Kevin Iole: Alistair Overeem fully deserves his license

Jay Jay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mma--alistair-overeem-s-situation-provides-platform-for-commissions-to-set-strict-ped-precedent-211435867.html
Keith Kizer, the executive director of the Nevada commission who often comes under attack from journalists and the public for not doing more to stem the tide of PED usage, deserves a huge amount of credit not only for ordering the random test that caught Overeem but then for subsequently testing Overeem repeatedly during his commission-imposed suspension.

In an era when those seeking to circumvent drug testing are far better funded than those trying to catch them, Kizer did yeoman's work to ensure, as best as possible, that Overeem is clean.

Overeem was testing himself throughout his nine-month suspension and forwarding the results to Kizer and the commission. This is where Kizer made a brilliant move, and showed his commitment to keeping PEDs out of the fight game.

On several occasions, shortly after Overeem had voluntarily submitted a blood and urine sample to prove his innocence, Kizer ordered him to submit to another test. An athlete who uses PEDs will often use them right after he or she has passed a drug test. The thinking is that they'll be clear for a while and can cheat with impunity.

Kizer knew that and ordered Overeem to be tested within a few days of when Overeem had had himself tested.

Overeem passed all of the tests, both the ones he did on his own and those ordered by Kizer. He rightfully was given his license by the commission on Tuesday via a unanimous vote, allowing him to fight Antonio "Big Foot" Silva at UFC 156 on Feb. 2 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

I agree, and i'm not an Overeem sympathizer.

I also think Kizer gets a little too much hate.

So to folks here who said Overeem could have used banned substances during the suspension period only to abstain from them right before a fight, think again.

Because Keith Kizer took all the appropriate measures and ensured that Overeem actually "earned" his license from the commission

I love Reem and feel it is just. I wish they could test all fighters with matches coming up this way about two-three months before and after the fights.

He fully deserves it because hes found a way to work the system. Gotta work hard for your right to fight, nawmean?

Is he being singled out more than other guys that got busted?

Sadly, knowing what we know about PEDs, undetectable steroids, and HGH, I will still have a hard time believing he's clean.

But, he's passed all the tests, and he rightfully deserves his license back at this time.

Whoa whoa, lets not get crazy here

I see him around from time to time, and he really seems like a pleasant guy. He's just got a lot of shit to deal with.

I look at him like that corporate manager that comes into the office to deal with bullshit; you're going to hate him no matter what, because he's a rich bastard with a lot of power who uses it. But does that make every move he makes a bad one? I don't think so.

He also brings Nevada a lot of money and we're really hurting for it now.

So to folks here who said Overeem could have used banned substances during the suspension period only to abstain from them right before a fight, think again.

Because Keith Kizer took all the appropriate measures and ensured that Overeem actually "earned" his license from the commission

I'm not saying he did use during his suspension, but it is possible to pass every single one of those tests while actively using.

I see him around from time to time, and he really seems like a pleasant guy. He's just got a lot of shit to deal with.

I look at him like that corporate manager that comes into the office to deal with bullshit; you're going to hate him no matter what, because he's a rich bastard with a lot of power who uses it. But does that make every move he makes a bad one? I don't think so.

He also brings Nevada a lot of money and we're really hurting for it now.

He never came off as an unpleasant guy but I feel that he doesn't do his job as well as he could. Hes too happy to keep things they way they are even tho it can be improved.

Sadly, knowing what we know about PEDs, undetectable steroids, and HGH, I will still have a hard time believing he's clean.

But, he's passed all the tests, and he rightfully deserves his license back at this time.

That applies to all fighters, does it not?

For all we know, BJ freakin Penn could be doing 10 iu of GH a day.

It's time to stop holding Overeem in different standards.

I'm glad Overeem got his license but Iole is the biggest UFC shill there is. Of course he is gonna support him getting licensed.

Back