Kettlebell Swings vs Cleans???

ben236

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I hate cleans... I can do them decently, but if I lift too much weight my form goes to shit.

That being said, I've recently been doing Kettlebell swings and have been getting a very good workout from them, and I find that they work the same muscle groups as cleans do.

Also, I'm very big on squats, deadlifts and snatches.
So, that being said, are Kettlebell swings a decent substitute to cleans???

If not, please tell me why.

Thanks

Last edited:
Whoever heard of a 1rm swing? Or swings at 80% for 5 sets of 3? The point is even if they have some technical similarities, they're programmed differently.

If you already have the kettlebells available I say go ahead.

They're good for assistance work, but are expensive as fuck.

If you already have the kettlebells available I say go ahead.

They're good for assistance work, but are expensive as fuck.

The gym I go to has them... $$$ is not an issue

If you think KB swings are a replacement for cleans then you are doing cleans wrong.

Cleans aren't meant to be done for high reps. The whole point of a clean is to develop power and explosiveness (heavy singles and doubles most of the time). If you are doing them for high reps then go ahead and replace them with KB swings as it's a much simpler exercise.

Last edited:
Kettlebell swings aren't as form-dependent or power generating, they are used more often as a conditioning exercise. They aren't replacements, but if you don't want to do cleans, then don't. You aren't a pro athlete so theres no need to do shit you hate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back