Kevin Lee has a longer reach than Junior dos Santos

fun fact: all of the current champions have average to short wingspans for their height, aside from Jones and Usman.

If reach is so important, why are armlets dominating?

Because reach is just one of the many attributes that make up a fighter. I'm not saying you can't be good unless you have a long reach, but it's definitely a benefit to have. Look at how Jones uses his reach to keep people away, look at how Tony uses it to D'Arce people from all angles (can't do that with Artem reach). Imagine if Holloway had Lee's reach for example. You don't think that would help him?

Because reach is just one of the many attributes that make up a fighter. I'm not saying you can't be good unless you have a long reach, but it's definitely a benefit to have. Look at how Jones uses his reach to keep people away, look at how Tony uses it to D'Arce people from all angles (can't do that with Artem reach). Imagine if Holloway had Lee's reach for example. You don't think that would help him?
On paper I would agree it is an advantage. But in practice longer armed fighters are constantly outboxed by the armlets.
giphy.gif

OffensiveHilariousIchthyostega-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

The skinny long-limbed types seem to fare better with a BJJ heavy game but the era of BJJ champions is long gone.

Some fighters use reach/length very well and some don't. Jones is a master. But it has to be combined with other skills and athleticism. If reach were all that was needed, Cyrille Diabaté and Kendall Grove would've been elite.

Some fighters use reach/length very well and some don't. Jones is a master. But it has to be combined with other skills and athleticism. If reach were all that was needed, Cyrille Diabaté and Kendall Grove would've been elite.

Agreed completely.

I'm 5'10" with an 80 inch reach. Imagine if I was a fighter with great speed, cardio, chin, and power instead of working in an office at a desk all day.
LOL, are your knuckles covered in cuts from where they drag along the floor as you walk around :D

As I stated in a previous thread on this same subject. Occam's razor: Lee is lying about his reach. Alphas with height problems compensate in all kinds of ways.

What is this notion that skills are something that more athletic people can just pick up. If only this freak athlete could “get down” these top tier skills he would dominate. Maias bjj, Conors counter, Khabibs wrestling, Cruz’s movement, DJ’s transitions. These things are incrediblely hard to learn.

I'm 5'9 with 69 1/2 inch of reach.

What do you sherbrothers think? I'm good?

Al has a 70 inch reach and beat the shit out of him

Back