Kevin Holland just can't stop shooting himself in the foot

BJJ Lover

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Stephen Thompson - chose not to assume top control twice. Had 2 free rounds that probably would have resulted in a decision win for him (would have tired out Wonderboy, took out some of his power, delayed his momentum)

Chimaev - went for the glove touch and gave Chimaev an extra foot of distance and extra 2 seconds to initiate the grappling.

He's only 30 years old though. I really hope he focuses on winning instead of getting extra fan support and makes the most out of what should be his prime.

That's a big ask to not want him to be like Michael Chandler and just abandon Fight IQ for the sake of entertaining the fans, I like Holland, but his Coaches told him to not be prideful and start grappling but it was too little too late.

Yea he should just held TOP position when he got it. Probably would have gotten him 3 rounds in the bank

I think Kevin should take a break and regroup. This is his second hard loss in a row now. I can't see it getting any better if he takes another fight again without figuring his shit out first.

They probably had a pact. Which Wonder Boy accidentally broke for a quick sec, before he realized.

Maybe he understand he’ll never be champ-level? Tonight was a favorable match-up and he got beaten up pretty badly. The fight will be remembered for a long time, though. The UFC will continue to love him. Yeah, Idk, I think you’re ultimately right, but it made for a great end of the card.

He called out Wonderboy precisely because he didn't want a fight with any grappling in it.

Still, he tried after he was hurt to the liver, but it was too late by then.

I was rooting for WB but even I couldn’t help raging out at Holland for refusing to inflict damage on WB on the ground. Dude also has good submissions, didn’t even work for one.

One of the worst performances I’ve seen.

If he wanted to stand and bang with WB, it would’ve been smarter to do after beating him up on the ground.

There was nothing on the line other than pride …. Mad respect to holland

it wasn’t a title eliminator

he stood with wonderboy and tried his best … showed tremendous toughness

Yeah, I bet he was regretting not grappling when it started not going his way. That said, I was very entertained from start to finish, I hope the dude at least gets a nice bonus for this performance.

Yes, he probably could've grappled Steven for a win. But they had a gentlemen's agreement to kickbox. A brash move from Kevin but let's not act like this was some sudden idiotic lapse of judgement
Exactly, they wanted to strike. Let them strike. In the early rounds they were clinched and talking and holland was saying ima let go, lets do this. Amazing fight.

Back