Social Kevin Hart steps down as Oscar Host

You are reducing what Kevin Hart said here to a simple, "I would prefer to have grandchildren one day," and that is not the situation. That is a fine opinion for him to hold, and he could much more easily defend that statement without controversy.

But what he actually said was that he'd smash his kid on the head for acting gay. That indicates more disgust than disappointment to most people. He did not give the impression he simply wanted grandchildren, he gave the impression he'd be so appalled by the gayness that he'd smash his kid on the head.

It's a very relatable thing for people who have racist parents who say similar things about dating outside of their race. The feeling you get from those statements is the same, since the impression they are sending is that they will reject you for your nature.
saying "I'd like my kids to not be gay" is not a comedic statement. Say "I'd smash my kid in the head if he turned gay" is a comedic statement. Kevin Hart is a comedian, he makes comedic statements

Yet they didn't boycott that game, did they? The fans didn't either. Courtside ticket prices were higher than ever, and sold out. Viewership was higher than ever. Sales of Clippers apparel and swag on the NBA store was soaring. The same was true for the entire NBA. This was well after the scandal emerged. The fans had plenty of time to vote with their wallets, and they certainly did.

They didn't care.

Your "it's a business" rationale is bullshit, and I'm calling you on it.

I wanted to point out that they did care.

The reason the Clippers weren't affected by this scandal was largely due to how quickly the NBA management came down on Donald Sterling.

25 April 2014 - TMZ releases the recording of Sterling that included racist comments. "It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you're associating with black people", and, "You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want", but "the little I ask you is ... not to bring them to my games".

29 April (4 days later) - NBA commissioner Adam Silver fined Sterling $2.5 mil and banned him from the league for life. He lost all his authority with the Clippers and was barred from entering any Clippers facility and any NBA games. Silver also stated he would force Sterling to sell the Clippers based on violations of rules.

Donald Sterling's relationship with the Clippers and the NBA was nuked beyond repair from that scandal. There was NO doubt that Sterling was eventually going to sell the Clippers. The question was how much was he going to get and when. The Clippers were playoff contenders but also victims in this fiasco hence why there were really no fallouts from it thanks to the NBA brass acting so quickly. Fans didn't have to leave because the "problem" had been removed from the team already.

Last edited:
saying "I'd like my kids to not be gay" is not a comedic statement. Say "I'd smash my kid in the head if he turned gay" is a comedic statement. Kevin Hart is a comedian, he makes comedic statements

Neither one of those statements is inherently comedic, but anything can be comedic to the right audience. Saying that something is comedic does not automatically make it acceptable to everybody. Sometimes jokes do not sound like jokes. That is the risk you run as an edgy comedian, especially if you are making dry jokes on Twitter.

You guys are getting too wrapped up in the inconsequential details of the story. You keep focusing on whether or not people should be hurt or offended by what he said, but that is not up to you. I am focusing on whether or not Kevin Hart had the right to Tweet what he did, whether the Oscars had the right to ask him to address it publicly, and whether or not Kevin Hart had the right to say no.

From my perspective, they all had the right to do what they did. Everybody did exactly what they wanted to do.

I wanted to point out that they did care.

The reason the Clippers weren't affected by this scandal was largely due to how quickly the NBA management came down on Donald Sterling.

25 April 2014 - TMZ releases the recording of Sterling that included racist comments. "It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you're associating with black people", and, "You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want", but "the little I ask you is ... not to bring them to my games".

29 April (4 days later) - NBA commissioner Adam Silver fined Sterling $2.5 mil and banned him from the league for life. He lost all his authority with the Clippers and was barred from entering any Clippers facility and any NBA games. Silver also stated he would force Sterling to sell the Clippers based on violations of rules.

Donald Sterling's relationship with the Clippers and the NBA was nuked beyond repair from that scandal. There was NO doubt that Sterling was eventually going to sell the Clippers. The question was how much was he going to get and when. The Clippers were playoff contenders but also victims in this fiasco hence why there were really no fallouts from it thanks to the NBA brass acting so quickly. Fans didn't have to leave because the "problem" had been removed from the team already.

You know what the ending was in all of this? Some idiot, Steve Ballmer, massively overpaid for the Clippers. A total con. So the racist white guy made out at the end selling his team for way more than it is worth.

Shelly Sterling lived in her estranged husband and real estate mogul Donald’s shadow for decades. But shortly before her 80th birthday, Shelly proved to the world that she, too, has a strong business acumen, by getting former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to overpay for the Clippers, she said in a Thursday interview.

Sterling might have had no idea who Ballmer was when he approached her to buy the basketball team, but she told the Associated Press that she knew she had an eager customer.

“He was a like a little child,” she said. “He was so excited, so happy.”

Although Sterling said that they “sort of connected” and she “felt he would be good for the team,” that also didn’t stop her from getting what the AP declared an “unprecedented” offer for the team.

Sterling had first received an offer of $1.65 billion for the team from potential buyer David Geffen, but after talking to Ballmer, he offered her $1.9 billion. But Sterling wasn’t done: After Ballmer had tried to move the Sacramento Kings to Seattle, she made him promise he would keep the Clippers in Los Angeles.

“I told him, ‘you won’t have to build an arena or a practice field.’ So he was getting a bargain,” Sterling told the AP. “And I told him, ‘We have great players, a great coach and you’ll never have the chance to buy a team in Los Angeles again.'” An inspired Ballmer upped the offer to $2 billion and offered Sterling floor seats to every game as owner emeritus. “He really really wanted the team,” Sterling said.

You know what the ending was in all of this? Some idiot, Steve Ballmer, massively overpaid for the Clippers. A total con. So the racist white guy made out at the end selling his team for way more than it is worth.

Shelly Sterling lived in her estranged husband and real estate mogul Donald’s shadow for decades. But shortly before her 80th birthday, Shelly proved to the world that she, too, has a strong business acumen, by getting former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to overpay for the Clippers, she said in a Thursday interview.

Sterling might have had no idea who Ballmer was when he approached her to buy the basketball team, but she told the Associated Press that she knew she had an eager customer.

“He was a like a little child,” she said. “He was so excited, so happy.”

Although Sterling said that they “sort of connected” and she “felt he would be good for the team,” that also didn’t stop her from getting what the AP declared an “unprecedented” offer for the team.

Sterling had first received an offer of $1.65 billion for the team from potential buyer David Geffen, but after talking to Ballmer, he offered her $1.9 billion. But Sterling wasn’t done: After Ballmer had tried to move the Sacramento Kings to Seattle, she made him promise he would keep the Clippers in Los Angeles.

“I told him, ‘you won’t have to build an arena or a practice field.’ So he was getting a bargain,” Sterling told the AP. “And I told him, ‘We have great players, a great coach and you’ll never have the chance to buy a team in Los Angeles again.'” An inspired Ballmer upped the offer to $2 billion and offered Sterling floor seats to every game as owner emeritus. “He really really wanted the team,” Sterling said.

I am sorry but how much are you worth? Steve Ballmer is worth $40 billion. If he wants to overpay for a professional sports team located in one the largest market in the US then that would his right. As if the chance of buying an NBA team (or any professional team from the big 4 sports in the US) comes up regularly. LOL.

I am sorry but how much are you worth? Steve Ballmer is worth $40 billion. If he wants to overpay for a professional sports team located in one the largest market in the US then that would his right. As if the chance of buying an NBA team (or any professional team from the big 4 sports in the US) comes up regularly. LOL.

He's still universally recognized as a moron and Microsoft's stock went up when he stepped down. Voted worse CEO.

Zuck is richer and a better CEO.

msft-stock-price-640-copy.jpg

-1x-1.png

Last edited:
He's still universally recognized as a moron and Microsoft's stock went up when he stepped down. Voted worse CEO.

Zuck is richer and a better CEO.

msft-stock-price-640-copy.jpg

-1x-1.png

Why am I suppose to care who's the better billionaire???

The argument was about Donald Sterling being an idiot and losing his NBA team.

Btw your post was slightly incorrect (or confusing maybe). Donald Sterling is currently still banned from the NBA.

His wife (or ex-wife I dunno) Shelly Sterling is the one with the floor seats to every game as owner emeritus.

In plain English didn't Sterling basically just say "I don't care if you fuck them just don't parade around with them embarrassing me"?

In plain English didn't Sterling basically just say "I don't care if you fuck them just don't parade around with them embarrassing me"?

Something like that. It was all sorts of ridiculous. Guy profits off of a mainly black NBA team, dates a black woman, but doesn't want the black woman being seen with other black people at the games.

That's some kind of 4D racism.

Something like that. It was all sorts of ridiculous. Guy profits off of a mainly black NBA team, dates a black woman, but doesn't want the black woman being seen with other black people at the games.

That's some kind of 4D racism.

Yeah but why did his comments specifically mention black guys?

"It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you're associating with black people", and, "You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want", but "the little I ask you is ... not to bring them to my games".

So she's allowed to bring white guys, middle eastern, Asians, Latinos but not black.. at a basketball game?? If his comments were replaced with men for example then this would be a non-issue but he specifically narrowed it to black guys. And this supposedly was triggered by the chick posting an Instagram picture with Magic Johnson... Not some scrub off the streets but Magic Johnson.. he's practically royalty in LA area but apparently it's an embarrassment for Donald Sterling...

I can't make any sense of it at all.

Yeah but why did his comments specifically mention black guys?

"It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you're associating with black people", and, "You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want", but "the little I ask you is ... not to bring them to my games".

So she's allowed to bring white guys, middle eastern, Asians, Latinos but not black.. at a basketball game?? If his comments were replaced with men for example then this would be a non-issue but he specifically narrowed it to black guys. And this supposedly was triggered by the chick posting an Instagram picture with Magic Johnson... Not some scrub off the streets but Magic Johnson.. he's practically royalty in LA area but apparently it's an embarrassment for Donald Sterling...

I can't make any sense of it at all.

I don't know. It's like his brain was trying to hang onto to the little bit of racism it had left, after years of progress. It's like most of his brain cells have all moved on from the 50's and 60's racist mindset, but he's got one or two left in there that insist on "keeping it real", and they got their two cents in during that convo.

Like seriously, who other than middle aged or old women like my Mother even watch this crap show? The host could be Billy Crystal in a wheelchair and no one would notice.

Back