* Kevin Kearns writing for new site * - Kenflo's coach

MMA Training

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just to let you know Kevin Kearns will be writing for our website once or twice a week from now on. He's one of the top strength and conditioning coaches in the world and works with Kenny Florian, Marcus Davis, Stephan Bonnar and more.

Check back every few days to see more from Kevin. Sign up for the newsletter to get more.

Here's his first submission

Push And Pull: An essential pillar of human strength : MMA Articles : MMATraining.com

Very mediocre and 'standard' article, try harder.

If youre gonna bash another coach in your article at least provide some actual information yourself rather than "do rows and bench on a med ball, its better"

Very mediocre and 'standard' article, try harder.

If youre gonna bash another coach in your article at least provide some actual information yourself rather than "do rows and bench on a med ball, its better"

I don't remember what Ken's coach had them doing... was it really a bunch of isolation work? and wasn't the complaint from the fighter about ken having a strength coach instead of a ground coach not the program itself?

no wait! I remember! It was cause he asked Freeman a diet question about making weight and he had no good advice for him cause his background was primarily in bodybuilding.

I dunno, I dont see the point of having a strength coach on a show that lasts about a month.

I dunno, I dont see the point of having a strength coach on a show that lasts about a month.

I don't either, but none of this makes the out of context reference in the article pertinent to the information that follows.

Almost everything Ive read about training starts with a paragraph or two saying how everyone else is wrong, so its not too surprising.

no wait! I remember! It was cause he asked Freeman a diet question about making weight and he had no good advice for him cause his background was primarily in bodybuilding.

Freeman was telling the fighters to eat steak and chicken and Herman asked if steak was the best food to eat while trying to make weight, don't know what the response was.

Having Freeman on there didn't help with the fighting but I think he helped one or two of the guys make weight.

And they didn't do isolation work on that show, they didn't show any of there strength training but Khalib posted on here that they did really good strength training routines (with weights) but only did it twice and the fighters ended up gassing or something.

Freeman was telling the fighters to eat steak and chicken and Herman asked if steak was the best food to eat while trying to make weight, don't know what the response was.

Having Freeman on there didn't help with the fighting but I think he helped one or two of the guys make weight.
Which makes it COMPLETELY irrelevant to the topics discussed in the article. It was just a "yeah, so many people are training wrong, just look at this quote from a discussion that had nothing to do with lifting whatsoever...." type statement. It's just funny to me, that somebody who would like to be thought of as so reputable would put something so blatantly out of context in an article that already lacks evidence, explanation, and scientific backing.

In the end, neither of those exercises is inherently bad, but it's such a small piece of the puzzle that I don't understand why kearns thought there needed to be an article on it. Instead of helping people put together a well founded routine, I'd worry about people basing all of their weight training around this type of crap.

Back