Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Kevin Hart Steps Down as Oscar Host
kevin-hart.jpg

Variety said:
Wednesday afternoon, comedian Kevin Hart was announced as the host for the upcoming 91st annual Academy Awards. By Thursday night, he had stepped down.

The turn of events followed outcry over previous anti-gay tweets, and comments Hart made during stand-up routines nearly 10 years ago. Some of the tweets were feverishly deleted throughout the day on Thursday, leading to an Instragram video from the comedian that only made matters worse for him.

“My team calls me, ‘Oh my God, Kevin, everyone’s upset by tweets you did years ago,'” he said in that video. “Guys, I’m nearly 40 years old. If you don’t believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don’t know what to tell you. If you want to hold people in a position where they always have to justify the past, do you. I’m the wrong guy, man.”

Those words rang as a defiant non-apology for many. Hours later, Hart resurfaced with another video stating that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences had given him an ultimatum: Apologize or we’ll find a new host.

“I chose to pass on the apology,” the 39-year-old actor-comedian said in the video. “The reason why I passed is because I’ve addressed this several times. This is not the first time this has come up. I’ve addressed it. I’ve spoken on it. I’ve said where the rights and wrongs were. I’ve said who I am now versus who I was then. I’ve done it. I’m not going to continue to go back and tap into the days of old when I’ve moved on and I’m in a completely different place in my life.”

That, too, rang hollow for many. Less than two hours later, Hart announced via Twitter that he was removing himself from the gig, and he finally offered the apology everyone was looking for.

Even the most commercially successful mainstream standup comic of all time, Kevin Hart, isn't mainstream or vanilla enough (I'm not using that in a racial sense) to survive this era of mentally diseased leftism.

This isn't liberalism. This is about as far as you can get from authentic liberalism before you start imprisoning people & dropping heads in lunch baskets.

You don't have to apologize, Kevin. You're a goddamn comic.

#TeamAmericaStillHasAHart

*Edit* Here's the Instagram video Kevin recorded:

Last edited:
That's unfortunate. Kevin Hart seems like a fantastically talented person.

A lot of women are on twitter right now talking about how he's cancelled and this and that.

People need to learn how to take a joke

He actually is (or was) legitimately homophobic and that's his right. Most of the material didn't really consist of jokes, just ignorant statements made in interviews and various lame tweets although ":eek::eek::eek:" by itself is pretty inoffensive and yeah, this is stupid.

He’s not funny anyways.

Last edited:
This touches a more general point with social media. What world will we leave to our kids if there will be an everlasting repository of your past transgressions? Most of us grew up when there was no risk of landing on Facebook when getting shitfaced for the first time. Will we only get streamlined people adjusting themselves to the assumed expectations?

Last edited:
He was only chosen because he’s black and in some recent movies.
2w59buv.gif

Kevin Hart Becomes First U.S. Comedian to Sell One Million Tickets in Less Than Six Months
You trying to win Sherdog's Most Racist poster award?

Not sure if you've been paying attention, but black comedians have sort of being running this shit since the 70's. Pryor, Cosby, Murphy, Rock, Chappelle, Williams, and now Hart. None of these geniuses ever required an ounce of affirmative action to deserve their legend. It was earned.

I hope they can find a non binary ethnic host who has never said a wrong thing to replace him with .

yes, yes, not at all because he's been selling out literal stadiums. the likes of which very few comedians have ever done before.

edit: ol' @Madmick got there before I did.

Not sure if you've been paying attention, but black comedians have sort of being running this shit since the 70's. Pryor, Cosby, Murphy, Rock, Chappelle, Williams, and now Hart. None of these geniuses ever required an ounce of affirmative action to deserve their legend. It was earned.

Hah, almost forgot Richard Pryor was bisexual.

I don't find Hart that funny, but the reason he's been in recent movies is that people seem to love him. He and the Rock are basically guaranteed money for whatever lame action comedy your studio wants to shat out.

I agree with this. If you ever say anything that is offensive against a marginalized group in your entire life you should not be allowed to be seen in public. Thank god.

At least he didn't have to step far.

When will people learn, apologising doesn’t satiate these crazies.

Back