conor. Even with his second fight with Conor I think he just wanted a large set sum of money, not a percentage. He also already agreed to fight, so I doubt it was anything that concerned his contract/deal.

Kevin Lee should fight Colby Cringington loser gets cut. Both cringe Conor wannabes

I think he was angry because the UFC doesn't show him any respect. First they deliberately drive him to the conference too late, to create some fake drame. The UFC also has repeatedly said they offered him fights and he didn't accept, while not telling he couldn't accept because he had legal issues to take care off and then when he finally was getting some recognition from the media and fans at the conference, they steal his thunder with the Conor - Khabib promo.

I don't think he asked for points. That's not a customary bargaining point for any fighter that isn't champ or Conor. Even with his second fight with Conor I think he just wanted a large set sum of money, not a percentage. He also already agreed to fight, so I doubt it was anything that concerned his contract/deal.
I remember reading something somewhere that one or both of the Diaz bros are the only non-champs who get PPV points

Might've been Nick but yeah, it'd be a shame if Nate didn't get any PPV points for UFC 202, which broke the record.

I'd rather Pettis fight lesser competition than Lee and build a bit off his w over Chiesa

Lee should be fighting Iaquinta, Peahead or Ferguson.
Pettis Gaethje was the fight to make.

There really isn't a good ''stylistic match-up'' for Pettis. They gave him a striker in Barboza and he got outclassed. They gave him a striker in Holloway and he got outclassed. If anything, Pettis does way better against primary grapplers and wrestlers (Bendo, Giblert, Oliveira and Chiesa). This is a great match-up for him.
You know I agree.

He has submitted some high level people and can likely out strike lee on the feet, which would encourage lee to take it to the grappling realm.

Holloway fight was tough though because Pettis was clearly diminished. He looked like a shell of himself.

Barboza is weird because he’s better than Pettis at striking, he’s no where near as good on the ground but it doesn’t matter since Pettis couldn’t get him down. That’s as bad a matchup that exists for Pettis.

Back