Kevin Lee is hyped while Al Iaquinta is mocked?

Its a good mix of astroturfing and useful idiots.

It's because AI is not able to move like Lee

giphy.gif
Only Brock has those moves beat

If anything, Al Iaquinta has been elevated since fighting Khabib. Now seen as a great wrestler with excellent sub defense. As opposed to a decent flat footed boxer, with some wrestling skills and a bit of power. Lee has improved his mma wrestling, getting much better at reactive takedowns. His boxing has improved a bit, but he is still there to be hit.(He plants and throws). Lee's biggest problem is his chin. Lee has a better chance against Khabib than Al. Khabib can be taken down(Tibau and Trujillo) and I don't believe his bottom game is quite the offensive juggernaut people make it out to be. Most of his bottom subs came off mounted triangle/armbars where Khabib went to his back to finish. His armbars aren't that great, very loose and usually switched to his better triangle for the finish. We've only seen his bottom game - in the ufc - against Trujillo, who has no jujitsu game. Lee isn't the greatest at sub defense. Would be interesting to see if Lee can maintain top control on Khabib.

And I'm saying that the complete opposite could be the case

That Lee could end up doing way worse against Khabib, then Iaquinta did

That "Lee is a better wrestler" doesn't mean much, and hasn't necessarily been proven

And Lee is not a great striker. His striking is just as bad as Khabibs

Where the heck is this crazy misconception coming from that Lee has way better striking?

Because Lee himself says so?

Lees striking is very average but compared to Khabib?

Saying that Khabib and Kevin are on a par for striking is patently false.

Al beat Masvidal, the guy is legit. People that discredit Al really have no Idea what the fuck they're talking about. Lee on the other hand is unproven still, he stepped up against Tony and gassed out in under 2 rounds. I believe Al would beat Tony, something Lee couldn't do. Al is underated imo and Lee is overated.
this has to be a troll post

Even with his inactivity, Ive always thought Al was a good fighter and was always shit on for no reason. He matches up badly with a lot of fighters. Id be curious how he would do against Ferg or a rematch with Lee.

Al is the man....

If you've been around MMA for a while, and understand how crazed illogical fanbases work? This makes perfect sense. Allow me to explain.

The only flak Al is getting right now is from Conor's fanbase. They're using him as a scapegoat to show why Khabib isn't as good as anyone says he is, while at the same time completely downplaying Al's actual level of skill. It's adorable.

This is how it's going to work for the next month or so. Until Khabib completely humiliates Conor and gives his fanbase a very hard dose of reality.

Not that it's the main reason but this will be the first time Kevin Lee hasn't fought at least 3 times in a year in his entire career (iirc) while Al fights every huge once in a while when his sheds aren't selling.People like active and successful fighters.Al is good and I love to watch him fight,but he's annoying as hell,never fights and is just generally easy to root against.I don't dislike him but I don't really care for him either.

Are we talking about a real estate agent setting up cookies for an open house in the same post as a legit title contender when healthy?

Not impressive enough to become the paper belt LW champion.

Not by a long shot

So yes, the mockery is justified; especially with that boxing style padded record Habib has.

How would you have done it? Let Conor hold the belt and not fight at all? It's not Khabib's fault Tony didn't show up.

He would smash Khabib.

You just showed him at 21 years old. Forgive him for being a 21 year old who hadn't hit his peak yet smh.

I'm sure he hadn't hit his peak yet. I still don't see a huge reason for the hype. I expect Khabib to maul him like he does everyone else. Neither Kevin's striking or grappling makes me think he can beat Khabib.

Al’s heart isn’t in the game anymore since he realized how little money mma is gonna make him, on top of that he had lengthy and expensive surgeries

How would you have done it? Let Conor hold the belt and not fight at all? It's not Khabib's fault Tony didn't show up.

I’m just saying that the circumstances say more about Dana trying to pressure Conor than Habib earning a bonafide title after a legitimate career of achievement.

But let’s not pretend Habib hasn’t also done his fair share of “not showing up” throughout his tenure — particularly in the big leagues.

Back