Kettle bells for Grappling

SuperAzn812

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I was wondering if anybody uses kettle bells as a source of conditioning for grappling/BJJ.

I just graduated out of school, can't afford a gym membership yet, and don't really have any knowledge about about proper strength conditioning since I used to get my conditioning through BJJ. All I own is some free weights and 2 kettle bells.

Until I can afford gym memberships, are there any grappling specific programs out there I can use?

I heard Steve Maxwell had some good stuff, but I'm not sure if its worth dropping the money on his stuff. Thanks in advance.

i have been using them for years, and they offer many benefits. If you do not have access to a legit source to learn kettlebells from your best bet is to watch online instructionals. But even that is risky because there are always nuances of technique that one can only get in person.

There are a bunch of videos online that show kettle bell exercises designed for grappling.

Search for some videos on You Tube

Google "Art of Strength Program Minimum" and download, print and use the workbook.

The workbook is a companion to Pavel's "Enter the Kettlebell" DVD, a worthwhile purchase. If you can't afford to buy ETK, look up kettlebell swings and Turkish getups by Minute of Strength on youtube. While not as exhaustive as Pavel's DVD, they're excellent instruction for the 2 movements that make up the ETK Program Minimum.

Once you complete that program, you'll be ready for more advanced movements and programs like Mike Mahler and Steve Maxwell offer. Trying to do something BJJ-specific with a 35 pound ball of iron is foolish until you've built up a decent base of fitness and understanding of the basic KB movements.

Superanz shoot me a PM with your email and I'll hook you up with an ebook on kettlebells to get you started.

This is one of my favorite Kettlebell exercises for combat sports . It will challenge the grip , balance , and entire mid section ( core) . It requires coordination , similar to many basic moves in Wrestling , such as a simple arm drag . I suggest doing a minimum of 40 reps per set and even challenging yourself to go much higher . I notice that , as long as the weight is sufficient , the higher the reps the better the effect . I do many exercises that challenge the core and this ex is definitely near the top of my list . This same movement has been done with both heavy and light Indian Clubs for centuries and is referred to as a Double Outside Mill . I wouldn't be surprised if someone training with Indian Clubs decided to give it a go with Kettlebells . Give it a shot and let me know what you think . For some reason the link isn't embedding , but here it is .

http://youtu.be/eQPHxL5QikQ

This is one of my favorite Kettlebell exercises for combat sports . It will challenge the grip , balance , and entire mid section ( core) . It requires coordination , similar to many basic moves in Wrestling , such as a simple arm drag . I suggest doing a minimum of 40 reps per set and even challenging yourself to go much higher . I notice that , as long as the weight is sufficient , the higher the reps the better the effect . I do many exercises that challenge the core and this ex is definitely near the top of my list . This same movement has been done with both heavy and light Indian Clubs for centuries and is referred to as a Double Outside Mill . I wouldn't be surprised if someone training with Indian Clubs decided to give it a go with Kettlebells . Give it a shot and let me know what you think . For some reason the link isn't embedding , but here it is .

http://youtu.be/eQPHxL5QikQ

That video made me lol. I wait for the day when you enevitably knock yourself out with a kettlebell

That video made me lol. I wait for the day when you enevitably knock yourself out with a kettlebell

I literally just said "what the fuck is that?" out loud.

Yes , the movement requires lots of coordination , strength and endurance . For those that want to challenge themselves , go for it . Of course start with light weight . Once you have developed the strength and coordination to do it for high reps you will feel it is a tremendous movement . Fortunately , i have given it the effort it required and feel its helped me tremendously . Ivan ivanov , the usa olympic greco roman coach does this as well and has the athletes do it . If an olmpian isnt good enough for you then more power to you . Ignorance does no athlete any good

Back