Ketogenics and Artificial Sweetners (SugarFree Products)

unregisturd

The human grappling dummy
@Green
Reaction score
I've done some research and the best evidence I could find on either side of the arguement was anecdotal at best.

Do artificial sweetners have an impact on Ketosis?

I mean things like Splenda, Equal and phenylanaline etc.

Basically can I drink Pepsi Max, SugarFree Red Bull or chew sugar free gum once in a while?

Thanks

Interesting question, because some low-carb diets say yes, some say no

I think Sinister should be able to answer this one more definitively

Drink water, sweeetners are for girls

joking :icon_chee

I don't think eating or drinking anything "once in a while" would create a problem. If by "once in a while" you mean once a day, then idk. I'm not a nutrition expert so I'm not going to give you any wrong advice.

I use nothing but artificial sweentener and go through a pack of sugarfree gum a day, so im curious.

It depends on what sweetener we're talking about. Splenda, for example, does have some calories (but <5 per serving, so it counts as "zero calorie" for labeling purposes). For example, conceivably, if you were eating a lot of Splenda, there could be a significant number (and with ketosis, it doesn't take many to count as "significant") of extra carbs in your diet you haven't accounted for.

"Sugar free" stuff that is actually made with sugar alcohols will of course be problematic--those are still carbs which can be digested, it just takes your body awhile to do so. Erythitol might be an exception here.

And most artificial sweeteners supposedly have some effect on insulin. However, I have not seen this effect quantified anywhere. In other words, I can't say if it's an effect worth caring about.

Sinister will tell you to get a glucometer, have some splenda or whatever, and then test yourself :)

If you really want to know that is.

palumbo says that aspartame is okay on his diet, but no splenda or other things like that because those often contain fillers such as dextrose

I've heard both sides. I'm guessing it's for a drink?

I'm doing the primal diet which consists of taking in less than 50g of carbs a day. I always have coffe or green tea in the morning with splenda and have lost 17lbs in a month, so for me in seems to not be effecting ketosis.

I'm doing the primal diet which consists of taking in less than 50g of carbs a day. I always have coffe or green tea in the morning with splenda and have lost 17lbs in a month, so for me in seems to not be effecting ketosis.

your confusing low carb and ketosis

I thought that very low carb diets put your body into Ketosis.

yeah, but 50g wouldnt be quite low enough to enter ketosis. your looking at <20g per day to be truley keto. I find i do better with a greater number of carbs. Between 50g and 200g depending on what im at with training and/or competing

sub 20g and you'll reach ketosis in about 2 days. The body can only store about 2 days of glycogen so once that is depleted you'll be good to go.

I dunno if this happens for anyone else, but I can tell when I reach ketosis because my mouth feels dry despite drinking enormous amounts of water and pissing every 30 minutes lol

I dunno if this happens for anyone else, but I can tell when I reach ketosis because my mouth feels dry despite drinking enormous amounts of water and pissing every 30 minutes lol

Hahahaha, yeah, dry mouth, fruity breath and excessive pissing for me to.

As for the question I don't know the difference between sweetners but I made a keto cheesecake that the Levantar boys posted the recipe for and it had Splenda, no issue for me coming out of keto.

But it can really depend on brands etc. Anaconda was right, a glucometer and experiment is probably the advice you'll be given. It's solid too, you can read and ask all the questions in the world, but seeing what happens to you and only you can make all the difference in how you eat, perform etc.

I was drinking splenda with my daily coffees and a tablespoon of half n half cream. I cut it to just black coffee though bout 2 weeks ago and didn't notice any difference at all, not that says much of anything though haha. I started low carb at 235lbs July 23rd and just hit 216lbs. I doubt splenda/no splenda made any difference at all.

I have read that during ketosis your breath really stinks, I'm always chewing gum here at work because I am paranoid of it.

I was drinking splenda with my daily coffees and a tablespoon of half n half cream. I cut it to just black coffee though bout 2 weeks ago and didn't notice any difference at all, not that says much of anything though haha. I started low carb at 235lbs July 23rd and just hit 216lbs. I doubt splenda/no splenda made any difference at all.

I use splenda, no issues here. But it might be person to person, who knows.

sub 20g and you'll reach ketosis in about 2 days. The body can only store about 2 days of glycogen so once that is depleted you'll be good to go.

Is that just for people who are dieting alone? What about people who are actively training as well? What about variance by bodyweight?

Last edited:
Back