News Kevin Holland Moving Down to 170

Possibly a good idea, but the hand speed and cardio will be much better. Two areas where he excelled in at MW

Because of his length, I don't think welters will have as easily a time taking him down, so perhaps the bad grappling defense won't matter as much.

Typically handspeed gets worse as you go down in weight as fighters are faster the lighter they are. Also takedown defense often gets worse as well when youre giving up the lower center of gravity so apparently.

Still rooting for the guy, but there's a reason a bunch of Neil Magnys dont run the 170lb division.

prepared meal prep is fine, athletes are busy, but is nobody going to mention the frozen grilled cheese sandwiches?
what the fuck is that

Good move, I hope for his sake the UFC give him 1-2 very middling guys to begin with to get accustomed. Not a big fan of him at all, but he's marketable and game.

would love to see him against Khamzat. Once looked like a collision course, but perhaps he's been too far surpassed to make this match-up anymore?

If he thought the wrestlers at 185 were bad he's going to be having a hell of a time at 170. I think if he ever gets to the top 10 without working on his TDD it'll be cause of very favorable match making and even then he won't last long.
I think in Holland case it was a case of technique but he also got outmuscled pretty bad at MW.

BTW... who are those great wrestlers at WW? You have Usman and Colby who are #1 and #2 and Kevin is light years below them. Burns too but he is #3 .

Then you have Brady, Chiesa and ChimaGOAT. The rest of the top 15 are mostly stand and bang dudes.

His TDD looked bad against guys like Brunson and Marvin but they were much bigger than him and all they did on the ground was trying to hold him there. It really isn't THAT bad and he has decent BBJ that could actually work against guys his size. Suggesting that a fight with a 5'9 LW Kevin Lee would be throwing him to the wolves (as somebody said before) is ridiculous. I think he would do much better at WW than MW, unless the cut fucks with his game but i doubt it, those WWs cut pretty much the same or more than he will be.

Scheduling a fight with Holland is like a camp at Dagestan. Suddenly you are a wrestler.

With all the wrestlers at 170 I thought bulking up and staying at 185 was his better bet. Either way, best of luck. Fun fighter.

I'm honestly not sure if that's a good idea, and I'm somewhat surprised about the near consensus here that it is.
1. WW doesn't have weaker grappling than the MW division.
2. There's the possibility that Kevin will be significantly weaker and more of a lanklet, which really doesn't help much with wrestling either.
3. I think it's going to be a tough cut which probably won't be beneficial to his overall performance.

I think in Holland case it was a case of technique but he also got outmuscled pretty bad at MW.

BTW... who are those great wrestlers at WW? You have Usman and Colby who are #1 and #2 and Kevin is light years below them. Burns too but he is #3 .

Then you have Brady, Chiesa and ChimaGOAT. The rest of the top 15 are mostly stand and bang dudes.
You also have Kevin Lee, Magny, Salikhov and even Masvidal. Now obviously these guys aren't the best grapplers in the world but based on Kevin's last few fights where his TDD was tested and failed and the possibility that he loses much of his endurance on a tough weight cut, I think the struggle at 170 has a high chance of being too much. But we shall see.

TDD or gtfo no matter the weightclass...sprawl baby sprawl;)

You also have Kevin Lee, Magny, Salikhov and even Masvidal. Now obviously these guys aren't the best grapplers in the world but based on Kevin's last few fights where his TDD was tested and failed and the possibility that he loses much of his endurance on a tough weight cut, I think the struggle at 170 has a high chance of being too much. But we shall see.
Kevin Lee sucks and has 1 round of cardio.
Masvidal will not grapple. Magny offensive grappling is not stellar but he could impose a wall and stall gameplan. IDK if he can outmuscle Kevin in the clinch.. Magny is kind of weak.

Kevin Lee sucks and has 1 round of cardio.
Masvidal will not grapple. Magny offensive grappling is not stellar but he could impose a wall and stall gameplan. IDK if he can outmuscle Kevin in the clinch.. Magny is kind of weak.
All good points, I'm just assuming this weight cut for Holland is as bad as I think it will be. Masvidal might grapple though, he surprised Chiesa with his grappling so it's always an ace up his sleeve I feel. Magny might look weak but he's incredibly crafty with plenty of heart. His resume is filled with great names.

Back