Kevin Holland just can't stop shooting himself in the foot

U guys are idiots, they wanted to strike with each other. Fuck that winning rounds hugging shit.

hey cockboy, Holland literally started shooting in round 4 because his corner told him he gave away 2 rounds and Wonderboy was beginning to cash in on his investments.

he was cool with kickboxing rules until Wonderboy started breaking his body apart.

I gotta feel for the guy…Holland needs to head back to the gym and do a reevaluation of his game after these last two. Maybe fundamentally. Outstruck badly and outgrappled in his last two.

Throughly entertaining fight. I hope he bounces back from this.

he loses to the best strikers, even when he has a reach/size advantage
he loses to grapplers

he kind of found his niche being an entertainer. he can take shots and has enough power to put people on skates if he connects.

I think Kevin should take a break and regroup. This is his second hard loss in a row now. I can't see it getting any better if he takes another fight again without figuring his shit out first.

he definitely needs a break. I think every fighter should be forced to take a lengthy break after that much brain damage.

he loses to the best strikers, even when he has a reach/size advantage
he loses to grapplers

he kind of found his niche being an entertainer. he can take shots and has enough power to put people on skates if he connects.

I mean, if he just hooks up with a really good striking coach there's a lot of things that could be fixed with his stand-up and he'll be one of the best.

I'm not saying his current striking coaches are bad, just that he learned a lot of cool shit but needs stuff to fill up his skill set.

Stephen Thompson - chose not to assume top control twice. Had 2 free rounds that probably would have resulted in a decision win for him (would have tired out Wonderboy, took out some of his power, delayed his momentum)

Chimaev - went for the glove touch and gave Chimaev an extra foot of distance and extra 2 seconds to initiate the grappling.

He's only 30 years old though. I really hope he focuses on winning instead of getting extra fan support and makes the most out of what should be his prime.
I was going to make a thread similar to this. I'll start by saying Kevin Holland is a talented, fun and tough dude. Is it possible to be too much of a company guy? He has a hole in his game which is wrestling. What does he do? Steps up to fight Khamzat with no preparation. So Dana rewards him by giving him an old Wonderboy, headlining a card. What is Holland's gameplan? He is going to out Wonderboy Wonderboy? It's like Holland is channeling his inner Sean Strickland when coming up with his strategy. It was a fun fight and very entertaining to watch but it seems like Holland is giving away his career.

I don’t think he would’ve controlled WB on the ground. He ain’t Woodley ffs

He had a solid top half to 3/4 mount with WB flat on his back and just literally let go and stood back up.

WB has good takedown defense, once he’s on his back, his defense lines are mediocre.

Yeah this was very poor fight IQ today. Underestimated Thompson I guess.
It's hard to talk shit about getting taken down then when you're on the other end not do the same thing. Respect to him though.

He had a solid top half to 3/4 mount with WB flat on his back and just literally let go and stood back up.

WB has good takedown defense, once he’s on his back, his defense lines are mediocre.
He has gone against the best grapplers in the division but mediocre? Whatever, the idea that Holland has the ability to hold him down is insane but if that’s your hill…

he definitely needs a break. I think every fighter should be forced to take a lengthy break after that much brain damage.
Well with his hand break he definitely will be off for some months now. Perhaps that was a blessing in disguise for him.

I think Kevin should take a break and regroup. This is his second hard loss in a row now. I can't see it getting any better if he takes another fight again without figuring his shit out first.

He's 2-4 in his last 6. His career definitely unraveled before his eyes in a quick time.

He's 2-4 in his last 6. His career definitely unraveled before his eyes in a quick time.
Because he isn't fighting intelligently or picking his fights intelligently. He should have never taken the Brunson fight. He should have never taken the Vettori fight. He should have never taken the Khazmat fight. Then when he finally takes a match up he actually had a chance in he fights a stupid fight and loses. Don't get me wrong. I like Holland. I just think he's making a lot of bad decisions for whatever reason.

Stephen Thompson - chose not to assume top control twice. Had 2 free rounds that probably would have resulted in a decision win for him (would have tired out Wonderboy, took out some of his power, delayed his momentum)

Chimaev - went for the glove touch and gave Chimaev an extra foot of distance and extra 2 seconds to initiate the grappling.

He's only 30 years old though. I really hope he focuses on winning instead of getting extra fan support and makes the most out of what should be his prime.

I hope his improves too but ultimately this is his livelihood and being fan friendly is probably more important than having a slightly higher winning percentage.

Kevin Holland is a capable fighter, he seems like a cool dude, and he has proven to be pretty darn tough.

It's not that Holland lacks intelligence; he is very quick-witted.

What Holland lacks is intensity.

Most truly great fighters (whether they be stoic out of the ring, or playful out of the ring) — are deadly serious in the ring.

Kevin Holland is too lackadaisical in his thinking, in his approach, and how he fights, etc.

His lanky build gives him certain advantages, but his limp, nonchalant basic mindset is his greatest impediment.

Holland simply does not view himself as a Champion, nor does he carry himself as a Champion.

He doesn't have Champion-level poise, focus, or intensity,

Holland will always be "just a cool dude," who's a talented fighter, lacking kjiller focus.

Because he isn't fighting intelligently or picking his fights intelligently. He should have never taken the Brunson fight. He should have never taken the Vettori fight. He should have never taken the Khazmat fight. Then when he finally takes a match up he actually had a chance in he fights a stupid fight and loses. Don't get me wrong. I like Holland. I just think he's making a lot of bad decisions for whatever reason.

The dude can't stop a takedown to save his life and he's a frail physically weak guy at 170 or 185lbs avoiding decent grapplers won't save him from being exposed. If you can't beat Brunson when Brunson 40...well the guy has no contender or perennial top 10 potential in either division. There's too many hard fights for him to cherry pick his way through. He doesn't actually have a enough star power to just be fed "fun fights" either, this Thompson fight was probably the biggest bone he will get thrown of his career.

Probably the absolute worst way to fight Wonderboy. You literally could not draw up a stupider game plan. For a minute there, I thought Holland was going to help Wonderboy to his feet and dust him off.

hey cockboy, Holland literally started shooting in round 4 because his corner told him he gave away 2 rounds and Wonderboy was beginning to cash in on his investments.

he was cool with kickboxing rules until Wonderboy started breaking his body apart.
When did he shoot? I remember them clinching mostly.

Holland only got a fight this far up the rankings with Wonderboy because they were both looking for a fun striking matchup. Him taking this fight under that pretense and then wrestling Wonderboy would have been a joke.

Back